• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X not that big a deal if you're rooted

Quadrant scores on my rooted Droid approached 1200. I think that's about what's being reported for the X....maybe a bit less. Anyway, yes the X feels a bit faster....not substantially faster. That's my experience anyway. YMMV. I keep firing up my Droid and then wonder if I want to pay $200 now for the X or wait several months and pay $200 then for probably something better. Not trying to be an X hater....I love both phones.

Upvote 0
Hh
Quadrant scores on my rooted Droid approached 1200. I think that's about what's being reported for the X....maybe a bit less. Anyway, yes the X feels a bit faster....not substantially faster. That's my experience anyway. YMMV. I keep firing up my Droid and then wonder if I want to pay $200 now for the X or wait several months and pay $200 then for probably something better. Not trying to be an X hater....I love both phones.

Quadrant scores for my X are consistently in the 1280's with a live wallaper running etc. With out it and all apps closed i got a 1322 once and several around 1310. That's with the X running 2.1! Put the original Droid on 2.1 overclock and tell me what you get :D;)

Upvote 0
To the OP, whatever helps you sleep at night ;) DX is a phenomenal device with much more potential than the OG DROID. An overclocked DROID is nice, but an overclocked DX is even nicer. Developers are hot on the heels of figuring it out. I love my DROID, but I'm not fooling myself to think that the DX is a slouch compared to it, even in stock trim.

Whatever, dude. My sleep patterns won't be interupted by the X at all. :p

My point was that I expected more from the X. No one - including myself - said nor implied that the X did not have more POTENTIAL than Droid1. OF COURSE IT DOES. Just not enough to *overwhelm* me to upgrade now. Not even on my radar. But if you're so inclined, then have at it. I do agree, the X is a phenomenal smartphone, and even more so rooted, overclocked and with custom ROM and kernel options.

Since I get Quad scores that range between 1200 and 1450 consistently on my Droid1 while running buttery smooth in this clock range, DroidX will have to post Quadrant scores a lot closer to 2000 before I'll feel any obsolescence. ;)

Upvote 0
My original Droid is now in the hands of my wife. It is rooted, overclocked and running a custom "Froyo" rom that is considered one of the best and it is still not even close to being as smooth or as fast as my X. Part of that could be because the GPU is clocked 80% faster in the X vs the Droid. To imply they are even remotely close is an exaggeration at best.

It could also be any other number of factors. Depending on the ROM, kernel, and whether I've actually *clocked* my CPU with SetCPU, my Quadrant scores have ranged between 900 to above 1500. Several here have gotten much higher scores, reaching above 1600. I've never been able to get that high.

With my current configuration, I stay between 1200 and about 1450 without sacrificing any stability, and is the main reason the advent of the X has not created any dissatisfaction with my D1 for me at all. :)

Upvote 0
Wow. -who are you trying to convince?:thinking:

If you don't have one IN YOUR HAND RIGHT NOW, TRYING TO ROOT & EXPLOIT IT, your opinion of the X Droid's potential as compared to your rooted Droid means absolutely ....

... unless you've had it and used on a regular basis.

I actually agree with what Psychokitty pointed out, yet in a more or less subtle way.

I'm a techhead and have been using (and selling) smartphones for quite some time (spanning different OS's) and although this may not make me an authority on the subject I feel that I am somewhat well versed on said subject. :)

I simply wanted to check out the new technology, see what all the hype was about, dismiss it (or most of it) and then after rationalizing why I don't need(want) it promptly return it.

Guess what?! You couldn't pry it from me! Nope, "NOT even from my cold dead fingers!"

I've had my dx (gave my rooted droid to my son) for a week now and have gone back and forth between the two (setting my dx up for me and helping him set his rooted droid up for him as well).

Here's what I've come up with:

Droid 1- Rooted running at 1.1 and for some reason like others my droid could never handle 1.2 on it on any kernel, so it's running at 1.1). He's trying Chevy's Stunning froyo 4.5 with a limited widget setup (now :) )

Droid X- I'm using ADW launcher which performs much better on my droid x than any launcher ever perfomed my droid 1.

Pros:

-Call Quality/Reception is on par with the best of them!

-Thin & light! (Sometimes I have to check to make sure it's in my pocket where with the droid I always knew it was in my pocket! I know it's only a half ounce lighter, but I think I'm use to the weight of the droid 1!

-Great battery life ...when set up correctly. I've been playing with this (still am) and most times I have great battery life other times it's just slightly better than the droid 1.

-The speed -1GHZ out the box! (I don't care how fast you overclock the droid 1 the x smokes it! Most of my apps feel brand new or substantially reworked & updated because of the speed increase! I can respond to texts in the middle of a workout at the gym while listening to pandora or using the music app with several other apps open with no lag whatsoever. Normally my droid would lag and in some cases reboot. Priceless to me!

-The Display size Fantastic! Most things are easier for me to see. Even more tempted to actually watch a movie on it in flight now.

-The Gorgeous screen is still beautiful (abeit it's still 854x480 resolution like droid 1) it's decent for a screen this size. Don't we always want more?! Videos I've taken, Youtube, NFL Mobile Football look incredible!

-DNLA Support I can stream music, videos, pics to our computers, xbox, tv...

-Renders web pages quicker than the droid rooted with froyo.

-Delayed locking feature (a feature not present on the droid, but important to me.

-FM Radio

_Better integration of the phone book, facebook, twitter and so on...

-Even the calender is better.
I use the agenda view for work to view my appts, but I also log my phone calls in and out. On the droid I'd see my appts, but they were unreadable because they were too many so close together all you could see were the appt colored blocks. With the DX I can view all my appts.

-8mp Cam Splendid pics and location aware!

-720p/24fps capture rate (I've taken incredible video of my kids at the state track meet.)

-Keyboard: Choice of Swype or Multi-touch! Been using swype, but I like them both. I used swype on the droid1 and haven't looked back so i don't needed added thickness

- I save time and get more done (for now) because although it's rooted there's still not much I can do with it!

-Finger Glides Easier. This may not be a big deal, but after going back and forth between the two I find the x easier to glide my fingers across.

-Looks Sleek & Sexy ...for it's size & all it's packing!

Cons:
-Blockbuster
(I want netflix)

-Rooted (but no roms yet)

-HDMI output is limited to the gallery

-Moto home screen witch is why I use ADW.

-The 8 gigs of internal ram is not user accessible, not a big issue when you get a 16g card with it!

All and all I'd have to say I'm more happy with my experience before root on the droidx (as should be expected) than I was with the droid 1 before it was rooted.

BTW we can get 1400+ with Quadrant on the droid 1, but it's still not as fast as the dx.

I'm not trying sell the X.

I'm just saying there are some major differences.

I'll sell the x, pass it on or use one our dec upgrades if something knocks my socks later, but for now...I'm enjoying the x and my son's enjoying the droid 1!

Paul

Upvote 0
I was looking at craigslist the other day and picked up a DX for 250, and everything you said I agree... This Thing stock smokes the overclocked Froyo'd Droid 1, a perfect successor.

The main difference is that the DX doesn't stutter nearly as much as the Droid 1 through screen and program transitions. It makes a huge difference.

The only major con is with moto, It really stinks that you have to buy the media and car doc specifically for the device, to me that is one of the reasons why the ihone is so successful. Interchangeable docks and accessories through there line up. and... there is also this efuse crap as well...

Upvote 0
Good summary by the strong geek. I'll add this to the negs. Same resolution + larger phone make text more blurry and less distinct the smaller the text. The pixels are bigger. It's one of the first things I noticed coming from the droid and consider it an annoyance from what I'm accustomed to. I'll also add that quadrant scores for droid 1 skyrocket with froyo vs. Stock.

Upvote 0
I was looking at craigslist the other day and picked up a DX for 250, and everything you said I agree... This Thing stock smokes the overclocked Froyo'd Droid 1, a perfect successor.

The main difference is that the DX doesn't stutter nearly as much as the Droid 1 through screen and program transitions. It makes a huge difference.

The only major con is with moto, It really stinks that you have to buy the media and car doc specifically for the device, to me that is one of the reasons why the ihone is so successful. Interchangeable docks and accessories through there line up. and... there is also this efuse crap as well...

Everyone is entitled to their own experience with these Droids and form their opinions based on such. No one here is saying the X isn't awesome - I'll say it again -- the X is an awesome smartphone - and, yes - there are some very nice upgrades to the hardware. It is a VERY good place for someone to begin their Droid experience who may not be as tech-saavy and may not want to bother with rooting their device.

My nephew, for example, just bought an X. He almost bought an Incredible. I couldn't be more pleased with his choice. He bought, in my opinion (remember, I'm entitled to mine), a much better unit. I don't know if he would ever mess with rooting or not.

And as a successor, I would expect Droid X to be better (stock) than Droid1 (stock), which it is. A lot better in almost countless ways.

However, since I - in my own user experience - have a rooted, overclocked, non-stuttery and non-sluggish Droid 1, I perceive Droid X to be better in some ways and not much better in other ways. I am fortunate in that my Droid1 almost never *stutters* going from screen to screen like it used to stock and sometimes rooted (depending on what I was running).

So from my experience, I don't see enough of a performance boost from the X to justify paying money to upgrade now and not get 4G at the end of the year when Verizon turns up LTE in selected markets. Add to that that the X does not have a tactile keyboard (which is a must for me), so I"m quite content to wait for something better.

Am I missing out on something I'm not getting now? Sure I am. Is it something ground-breaking or *epic*? Not yet.

Upvote 0
Good summary by the strong geek. I'll add this to the negs. Same resolution + larger phone make text more blurry and less distinct the smaller the text. The pixels are bigger. It's one of the first things I noticed coming from the droid and consider it an annoyance from what I'm accustomed to. I'll also add that quadrant scores for droid 1 skyrocket with froyo vs. Stock.

Add another Con to the X, The speaker is no where as good as the droid

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones