1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Droid X Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BimmerM3, Feb 3, 2011.

1. BimmerM3

BimmerM3 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Indiana
    Hi, I just got my DX about a week ago and I have two questions. First, I noticed that a new icon has popped up in my launcher called com.rovio.ka3d. I clicked it and it takes me to angry birds. It has happened before and I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it went back to the normal icon. But now it has changed back. Is this just a bug with the game or a bug with my phone?

Secondly, the black ring around my X seems to be loose in some spots where it connects to the grey soft touch material. Once, I pulled it out of my pocket and it was completely open in one spot to where I could see inside it. I haver never dropped it our caused any kind of damage so this is completely random. Should I take it in and request a replacement? I popped it back together but its still a little lose, enough to annoy the crap out of me. Im already on my second one in a week so I'm hesitant to try and get another one.

Advertisement

2. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    first answer is to me it sounds like angry birds is running in the background as if you arent exiting it correctly.

second answer is the most important..... GET A NEW PHONE lol

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Heck yes, you should return that defective device for a replacement, as digdug says.

Question #1 in your post is pretty minor compared to having a broken phone. ;)

4. BimmerM3

None

Feb 2, 2011
    Indiana
    Are everyone elses Xs solid and tight? Because I feel like walmart (where I got it) will try to accuse me of dropping it. I need a reason to believe its truly defective.

5. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    AZ
    WalMArt takes back ANYTHING!

I once wanted to play GT:prologue so bad, I went there, bought a PS3 and played the game for a few weeks till I got bored and took it back, no questions asked.

6. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    There is no way they aren't going to think you dropped it. Just the way it is. You just have to be convincing. Just go to them and say something like I know you aren't going to believe me and I wouldn't either but I have never dropped this, this is how I got it. Hopefully they will believe you. But when in doubt, escalate it to a manager and if that doesn't work call in to complain. That gets a fix about every time.
    Believe me! I used to be a WalMart eye doctor and people could get away with murder by calling and complaining, even if you did nothing wrong to them at all. It became unnerving to me that WalMart would NEVER back me. I left because of crap like that.

7. BimmerM3

None

Feb 2, 2011
    Indiana
    Il definetly take your advice.i plan to go either tonight or tomorrow so ill post whether or not it was successful.

8. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Take it back before the 30 days and make sure they give you a new phone-not a refurbished phone.

9. BimmerM3

None

Feb 2, 2011
    Indiana
    I still haven't taken my phone in becuase I went into the local Verizon store and they told me to go to Walmart and see if they would replace it. I wasn't expecting Verizon to replace it I just wanted to know if it was something that needed to be replaced, but I couldn't get a direct answer. I took a look at the display model in the store and it appeared to have the same problem. Slight openings around the case where the black ring joins the grey soft touch backing. Im really on the fence here because I don't want to risk getting another phone only for it to have the same problem or getting a new problem. Theres also the hassle of having to start all over with no contacts or apps.

10. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

It's even worse. I found out in the Verizon section that there is no longer a 30 day grace period... it's now 15 days. But Walmart may still honor their own 30 day return policy if that's what you're talking about.

Wait, Walmart carries the DX? How much is it there?

11. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Can you post some close up picks of what your talking about so we can see if it's the same on our phones?

12. mahers

mahers Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    Male
    Product Manager
    Concord, CA
    I don't have ANY loose frame/casing/ring on my X...go get a new one. I'll bet the demo at the store has been handled by so many people, it got out of whack. The only "loose" things on mine are the camera button (just a tiny bit to allow the half press for focus feature) and the hard buttons under the screen (again, ever so slight).

13. BimmerM3

None

Feb 2, 2011
    Indiana
    I got it for $150, at Verizon, both on and offline, it was $300 with a $100 mail in rebate. I've never bought a phone from Walmart before, but next time I'll definitely check them out before Verizon.

I definitely would except the problem is just about put to rest. I went to Walmart today and they wouldn't exchange it. Not for any reason other than I had already exchanged it once because my first X had a blown ear piece speaker and sounded horrible. So apparently they would have, but couldn't. So I proceeded to go to the Verizon store and after describing the problem and showing them the phone a rep took a look at both of the demos, his own, and another rep's phone and they all did the same thing. They had never had any problems with them but there was an obvious, small gap along the side with the camera button which, when squeezed, would move slightly. We couldn't see inside any of them like mine had done the first day, which is now no longer as bad. So, I guess Verizon will not replace it and I must have thought it was a bigger deal than it really is, since four others did the exact same thing. It would be interesting to see if anyone else notices this with their phones.