• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X, New User Purchasing Soon? Maybe?

Garandhero

Lurker
Jul 16, 2010
Hello,
I am in the market for a new phone and will be purchasing one on July 24th. I was very excited about the DROID X;However, despite not being a super hardcore user with plans to MOD the phone much using custom ROMS, I am still a bit leery about the apparent lock out feature MOT has applied.
Primarily I am concerned about tethering. Will I be able to tether devices (for free) with the droid X like the original droid does? ei. connect wirless devices to my droid X's web...for free, and with reletive ease? Or is this not possible anymore with the new changes... and I am forced to pay for it?
Some other questions as follows;
Incredible or X? Hands down, for a moderate user which is better?
Is the incredible getting 720p recording, if so does it make the Incredible a better option than the X?
Is motoblur annoying? Improved? or Good?
Is there an even better phone coming out prior to July 24th than the X? Please if you are just bitter about the lack of ROM modding ability keep in mind thats not such a big deal to me - im talking base specs. (Except of course tethering that is VERY important that I have tethering, and that it is easy/free!)
Anything else I need to know about the Droid X?

Finally I must reiterate, I think what I am trying to refer too is Tethering but I am not sure, basically what my friend does with his DROID is he can set it up so I can connect to wifi off of his phone on say my ipod touch or laptop... is that tethering? That is what I need to be able to do....

I must stay on Verizon Network....

Well if you post this in an Incredible forum, everyone will say Incredible hands down.

If you post in an X forum, everyone will say X hands down.

That being said, there are going to be better phones than both the Incredible and the X over the next 6 months, but not in the next week.

That's just the nature of the industry right now.

X and Incredible are very similar to the normal user except for size, blur, and eFuse (hacking preventer on the X).

X is great if you need a big phone (poor vision, lots of gaming, large hands, etc..)

Incredible is great if you need something smaller (fit in pockets + less bulging, good vision, smaller hands, etc..)

Blur is having some mixed reviews. It has noted to be a bit laggy despite having a good processor.

Incredible is getting 720p and Wireless N in the upcoming OTA update which has already leaked.

X will have a difficult time getting root and it will take a while. This will make tethering free a question mark for a while. It will never be able to accept ROMs or Flashes (not being able to upgrade to froyo or gingerbread before Motorola releases).

So both great phones! It comes down to just a couple differences - most importantly size.

You may not be able to root for free for a while on the X however. I'll be following to see how the root process is coming on this device.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I'm switching to Verizon using the Droid X.

You can't buy a Droid Incredible right now; the website says orders are backlogged into August.

If tethering is your concern, there are apps out there that would let you tether one computer (with proper software loaded) to your phone without the need of rooting. The Verizon sales rep who told me about this thought that as long as you don't abuse the amount of data you use, you can escape being charged extra.

If you really have your heart set on loading custom firmware, I'd either buy the Droid Incredible or wait for the Samsung Fascinate.

I'm hoping the Droid X will be hacked someday, but, for me it is not a priority. I'm going with a 1 year contract and so I have the option of buying a new phone in 10 months; by then there will hopefully will be something better that's been rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones