1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Droid X keyboard on Eris

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nnoble83, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Android Expert

I tried it and like it better than the stock keyboard, however, I still like the Compact Qwerty of the HTC far more.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. donlu30

donlu30 Lurker

Could some help me out. I have Installed using the app manager, selected multitouch in the settings menu. Bit I still do not have the X keyboard.

3. alexhendershott

alexhendershott Well-Known Member

This is what I get every time I try to install the .apk via EStrongs:

[​IMG]

And this is what I am running:

[​IMG]

Any idea? :-(

4. thenestor

thenestor Android Expert

Oh, sorry, it has the same package name (com.android.inputmethod.latin) as your standard Android keyboard, but it's signed with different keys than your Android keyboard, so you can't upgrade to it. For anyone rooted and running a non-Sense rom, you'll have to manually push it into /system/app, and you might have to remove your LatinIME.apk or com.android.inputmethod.latin. I don't personally think it's worth it. I still like Swype better.

5. Thanks for this, it's always nice to have options although I do like ShapeWriter. I just downloaded today and I still see the &amp error on the numeric keypad. Did I get the wrong apk somehow?

Thanks.

6. thenestor

thenestor Android Expert

Yeah, try re-downloading. (I kept changing the link in the post above every time there was a correction.) And honestly, if you're not planning to use haptic feedback, the "nonroot" version further up still works just fine and never had the "&amp" in it.

7. I just redownloaded a third time, but the second and third time apk's both had the same SHA1 hash as the original one I installed.

I do like haptic feedback so I'll hold out in case this gets fixed, although it's no real big deal. Not the first place I've seen &amp :D

8. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert

Do I have to turn haptic on? It's not a big deal, but I dl'ed the link with the haptic fix and my haptic still isn't working, I'll live without it because this one is 909098039284093x better than the Sense keyboard as far as responsiveness in the landscape orientation, but I figured I'd ask.

9. I don't remember if I had to turn it on but I did notice it in the options so I may have turned it on without thinking about it.

10. zerocool79346

Any chance you remember where you found those options?

11. capcoward

capcoward Lurker

Yeah, the "&amp" glitch is still there on the haptic feedback version. Is there any chance of fixing this please? Thanks!

12. capcoward

capcoward Lurker

Under Settings>Language and keyboard>Multi-Touch Keyboard.

13. Absolutely. Menu/Settings/Language & keyboard/Multi-touch keyboard (right above where you had to have enabled the new keyboard before), and then the very first option, "Vibrate on keypress".

I just tested it again and I do notice that it's just faintly noticeable, but I do notice it so it's probably better for the battery with less vibration, although personally I think the ideal would just be a "tad" bit longer, however long a tad is...

14. hrbib21

hrbib21 Android Expert

Been using it a few days now and love this keyboard. I type much quicker and more accurately with it.

15. alexhendershott

alexhendershott Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say this worked, thanks bud. Pushed to /system/app then removed LatinIME.apk.

Great work, sadly I think it might actually be slower than Androids stock. We'll see after a few days.

16. tonyb81

tonyb81 Android Enthusiast

how do you "push to /system/app, then remove latinIME.apk?

17. zerocool79346

Sweet! Thanks guys.

18. johnjust

johnjust Newbie

I like this keyboard a lot better. Apart from the "&" key, there is also "<", when you hit "Alt". Actually, being a web developer, I think I kind of like the special characters more.

19. thenestor

thenestor Android Expert

Ok, try the DroidXIME-haptic.apk link in post #66 again if you're still getting "&". Not sure if Zach fixed <. There's also a black-themed version now over on XDA.

20. erisx

erisx Well-Known Member

Any links? Im not finding the black keyboard on xda :p

21. thenestor

thenestor Android Expert

scary alien likes this.
  22. erisx

erisx Well-Known Member

Alright thanks nestor!

23. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Nestor, thanks again! Do we need to un-install the original multi-touch to install this one (makes sense) or just install this new one?

24. thenestor

thenestor Android Expert

I think they're signed with the same keys, so you should be able to over-install it.

scary alien likes this.
  25. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

lol! it made me uninstall the old version for exactly this reason...

No big deal. Works and looks great! Thanks to you Nestor and zach.xtr over at XDA for making this available to all of us. :)

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews