• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X or Samsung Fascinate

I would go with the droid x. samsung said the humingbird processor was the fastest. when in all tests the only thing holding it up is the gpu/graphics processor. the omap from TI is faster and also uses a faster and newer memory technology. that is why you see the galaxy s reguardless of which flavor droping in value and performance!

Oh yah. The droid x is the beast killer!

Upvote 0
I would go with the X, simply because of the larger screen. I know the difference is .3'', but the X is just a beautiful piece of hardware, moreso in my eyes than the Fascinate.

I wonder when people are going to get tired of me gushing about 4.3'' screens...

EDIT: However, it really comes down the the skin you like more. HTC has Sense, Samsung has TouchWiz 3.0. I prefer Sense, but it's personal preference.

Upvote 0
I would go with the droid x. samsung said the humingbird processor was the fastest. when in all tests the only thing holding it up is the gpu/graphics processor. the omap from TI is faster and also uses a faster and newer memory technology. that is why you see the galaxy s reguardless of which flavor droping in value and performance!

Oh yah. The droid x is the beast killer!

There you go lying again. Do not claim to know what you're talking about when you clearly don't. You're going to confuse people who actually want to learn.

The Fascinate hardware is faster. It was faster than the Droid X when they were both on 2.1, and when the Fascinate gets the speed boost from 2.2, it will again be faster. Don't listen to Jamie on this, the kid honestly thought he had a 2.2 ROM on his Fascinate. If you make a decision on the two phones, do so off real information, not something that this kid concocted.

Upvote 0
IMO, go with the Droid X. I have some skepticism overall over Samsung's user and support experience. I wonder how they will update the Fascinate? Push on the air or you need some PC sync like Kies.

I believe the Droid X may have been Verizon's hottest smartphone seller this summer. The ordering queue was backed up for like three months.

Upvote 0
I just switched from the Samusng Fascinate to the Droid X. As someone who never sticks with the stock home screens, the branded skin doesn't mean much to me - except for how much it interferes with other apps and for getting OS updates. That said, vanilla android with just a little blur is going to get updates quicker (IMHO) - Samsung doesn't have a long history of being good with pushing OS updates. Hopefully they've improved, but since there's still no Froyo on Galaxy S phones in the US, I'm not hopeful.

The main reason I got rid of the phone is the lag. I know the phone is fast, it could be fast most of the time, but the lag in working on the homescreen was just too much. It drove me crazy. I know I could root, install kernels and make the phone scream, but I don't feel like I should have to do that to get the phone working well. I had a lot of forceclose issues on the phone, stutters, just little things that bugged me. The phone was beautiful, the screen doesn't compare to the X (so much more intense), but after a week with the X, I don't miss it at all.

There's a lot good about the SF, but for anyone who wants a smooth experience out of the box, this isn't it. If you want to mod your phone, go SF, load up the kernels and ROM's and have a field day. If you want dependable, fast, and stable out of the box, go Droid X.

Upvote 0
I hear GREAT things about the DX.
But plain and simple, whether or not the DX is amazing... Do not buy a Samsung.

Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a Samsung.
My opinion, and expectation, is that you are more likely to have regrets it if you get a Samsung... and I don't want you to have a bad view of Android because of a Samsung.

Just say NO.:p

Upvote 0
The UI isn't the one that is lagging on the Samsung. Its some proprietary secure file system they use, which I believe predates their Android use and goes back to their Windows Mobile days. UIs sometime cache into storage and so does apps; sometimes this file system causes serious lag. I mean like bad, bad lag. The flip side of it, when it caches out, it can also be extremely quick. So the experience goes into extremes of lag and quickness.

If your Galaxy S works with Kies (not the US ones, only the international ones), Kies would disable the file system, and the phone is lagless. The theme of many a lag fix for rooted Galaxy S is about disabling or bypassing this file system.

By the way, I use an international and factory unlocked Galaxy S i9000. I don't know what the GPS software they have on the US versions, but on this phone, the GPS is quick and accurate to about 2 meters.

Maybe the GPS works on some phones, not with others. I don't know what's the real story behind this.

Upvote 0
They are both nice phones. Each one has their pros and very few cons. The fact that the Droid X is on 2.2 already is big point for some, but the Fascinate will get it.

As far as CriticalCritic's don't buy a Samsung comment goes, I wouldn't say that one manufacturer is better than another as they have both produced top notch phones as well as phones that are better used as door stops. I have a Fascinate and it hasn't given me any trouble. I know of others that have Vibrants and Captivates that also perform flawlessly. So I would say that Samsung makes a pretty nice phone when they are willing to put good hardware in it. Many of the Anti-Samsung posts you will see revolve around the older Moment and Behold 2 that just weren't made well. The Galaxy S line has been pretty nice from what I've seen and experienced.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a great phone so at least that isn't a concern. Welcome to Android and the Forum.

Upvote 0
They are both nice phones. Each one has their pros and very few cons. The fact that the Droid X is on 2.2 already is big point for some, but the Fascinate will get it.

As far as CriticalCritic's don't buy a Samsung comment goes, I wouldn't say that one manufacturer is better than another as they have both produced top notch phones as well as phones that are better used as door stops. I have a Fascinate and it hasn't given me any trouble. I know of others that have Vibrants and Captivates that also perform flawlessly. So I would say that Samsung makes a pretty nice phone when they are willing to put good hardware in it. Many of the Anti-Samsung posts you will see revolve around the older Moment and Behold 2 that just weren't made well. The Galaxy S line has been pretty nice from what I've seen and experienced.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a great phone so at least that isn't a concern. Welcome to Android and the Forum.
Agreed. I am incredibly biased against Samsung because I was burned so badly by the Moment. I had 6 (not at one time... but swapped, and swapped, and swapped, and...) of them, they all had bad hardware internals (all Samsung Moments did). Samsung did not recall them, and Sprint would not swap them for equivalent phones because it was the manufacturer's fault... and of course because Sprint would have to replace every one that they had ever sold... it was a nightmare.

Buuuuuuut even though I am admittedly biased about that subject....
Despite OfTheDamned's comment that "both produced top notch phones as well as phones that are better used as door stops" you should keep in mind that with Samsung you will be pretty much guaranteed to always be the last to get software updates.... :(

Reactions: jamie8377
Upvote 0
Agreed. I am incredibly biased against Samsung because I was burned so badly by the Moment. I had 6 (not at one time... but swapped, and swapped, and swapped, and...) of them, they all had bad hardware internals (all Samsung Moments did). Samsung did not recall them, and Sprint would not swap them for equivalent phones because it was the manufacturer's fault... and of course because Sprint would have to replace every one that they had ever sold... it was a nightmare.

Buuuuuuut even though I am admittedly biased about that subject....
Despite OfTheDamned's comment that "both produced top notch phones as well as phones that are better used as door stops" you should keep in mind that with Samsung you will be pretty much guaranteed to always be the last to get software updates.... :(

I definitely can't speak to the longevity of the Samsung yet, but so far I have nothing but good things to say about the Samsung Mesmerize.

So far its been a well-kept secret, IMO. US Cellular did not lock down any Google stuff (unlike Verizon) and the phone has been nothing short of spectacular to use.

I have to admit I came directly from a Blackberry, and have not used any other Android devices for any extended period of time, so I can say I'm biased as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones