• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X is the worst smartphone I have owned.

I've been happier with it overall, but when I updated its word lists yesterday it really seemed to lose some of its impressive ability to get things right as I am rambling along. However, it has been improving ever since. I've seen only one annoyance recently, and I'm curious if you are seeing it too. For some reason it is always capitalizing both the first and second words in every new sentence I type. Like This. The shift key stays blue for 2 words if I don't manually type a space between them, or tap the key twice to unlock it. I keep most of the auto features turned off because I don't like how they assume the things I don't want. That was my biggest headache with Swype. Even with auto correction turned off it kept defaulting to words I never use. Like every time I entered a 7 it would spit out "76ers". Must have been programmed by a sports junkie. ;)

Upvote 0
The accuracy issues seem to have been tied to a recent update, because when I first moved to TouchPal I was quite impressed with its accuracy. I definitely have to say the accuracy was better before than it is now. But there are some other TouchPal features which will keep me loyal, such as the editing and cursor positioning afforded by the center 'pad and pencil' icon. Editing in Swype is much harder. I cannot seem to get the cursor to go where i want it.

But, to each his own. :)

Upvote 0
Much of the difficulties I experienced only happened while trying to post and edit posts I made, in forums, because of having to work in such a narrow input ribbon in landscape mode. Between the size and dryness of my fingers, using Swype or TouchPal in portrait orientation is very difficult for me, as the keys are simply too close together. I think if I had healthy and slender fingers and could use portrait mode it would have been less in issue. But the other annoyance both input apps share is the inability to maintain the width of the input area equal to the display width. Especially in portrait, the stupid app wants to keep the word I just entered OFF the visible screen, and scrolls sideways to do it! How insane is that?! They also both will not scroll the input area upward as my typing ducks under the top edge of the keyboard. So I have to do that manually. And of course touching the screen to slide it up also wants to move the cursor to where you touch, so then you have to move it back to where you are typing.

I think whoever designed this Swype technology had only short text messages in mind. Like a single line at a time.

Upvote 0
Especially in portrait, the stupid app wants to keep the word I just entered OFF the visible screen, and scrolls sideways to do it! How insane is that?! They also both will not scroll the input area upward as my typing ducks under the top edge of the keyboard. So I have to do that manually. And of course touching the screen to slide it up also wants to move the cursor to where you touch, so then you have to move it back to where you are typing.
Mine doesn't do that. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Well, there DOES seem to be one more variable in the equation. Which BROWSER do you use? Because I have found that these things (using Miren Browser) are different if I use, say, the Android version of Firefox. There is one place I post where, using Firefox, the "text box" you are presented with for entering your post can only display about 4 words! :cool: So when I want to post something there, I type it up in a notepad app and then paste it into the post. So it is evident to me that perhaps many of these issues I am complaining about are influenced by the browser used to access the page.

The reason I don't use the stock browser is that I find it to be slow and laggy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones