• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X keyboard on Eris

This is what I get every time I try to install the .apk via EStrongs:

And this is what I am running:

Any idea? :-(

Oh, sorry, it has the same package name (com.android.inputmethod.latin) as your standard Android keyboard, but it's signed with different keys than your Android keyboard, so you can't upgrade to it. For anyone rooted and running a non-Sense rom, you'll have to manually push it into /system/app, and you might have to remove your LatinIME.apk or com.android.inputmethod.latin. I don't personally think it's worth it. I still like Swype better.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
roirraW "edor" ehT;1032084 said:
Thanks for this, it's always nice to have options although I do like ShapeWriter. I just downloaded today and I still see the &amp error on the numeric keypad. Did I get the wrong apk somehow?

Thanks.

Yeah, try re-downloading. (I kept changing the link in the post above every time there was a correction.) And honestly, if you're not planning to use haptic feedback, the "nonroot" version further up still works just fine and never had the "&amp" in it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, try re-downloading. (I kept changing the link in the post above every time there was a correction.) And honestly, if you're not planning to use haptic feedback, the "nonroot" version further up still works just fine and never had the "&amp" in it.

I just redownloaded a third time, but the second and third time apk's both had the same SHA1 hash as the original one I installed.

I do like haptic feedback so I'll hold out in case this gets fixed, although it's no real big deal. Not the first place I've seen &amp :D

Upvote 0

Do I have to turn haptic on? It's not a big deal, but I dl'ed the link with the haptic fix and my haptic still isn't working, I'll live without it because this one is 909098039284093x better than the Sense keyboard as far as responsiveness in the landscape orientation, but I figured I'd ask.

Upvote 0
Do I have to turn haptic on? It's not a big deal, but I dl'ed the link with the haptic fix and my haptic still isn't working, I'll live without it because this one is 909098039284093x better than the Sense keyboard as far as responsiveness in the landscape orientation, but I figured I'd ask.

I don't remember if I had to turn it on but I did notice it in the options so I may have turned it on without thinking about it.

Upvote 0
Any chance you remember where you found those options?

Absolutely. Menu/Settings/Language & keyboard/Multi-touch keyboard (right above where you had to have enabled the new keyboard before), and then the very first option, "Vibrate on keypress".

I just tested it again and I do notice that it's just faintly noticeable, but I do notice it so it's probably better for the battery with less vibration, although personally I think the ideal would just be a "tad" bit longer, however long a tad is...

Upvote 0
Oh, sorry, it has the same package name (com.android.inputmethod.latin) as your standard Android keyboard, but it's signed with different keys than your Android keyboard, so you can't upgrade to it. For anyone rooted and running a non-Sense rom, you'll have to manually push it into /system/app, and you might have to remove your LatinIME.apk or com.android.inputmethod.latin. I don't personally think it's worth it. I still like Swype better.

Just wanted to say this worked, thanks bud. Pushed to /system/app then removed LatinIME.apk.

Great work, sadly I think it might actually be slower than Androids stock. We'll see after a few days.

Upvote 0
Under Settings>Language and keyboard>Multi-Touch Keyboard.

roirraW "edor" ehT;1032377 said:
Absolutely. Menu/Settings/Language & keyboard/Multi-touch keyboard (right above where you had to have enabled the new keyboard before), and then the very first option, "Vibrate on keypress".

I just tested it again and I do notice that it's just faintly noticeable, but I do notice it so it's probably better for the battery with less vibration, although personally I think the ideal would just be a "tad" bit longer, however long a tad is...

Sweet! Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones