• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID X Review - Extremely Detailed!

BlakeDC

Jul 14, 2010
Hey Guys,

I just received the DROID X as a prize from the @DroidLanding contest on Sunday. After I received it I realized a lot of reviews lacked in depth information and just scanned over the features of the phones that really make it unique, and nobody hardly ever said anything negative about it. That encouraged me to make my own review!

I've written a 9 page review, taken videos, pictures, screen shots etc and posted it on my friends website for all to read.

Check out the review at

The Complete DROID X Review

Also, don't forget to check out the rest of his site, he's got some cool home improvement things going on :)

Thanks peeps! Enjoy the review!

- BlakeDC

UPDATE - The second video is now up. Check it out under THE UI and Blur section of the review. Poor turtle :(

Also, The radio needs the headphones in as the antenna :) I get it now!

Didn't you manage to snag the certificate within like 2 minutes of the coordinates being posted?

Than again, the hints were pretty obvious. Hope you managed to snag some Ben's Chili Bowl before you left.

I'm going to write up a story on that on the same web site. :)

I think it was like...3 minutes. Don't exaggerate now, geez!

And sadly, I'm on a diet, so Ben's was out of the question...besides, who actually eats Ben's before 3am?

Upvote 0
Good review, after getting past the wall of text and off topic opinions haha jk.

You mentioned that there aren't a lot of in depth reviews out there, well check out FAUguy's:

Motorola DROID X MB810 Review (Phone Arena Reviews)

What it meant to read was, there aren't a lot of in depth camera reviews lol. I noticed most people were just like "oh look a camera, 8mp, 720p....moving on"

Nobody said anything about slow motion video, panoramic photos etc. Not the easy reviews I found w/o digging at least. Plus, it gave me something to do for 2 hours on a monday night :p

I know there are other reviews that go in depth, they are also news sites dedicated to their news. I did this in 2 hours on monday writing, and 20 minutes on Tuesday making videos.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I looked at this one, and the main thing that jumped it out me was the waaaaay too busy wallpaper (couldn't see half the widgets) and the really butt-ugly interface. Tell me that can be made prettier?

Dude, its android. You can make the interface whatever you want it to be. There are douzens of launchers (Home screen layouts) and probably thousands upon thousands of backgrounds!

Check out Launcher PRO if you have or get a droid, its an amazing tool!

Upvote 0
Dude, its android. You can make the interface whatever you want it to be. There are douzens of launchers (Home screen layouts) and probably thousands upon thousands of backgrounds!

Check out Launcher PRO if you have or get a droid, its an amazing tool!
Now see, I did not know that, am a newbie to most things Droid but am learning as much as I can as fast as I can! So thanks for the tip.

And I'm a chick. My phone has to be pretty.

And her name will be Lucille (oh wait, that's another thread...)

Upvote 0
^I have a Droid. I work in a bad reception area. I know how my Droid works there so I will be posting some stuff when the X gets here.

Only thing is...I'm running Froyo which had a baseband update thats better than the one on 2.1 for me. So my reception tests might be kinda skewed. I might just go back to stock 2.1 for a clean test. Unless the update for the X that has an updated baseband comes within 30 days.

I will be testing this thing like mad for 29 days to see if imma keep it. lol I hope those updates come thru before 30 days....

Upvote 0
Now see, I did not know that, am a newbie to most things Droid but am learning as much as I can as fast as I can! So thanks for the tip.

And I'm a chick. My phone has to be pretty.

And her name will be Lucille (oh wait, that's another thread...)

lol...well make sure you put a diaper (case) on her. I suspect she's going to be a bad girl and get into all kinds of trouble and probably rough herself up :(

Kids these days.

Upvote 0
Good info, but it would be nice to get your impression to either confirm or refute my view that the phone signal reception is weaker than Droid and the 3.5mm sound quality is the same as the Droid (which is not great).

I can do that right now, i have both of them sitting next to me. Give me about 20 minutes. No video, i'll just make a small post on the article that's already up

I'll hook them up to my 7.1 surround sound. I'm no audiophile though so....results from me may be different than what you'd judge.

Upvote 0
^I have a Droid. I work in a bad reception area. I know how my Droid works there so I will be posting some stuff when the X gets here.

Only thing is...I'm running Froyo which had a baseband update thats better than the one on 2.1 for me. So my reception tests might be kinda skewed. I might just go back to stock 2.1 for a clean test. Unless the update for the X that has an updated baseband comes within 30 days.

I will be testing this thing like mad for 29 days to see if imma keep it. lol I hope those updates come thru before 30 days....

I'll run a quick test by calling a phone # and seeing which ear drops first :)
UPDATE: I had a brain fart...I can't. My DROID has no service anymore haha...but go by this story

Yes, i also have 2.2 and the c 1.43.01p baseband on my droid. The X has BP_C_01.09.02P

I'm not sure how to differentiate them since the X has the BP in front? But I'd assume that may be some oddity just for the X. With that said, The reception is about the same for me, as far as the screen goes, but I've been able to make more phone calls in my house with less on-screen signal on my Droid X than I have with my Droid. My house also suffers from horrible reception issues, especially on the display of the phone, but that X hasn't dropped a call in here yet, whereas the Droid has dropped many in here simply from leaving my room and going downstairs and it'd drop before i got out the front door :(

Reactions: rushmore
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones