• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X OTA GB Root

I've browsed the forums a lot, never posted.
I don't see it posted yet so I figured I would. I've just rooted my stock (2.3.3) ota GB on my Droid X.

Found the instructions here:
droid-life(dot)com/2011/09/01/how-to-root-the-droid2-droidx2-droidx-and-droid3-running-gingerbread/#more-45119
Instructions were extreally simple. Basically plug the X into your computer and let the program do the work.

I'm finally rooted once again like I was back in Froyo

This worked for me!! I was rooted froyo and took the OTA .602 update. I had to run these extra commands using adb shell:
"once you have the # prompt, type
mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/system /system
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/xbin/su
hitting enter after each line.
don't worry if it says it can't find the file... the point here is to get rid of it anyway"

Then it worked when i ran the one click afterwards

Upvote 0
um, this has been posted like 100 times, the new one click method roots any device on gingerbread...I highly doubt you looked very hard before posting this...

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...-tbh-files-one-click-method-now-included.html

Its not really such a big deal, LOL...some folks don't necessarily identify with the new terminology or always have success with forum searches.

I personally do a lot of Google searches using, for example, "site:androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root rooting gingerbread 602" doesn't return the above linked thread--at least on the first page.

Also, I just yesterday updated the Moto Droid X Root Guide stickied-thread to include that new link, so it wouldn't have been immediately obvious.

As long as folks find what they need, that's the goal, eh? :)

Cheers!

edit: also, just so everyone is aware, the GB root exploit that djrbliss uncovered is Moto-device specific since it utilizes an Motorola-specific adb property.

Upvote 0
So if i'm understanding this correctly, you have to use the sbf to froyo cd on the ota or stock GB for the droid x to root it?

I just had mine replaced cause it was randomly shutting off and it came with GB installed from verizon - .602, so to root this i need to run the cd and then install the rooted 2 part GB?

Nope, you can root stock .602 directly using the method described just a few posts up (http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...-tbh-files-one-click-method-now-included.html).

Easy-peasy :). Check it out.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Its not really such a big deal, LOL...some folks don't necessarily identify with the new terminology or always have success with forum searches.
+1 :)

The AF search feature has improved immensely this past couple of months but sometimes it just doesn't bring back the results a member is looking for and querying. It's OK for members to ask and post their opinion. If the question/opinion has already been asked/posted and you know the thread for it. Post the thread and direct the member to it. Report the thread and a MOD will merge the threads for easy flow.

In the end we want all members to feel like they are a part of the AF community. We actually ask our more senior members to not be condescending and tell members to search or that they haven't search hard enough. Post the link and help the new member out or simply move to the next thread and leave the helping to another member. We are not like some of our competitors that have encouraged such an environment. All members are treated equal here.

Now back to our schedule programming :)

Cheers,
Roze
Your friendly neighbourhood moderator

Upvote 0
+1 :)

The AF search feature has improved immensely this past couple of months but sometimes it just doesn't bring back the results a member is looking for and querying. It's OK for members to ask and post their opinion. If the question/opinion has already been asked/posted and you know the thread for it. Post the thread and direct the member to it. Report the thread and a MOD will merge the threads for easy flow.

In the end we want all members to feel like they are a part of the AF community. We actually ask our more senior members to not be condescending and tell members to search or that they haven't search hard enough. Post the link and help the new member out or simply move to the next thread and leave the helping to another member. We are not like some of our competitors that have encouraged such an environment. All members are treated equal here.

Now back to our schedule programming :)

Cheers,
Roze
Your friendly neighbourhood moderator

I'll admit, I'm a little conditioned to a hostile forum environment. I apologize for coming off a little harsh. I come from genmay.com. Probably one of the harshest forum environments you will ever encounter :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones