• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X now for $120 or wait for th Fall phones...

There is always something better a couple months down the road. Just do what I do and pay retail for a phone every 6-9 months when I'm not eligable for an upgrade.

That's what I do. I sell the existing phone which substantially cuts out how much I pay for a new one. I don't do it every 6-9 months, but I'll indulge myself once a year.

Selling the old device + early upgrader pricing really offsets the cost, and I figure a couple hundred bucks spent per year on something I enjoy is really a trivial cost.

Upvote 0

Well, at this point, I will not upgrade to an LTE device until they get LTS in my market area. Which is unlikely to bepart of the initial or even secondary roll-out. I expect my area will probably be in the third group of markets to get upgraded. We're not major metropolitan by any stretch of the imagination. So, I expect to keep the Droid X for about 12-15 months.

As its name suggests, BGR says the Droid Pro will be a monster, featuring a 1.3GHz core (faster than the 1GHz Droid X and Droid 2) and a 4-inch screen with a target street date in November -- just in time for the holidays.

The Droid Pro rumor did pique my interest though. Holiday pricing promos are usually pretty good too. I would need to see photos of the device though before I decided it was something I wanted.

Upvote 0
That's what I do. I sell the existing phone which substantially cuts out how much I pay for a new one. I don't do it every 6-9 months, but I'll indulge myself once a year.

Selling the old device + early upgrader pricing really offsets the cost, and I figure a couple hundred bucks spent per year on something I enjoy is really a trivial cost.

Agree here. This is what I did to get the DX and likely what I will be doing from here on out. The DX or any good phone that just came out will likely still sell for a couple hundred a year from now which will make for a nice down payment.

Upvote 0
Incidentally, a Droid Pro "world phone" with a navigational device (trackpad, optical joystick, etc.) would pique my interest enough that I might consider upgrading after 6 months. Especially if it sports an increased resolution.

The Droid Pro "world phone" would need to be an LTE device. I don't expect my market area to get LTE until next fall/winter at the earliest. So, that would put me at or near my 1yr upgrade date anyway. If the Droid Pro had a slide out keyboard that was really nice, that would make it the perfect phone to me.

Upvote 0
The Droid Pro "world phone" would need to be an LTE device. I don't expect my market area to get LTE until next fall/winter at the earliest. So, that would put me at or near my 1yr upgrade date anyway. If the Droid Pro had a slide out keyboard that was really nice, that would make it the perfect phone to me.

I might upgrade to the droid pro around the holiday season but only if there is no keyboard. I would already be giving up 0.3 inches of screen, I wouldn't want to downgrade to a thicker phone also because of a worthless keyboard. The phone would obviosly have to be an upgrade over my X in at least a few areas like speed, resolution, and battery life. An unlocked bootloader would be awesome but I don't see that happening.

Upvote 0
I bought the Droid X two weeks ago but I am thinking of returning it for the Droid 2 which is "supposed" to come out in 2 days. I just want a physical keyboard lol.

It has been made official, pre orders on the 11th, available on the 12th. But the X is still better. Thinner, bigger screen, better camera, HD video recording. If you return your X it will be a downgrade

Upvote 0
I bought the Droid X two weeks ago but I am thinking of returning it for the Droid 2 which is "supposed" to come out in 2 days. I just want a physical keyboard lol.

Big mistake! I don't see the need for a physical keyboard with a large screen, using Swype, and voice to text.

I might upgrade to the droid pro around the holiday season but only if there is no keyboard. I would already be giving up 0.3 inches of screen, I wouldn't want to downgrade to a thicker phone also because of a worthless keyboard. The phone would obviosly have to be an upgrade over my X in at least a few areas like speed, resolution, and battery life. An unlocked bootloader would be awesome but I don't see that happening.

I'd only get the Pro if it comes with a front face camera, better resolution, and if it is noticeably faster than the DX, otherwise I don't see the point.

Upvote 0
I'm interested in what the 10" Android 3.0 tablet in Feb '11 will be like. I can see that being a very useful product in homeschooling my kids. I'm not ready to give them netbooks or full-fledged laptops. We don't have room for cheapie desktops in their rooms. Tablets would probably be the way to go. It would be even better if I could load some educational software. Even if I had to use the USB cord to load it fomr my PC to their tablets.

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell, most everything about the Droid Pro is conjecture at this point. There have been some responses from people that apparently should know saying that some of the assumptions noted are fairly accurate, but I don't think anyone really knows which ones or how accurate. And while also rumor, I have read some suggestions that the Droid Pro release may be later than originally planned.

But what I keep thinking is that we're in a major market and hopefully LTE phones will be out by this time next year. I'd rather be able to upgrade to LTE service and phones at this time next year than to wait to get a marginally better 3G phone now and then potentially have to wait longer to upgrade to LTE next year.

Upvote 0
The time line to have 75% of Verizon's service covered by LTE should be by April 2012. I'm going to conjecture cautiously and believe that my market area will probably be closer to the end of this schedule as opposed to the beginning. That would put me at 20 mos if I get a phone now and don't upgrade again until after LTE rolls out in my area. I am in coastal AL. There's no way that we're as "major" of a market to VZW as ATL is. I expect that ATL will probably nearer to the beginning of the process for LTE and customers should consider their market area when choosing to upgrade their equipment. If I lived in ATL, NYC or LA, I would probably just wait for LTE, since it would be right around the corner. I don't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones