1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Droid X Keyboard Issues.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vexsis448, Jun 15, 2011.

1. vexsis448

vexsis448 Lurker
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Ok my touch screen works just fine for everything else but using the keyboard its acting up.. 9/10 times i click on the space button or the selected word and it shuts the keyboard on me and i have to re-open it after every word.... i do have GO launcher and a theme running, im not sure if that would be causing it or if it was this new update...? but its getting VERY annoying and it doesnt it texting and in other apps where i gotta type..
    anyone think they could help? i really doubt that it would be physical damage thats causing this...

Advertisement

2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    Try clearing the data/cache for the Multi-touch Keyboard app. Menu >settings >applications >manage applications >press the "all" tab at the top >scroll down to Multi-touch Keyboard >press on it and select clear data.

Cindym, coukim, kdizzle909 and 3 others like this.
  3. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

4. Ramprat

Ramprat Member
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    I'm having the exact same issues...clearing data does not help.

5. Ramprat

Ramprat Member
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Private web page that one needs to long on to.

Any other aftermarket keyboards recomended for the Droid X???

6. redfabulou

redfabulou Lurker
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    no i had this same problem weeks ago!! i did everything that eveyone on here has said to do. nothing worked. what finally fixed it is a setting in the multi keyboard app. take off that setting that puts the words in your memory at the top when ur typing. not the correction one. but like if u type a sentence this new update makes it remember and after i added words with friends and some other apps that day.. it was totally jacked up!! the ONLY thing that fixed it was getting rid of almost all my apps AND changing the settings to basic in the multi touch keyboard app. i promise that will fix it! havnt had an issue with it since. until today..i added words with friends again hoping it would work. now i have another keyboard problem. if im texting..i cant use any numbers or punctuation or it freeezes my screen!!!!! i have to shut the phone completely off after everytime i hit any of those buttons. omg i wish i still had my razor!

FirebirdStud likes this.
  7. Mr.Merle

Mr.Merle Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    Same issues here.....any ideas? I tried clearing all of my texts also.....

8. ASC

ASC I'm Shy
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    Male
    Construction Management
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was having the same issue. Keyboard minimizing when selecting a word or hitting the space bar, Partial letters and random lines showing in text box as I type, cursor in wrong place, words/letters not showing up as I typed, etc... I just happened to be near a Verizon Store the other day so I went in to talk to them about it. The guy looked at my phone for like 2 seconds then ordered me a free warranty replacement. :D When I got home I did some searching and found that the problem had to do with the "Next Word Prediction". I turned it off and it fixed all the issues I was having.

You can turn it off by selecting:
    Menu>>Settings>>Language & Keyboard>>Multi-Touch Keyboard>>Uncheck - Next Word Prediction

I liked the Next word Prediction feature so I did a little searching, and found that by clearing the Data on the Multi-Touch Keyboard I could turn this feature back on and the issue was still resolved.

To clear Data:
    Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Manage Applications>>All (Tab on top of screen)>>Milti-touch Keyboard (Scroll way down)>>Clear Data>>OK.

Even though I resolved the issues I was having, I think I'm going to keep the replacement they're sending me. I never put a skin on mine and after a few drops It's a tiny bit banged up. :p

clovr68, bhbinc, DWFrye64 and 3 others like this.
  9. tracylfarr

tracylfarr Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    This sooo worked! Same issue started today....now fixed!

Menu>>Settings>>Language & Keyboard>>Multi-Touch Keyboard>>Uncheck - Next Word Prediction

Thank you!

10. ZackyZombieface

None

Oct 13, 2010
    Male
    Fiber Customer Support Analyst
    Hampton, VA
    Do any of you have Zedge? Verizon told me that's what my problem was, I got rid of it and my problems are now gone. They said it was malicious.

clovr68 likes this.
  11. Grateful Diver

None

Sep 14, 2010
    Environmental Planner
    Berkeley, CA
    The various tips in this thread all seemed to have worked :D I can live without the learned words and auto-complete features. Verizon Support told me there was no fix and shipped me a replacement. Question for ASC: if I wanted to keep the replacement phone, is it possible to replicate all my settings along with apps and other data from the 'broken' phone to the replacement? I was dreading how much work it would require to personalize the replacement.

12. FirebirdStud

FirebirdStud Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Minnesota
    I clear my data and it works again.. for about a week. Then I have to clear it again. Annoying, but it does work. Im going to look at turning off that predictive word...

13. noodles1o7

noodles1o7 Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    Its a bug in the auto-correct on Droid X's. You have to unselect "Auto Correct Errors" and "next word prediction." this becomes annoying in its own way, where yuo have to correct your words yourself, but its much better than the keyboard shutting down at every space. For a while i was using a period "." between each word rather than a space.

14. Ramprat

Ramprat Member
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Have everything off and every time I use a single punctuation mark the keyboard locks up requiring a battery pull....

15. Poehring

Poehring Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2009
    Collections. Bisohp White Marshal & Weibel P.S.
    Des Moines, WA USA
    Ive used Zedge for quite some time on my G1 and now my DX. Never had a problem with it.

16. aaronsawyer

aaronsawyer Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    google to download a gingerbread keyboard. i saw this at a verizon store work twice for customers

17. eddieduce

eddieduce Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2012
    :mad:I have the Evo 3D v 4G and have the same problem. I have deleted my custom dictionary, disabled auto correct and none have worked. I will try deleting the last apps i installed, which will be really time consuming : /