• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X to Milestone (Now with other issues)

SacredBloodlin

Android Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Ok, so, I have looked all over the interwebs and can't find a clear answer, but also saw that no one has really had a question like mine. I have a Droid X that I got from a friend that is currently on Verizon. I am on the nTelos network and want to be able to use it. My question is this: can I simply do the .602 PRL downgrade to put it on nTelos and then call my carrier and have them switch my phone and be good to go? Thanks for any help.

I managed to screw up the phone and got the MEM_MAP error for a while. I even tried to use the MX 604 LiveCD and nothing would get me out of it. I SBFed the 621 file and even though it "FAILED", the phone said that programming was complete after I unplugged it. So, I pulled the battery and held PWR+Home and managed to get into recovery, though I am not quite sure what I have accomplished. I rebooted the phone without doing anything and now its quietly charging because I ate up a lot of battery trying to unbrick it. Funny thing is that its still set up the way it was when I started this venture, never formatted anything. :thinking:

After I let it charge for a while I will try the live cd again and see if I can turn this DX into an MX so I can hopefully get it on nTelos.

What does it mean if I can get into recovery? Like I said, the phone is still virtually untouched. I'll update again when I toy with it some more.

Upvote 0
Kinda sucks that I am talking to myself here, everyone moved on from the DX even though it is still a powerful device. I also have an Admire with way lower specs that is getting more attention than this phone...

Anyways, I tried the Live CD for 604 and I got a soft brick, again. So, I am attempting to get it to boot again my SBFing the 612. Not entirely sure where to go from here but I am running out of options since NOTHING is working...

Upvote 0
Can you sbf one of the older froyo files?

I'm not entirely sure. My main goal is to flash it to be used on the nTelos network, and I thought that the Milestone SBF would do that for me, but for one, I can't get it to work right, and two, another user told me that I would need to change a lot more than that to get it to work...

Also, I don't know if this phone came with the 621 update from the store or if the guy I got it off of had done the OTA update

Upvote 0
don't know if you are still working on this

ezSBF and sbf_flash do not flash the radio, only rsd lite does that
you wrote that you tried the 621 sbf, even though it failed, it may have flashed the part that prevents using older SBFs
if so you can only use 621 and milestone 604
the memblank error, means sbf was incompatible

if using rsd lite, install moto drivers
and always verify that your download is complete with
MD5/SHA-1 Hash Checksums

if you get connected to nTelos, let us know

Upvote 0
don't know if you are still working on this

ezSBF and sbf_flash do not flash the radio, only rsd lite does that
you wrote that you tried the 621 sbf, even though it failed, it may have flashed the part that prevents using older SBFs
if so you can only use 621 and milestone 604
the memblank error, means sbf was incompatible

if using rsd lite, install moto drivers
and always verify that your download is complete with
MD5/SHA-1 Hash Checksums

if you get connected to nTelos, let us know

Yeah, I am still working on this, but not the way I had originally planned. I was planning on dual booting Linux and Windows on my laptop so I could try to SBF the 604 and hoping that I would simply be on nTelos by default, that way I could just call up my provider and have them switch my phones and be good to go, but that probably won't happen. Instead I got excited when I rooted it and put the CM9 Beta on there and I love it. Over on UPP I found an article on how to flash the DX to Cricket, I am going to follow that guide and adapt it to nTelos and see how it goes. I'll let yalls know how it goes when I get a chance to do it. Not that anyone cares, no one posts on the DX these days, lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones