• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X on another network?

? The only CDMA network that I know of that doesn't allow other carrier branded phones on their network is Sprint.

If this were the case, why is there not thousands of Incredibles and Droid X's in Canada on Telus' and Bell's CDMA networks? CDMA phones cannot change carriers unless they are International phones (ie BlackBerry Storm/Storm2, Bold 9650, Tour, etc) and have SIM card slots. Then they can be unlocked to work on 2G EDGE networks.

There is a reason Canadians are bitter about Verizon always getting phones first; we can't use any of them.

Here's a slightly more technical site I found kind of explaining it.

CDMA carriers in the U.S. require proprietary handsets that are linked to one carrier only and are not card-enabled. To upgrade a CDMA phone, the carrier must deactivate the old phone then activate the new one. The old phone becomes useless.

Source: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-gsm-and-cdma.htm

Upvote 0
If this were the case, why is there not thousands of Incredibles and Droid X's in Canada on Telus' and Bell's CDMA networks?

I guess all the CDMA carriers are like Sprint up there in USA's Hat?

In the US, Sprint is the only one that doesn't allow other CDMA carriers on their network. Right around the TP2's release, Verizon stopped allowing Sprint TP2's on their network, I'm not sure if that affected other phones.

"flashing" a CDMA phone to another Carriers is not that difficult. First you call the carrier you want to add your phone to, asking them to add the ESN to their database. Then you update to that carriers PRL. Then you configure the phone's services for said carrier. Done.

How to Flash a Cell Phone to Another Carrier | eHow.com

Upvote 0
From experience with Telus and CDMA I used to use two phones one a Sony Ericson's (cant remember the model) and a truck or bag phone. When I was in the north of our country I would simply call Telus and switch phones via the IME number. Just quoted the number to them turned off the smart phone and in one min later turned on the bag phone. The Sony was an unlocked CDMA phone that I used when traveling in south america and India.

Of course this dose not fully answer the posters question regarding the Droid but I have done this so often with Telus it always amazes me when others have not heard of it. I am also looking to know that the Droid X has the right frequencies needed for the New Telus digital system. My x10i dose not work but my buddies rogers x10a dose work so I'm hoping this may be true for Droid x too.

Upvote 0
From experience with Telus and CDMA I used to use two phones one a Sony Ericson's (cant remember the model) and a truck or bag phone. When I was in the north of our country I would simply call Telus and switch phones via the IME number. Just quoted the number to them turned off the smart phone and in one min later turned on the bag phone. The Sony was an unlocked CDMA phone that I used when traveling in south america and India.

Telus is so cheap, that 98% of the time they'll slap a handset change charge of $25 on your account each time, that's why most people don't do it. It's not because they don't know. Also, in the north, switches are much more frequent than the south just due to coverage.

Of course this dose not fully answer the posters question regarding the Droid but I have done this so often with Telus it always amazes me when others have not heard of it. I am also looking to know that the Droid X has the right frequencies needed for the New Telus digital system. My x10i dose not work but my buddies rogers x10a dose work so I'm hoping this may be true for Droid x too.

If you mean new digital like CDMA from Analog, than you are very, very far behind the times. If you mean new digital system like their 3G+ / HSPA+ network, then;

Even if it did use the right bands, (which it doesn't) it doesn't have a SIM slot which you HAVE to have to run on the HSPA+ network. So the Droid X (unless Motorola suddenly becomes allergic to money and starts giving out unlocked World phones) will probably never exist on any, let alone Telus' HSPA network.

The reason your friends x10a works is because Rogers' HSPA network runs on the same quad-band frequencies as Telus' (and Bells) HSPA network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones