1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Droid X keyboard on Eris

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nnoble83, Jun 26, 2010.

1. hrbib21

hrbib21 Android Expert

OK, same here then. Odd.

Scratch that. I checked 'Multi-touch keyboard' in Settings>Language & keyboard and then did the long press/input method stuff and was able to choose 'Multi-touch keyboard' and it is now working.

Now, I did do a restart after installing the new keyboard so maybe that makes a difference?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. The Doors

The Doors Newbie

so this has the swipe typing like the X?

3. v941726

v941726 Android Enthusiast

is there swiping?

i used xscope. opened the link in another tab. clicked d/l and another tab opens. long press on the download file and press open. installs right from xscope. then go to settings, keyboard, click multi touch, uncheck swype or shapewriter or whatever others you have, and your golden

4. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Android Expert

Well I got it installed and up now, but how it is multitouch?
    I just held A with one finger, and could not touch any other
    with another finger.

5. copestag

copestag Android Expert

hmmm maybe Im just a little slow on the uptake.......... why exactly do we need multi-touch?

I can see where the swype features would be handy for some ( I personally cant use swype or any of its counterparts, rather just type).....

I guess I just dont see a need to switch keyboards from stock unless youre giving me bigger buttons for my king kong thumbs

6. The Doors

The Doors Newbie

I tried opening it with a file manager and it says "There is a problem parsing the package." what does this mean?

7. hrbib21

hrbib21 Android Expert

It is definitely more responsive. That's reason enough for me.

8. CrazyKnight128

CrazyKnight128 Well-Known Member

I love it! Really fast and responsive, The only thing i wish is that it vibrate on keypress worked i really like that.

It would be sweet if someone could skin this keyboard to that would be sweet.

9. andrizoid

andrizoid Android Expert

i dont see what they hype is...its no different than any other keyboard in my opinion. what makes it so special?

10. boleap

boleap Newbie

Isn't this keyboard Multi-Touch?

11. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

I don't this multi-touch works on the Eris (unless I'm doing it wrong).

I just like the slightly bigger keys vs. stock or Swype keyboard. I'm going to keep playing with it to see which keyboard actually works best for me.

Thanks, 'Nestor for working to make this available to us Eris-ers! [see what I did there? no "the" prefix :D]

12. ral2108

ral2108 Newbie

the stock keyboard was always a little laggy for me. Swype was alright but not for me. this is super responsive. only thing i don't like so far is not being able to long-press for numbers and punctuation

13. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert

This is wayyyyyyyy better than stock key board. try "multi touching" which means type something like wayyyyyyy. touching 'y' repeatedly, or multi touching, works great!!!!!!!1 thanks nest!

14. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

I must have fat fingers, lol--I do like this keyboard, but the multi-touch feature that I saw demonstrated on the Droid X where you can touch one letter and still type new ones...I can't do that :thinking:

No big deal...it should work if VZW lets me do the upgrade thing and actually purchase the Droid X (one of the phones in my family's plan has its contract end date in July...I think I might be eligable...)--and, I'll still have my Eris!

15. thenestor

thenestor Android Expert

I agree, it's not doing multi touch on any phone right now, and it's annoying to switch to ?123 just to get an apostrophe. Fun to play with though.

16. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert

no need to switch to ?123... simply hit the "." twice, and you get an "," much simpler:D BTW thanks for the .zip worked great! i love this keyboard!

17. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

great keyboard. the biggest issue i had with the stock keyboard was the period key right next to the space bar. i would inadvertently hit period when hitting space bar.

this keyboard is fast and responsive. great for someone who can't root. good to know we can still pickup some cool add ons.

18. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member

Is it true that it doesn't have compact querty???

19. CrazyKnight128

I like i said i like it alot. I actually like it more than better keyboard. Its way more responsive then both better and the stock keyboard.

20. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member

I tried it out and I love it!! Soooo responsive :)

21. Busphan

Busphan Newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the multi-touch function just allows you to hold any letter with one finger and continue typing with another while doing so. I can do this with the keyboard on my eris. By the way, I'm rooted and running ELB 2.7.

22. thenestor

thenestor Android Expert

Someone else mentioned it was doing it correctly on darchdroid on their Hero, so there's something in those ROMs making it possible. It might just be the lib/libjni_*.so files in your ROM, so I'll try updating it with those and test it out.

23. CrazyKnight128

Hey,TheNestor would you be able to make the haptic feed back to work?

24. alexhendershott

alexhendershott Well-Known Member

is this confirmed working on CE Eris by Framework? I tried flashing in recovery which didn't work and I tried a file manager which says, "Application not installed."

25. thenestor

thenestor Android Expert

It will be easier for a more experienced dev to fix the haptic feedback. It realty is working, it's just too short of a duration.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews