• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X not that big a deal if you're rooted

Add that, a front facing camera, and lte; and I am upgrading. Dual core processor and better battery life would not hurt either.

I've passed my Droid onto my wife and am now using an X. I had 2 batteries for my Droid because no matter what, as heavy a user as I was I always had to switch batteries out by 5:00pm. The X has way better battery life as far as I've seen. I throw it on the charger around 11:00pm with usually 40% left.

Upvote 0
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/19/1737251/motorola-droid-x-smartphone-powerful.htmlV

^^^
Perhaps this will suffice as an expert opinion on the x. It appears they aren't. Overly impressed either.

Seriously, for every negative review out there, there are half a dozen swinging the other way. I think the fact that the device has pretty much sold out speaks volumes about how actual users feel about the X.

If you don't like it great, if you love it awesome but what I can't understand is why folks get all bent whenever someone decides one device works better for THEM then another and the users of the "other" device take it as a personal slight.

Having had my original Droid since release and the X for several days now I can say for certain, in my opinion both are excellent devices! For me the X won out with improvements that were important to ME. I passed my Droid onto my Wife and look at it as a win win for the Android community as a whole. She is loving it and that is just means there is one more Android lover to add to the fold! ;)

Upvote 0
Seriously, for every negative review out there, there are half a dozen swinging the other way. I think the fact that the device has pretty much sold out speaks volumes about how actual users feel about the X.

If you don't like it great, if you love it awesome but what I can't understand is why folks get all bent whenever someone decides one device works better for THEM then another and the users of the "other" device take it as a personal slight.

Having had my original Droid since release and the X for several days now I can say for certain, in my opinion both are excellent devices! For me the X won out with improvements that were important to ME. I passed my Droid onto my Wife and look at it as a win win for the Android community as a whole. She is loving it and that is just means there is one more Android lover to add to the fold! ;)

Quite true indeed... rooted Droid owners have a much higher bar than the other 99% of Droid owners, and of those 99% who opt for the Droid X will get a nice speed/performance boost and some very nice hardware upgrades.

Hence, the title of this thread: "Droid X not that big a deal if you're rooted". If you're not, then the X is probably a very BIG deal, and justifiably so.

Upvote 0

Agreed... I'm not bent otta shape lol

Upvote 0
Quite true indeed... rooted Droid owners have a much higher bar than the other 99% of Droid owners, and of those 99% who opt for the Droid X will get a nice speed/performance boost and some very nice hardware upgrades.

Hence, the title of this thread: "Droid X not that big a deal if you're rooted". If you're not, then the X is probably a very BIG deal, and justifiably so.

Well said.

Upvote 0
That reviewer only seemed able to lament the lack of HTC's Sense UI. I wonder if he even bothered to adjust his visuals. If I had a phone with Sense on it, I'd want to root sooner than I would with my Droid as I am only just now getting the itch to do so.
It's nice to see that people think the camera experience is better. I look forward to hearing from the Droid X owners who've had a chance to go through all of the features the way people have picked apart the new 2.2 update.

Upvote 0
This thread is getting silly. If you want the features of the DX, then get it. if not, don't. Bottom line is if you want a bigger screen, no physical keyboard, and a much faster graphics processor get the DX. If that's not enough for you to want to upgrade, then stick with the Droid until the phone with the features you want comes out.

Upvote 0
My stock X is faster than my rooted, overclocked, Froyo running Droid @ 1.2GHz.

Perhaps it depends on usage patterns, but I am one who likes to have a lot of home screens full of widgets. This usage pattern destroyed my Droid, as CPU cycles cannot make up for lack of RAM.

On the X, I have yet to have a single redraw of my homescreen, even with 7 screens as opposed to 5, and waaaay more concurrent applications running.

So in that regard, the Droid X is much faster than the original Droid.

Does it push as many MFLOPS or Quadrant points? No. But is it a better user experience? Yes.

Also, don't make any judgements based on the display units at VZW, those have been messed up so much by all the customers that have used it prior. Also, the difference between LauncherPro and the stock Blur launcher is night and day.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong... I think the Droid X is a VERY cool device. However, I did expect more when I went into Verizon and played with one for about 10 minutes.

Sure, there are some nice upgrades, such as the 8megapixel camera, larger screen, etc... But in terms of smoothness, speed and agility, MY rooted, over-clocked ORIGINAL Droid kicked Droid X's ass. Royally. Now, this particular Droid X may be able to be tweaked to some degree, but my Droid would still out-perform it, no question about it.

No offense to those who like the Droid X theme, but I have my Droid themed and dressed up in such a way that, at least in my opinion, looks much COOLER than the Droid X.

And that doesn't even begin to address the fact that it may be some time before the Droid X is rooted and can be customized at all.

I thought I would have a bad case of phone envy, but I do in fact, have NONE.

I'm waiting for LTE to hit before I do anything.
i got a droid x rooted and ready to overclock! so wait for it to smoke ur droid!

Upvote 0
To the OP, whatever helps you sleep at night ;) DX is a phenomenal device with much more potential than the OG DROID. An overclocked DROID is nice, but an overclocked DX is even nicer. Developers are hot on the heels of figuring it out. I love my DROID, but I'm not fooling myself to think that the DX is a slouch compared to it, even in stock trim.

Upvote 0
To the OP, whatever helps you sleep at night ;) DX is a phenomenal device with much more potential than the OG DROID. An overclocked DROID is nice, but an overclocked DX is even nicer. Developers are hot on the heels of figuring it out. I love my DROID, but I'm not fooling myself to think that the DX is a slouch compared to it, even in stock trim.

I feel the same pretty much. BUT I am keeping my...jealous feelings away for now by keep telling myself that the DX can't put ROMs nor can it OC.

Once that happens, I'll be jealous and sad and I'll want a DX (although I won't be able to get it...i'm a poor college kid...)

Upvote 0
My radical theory....froyo is being held back for the Droid until the X sales spree has calmed. Because the X is just a large screen Droid. That is, a Droid that has been rooted, overclocked and installed with with froyo. Heck, just the froyo update will speed things up so much that the Droid will be in the same ballpark speedwise as the un-froyo'd X. And yes, I have the X. But I'm not sure for how much longer.

Upvote 0
My radical theory....froyo is being held back for the Droid until the X sales spree has calmed. Because the X is just a large screen Droid. That is, a Droid that has been rooted, overclocked and installed with with froyo. Heck, just the froyo update will speed things up so much that the Droid will be in the same ballpark speedwise as the un-froyo'd X. And yes, I have the X. But I'm not sure for how much longer.

My original Droid is now in the hands of my wife. It is rooted, overclocked and running a custom "Froyo" rom that is considered one of the best and it is still not even close to being as smooth or as fast as my X. Part of that could be because the GPU is clocked 80% faster in the X vs the Droid. To imply they are even remotely close is an exaggeration at best.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones