1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Droid X to Razr Maxx--Is it worth the change without 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Boria, May 20, 2012.

1. Boria

Boria Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Self Employed
    Albany, Georgia
    I am looking at upgrading to Razr Maxx from my droid X. 4G is not available in my area yet. I was wondering if it is really worth the change since 4g is not available. I know the processor will be faster and the OS may be a little better but what else would I gain from the upgrade other than a shiny new phone and my last contract with unlimited data. Will the Maxx be any quicker on the 3g than my X is? Would you make the change? I do travel periodically to areas where 4g is available. Is 4G really the only reason to upgrade at this point?

Advertisement

2. wxman2003

wxman2003 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    Yes, since you can still get unlimited data for $30. Your next upgrade may not have that option. 4G is fast. A lot faster than 3G. The Razr Maxx will not be any faster on 3G. Razr Maxx will get ICS, X will not. Battery life is outstanding on Maxx.

3. netguysc

netguysc Newbie
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    I went from a Droid X to a Razr Maxx about a week ago and we have no 4G here either. It is a worthy upgrade, even with no 4G.

First of all, the super battery alone is worthy of the upgrade. You will not have to worry about your battery going dead during your day.

3G seems so much faster on the Maxx than on the X, I guess its the extra horsepower the dual processor brings that frees up the phone for a quicker feel to the 3G experience.

The Razr just seems sooo much smoother than the X. I do not know how to explain it better than saying that I believe the droid operating system just seems to like the Razr much more than the X.

The extra storage space is nice.

So yes I would definetely recommend the Razr Maxx, even in an area with no 4G. The Droid X is a nice phone, but I would HATE to have to go back to my old X to be honest. I'm perfectly happy with 3G on my Maxx, the 3G seems to be or maybe it actually is faster on the maxx that I really don't care if i never see 4G.

4. wxman2003

wxman2003 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    You will eventually get 4G. The speed is amazing compared to turtle slow Verizon 3G. if you stream netflix, MLB, or others, you will not only notice the quality, but the speed. I could never go back to 3G. Ugg, Verizon 3G is dreadful.

5. rjglenn

rjglenn Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Firefighter, agrimechanic
    North Florida
    It's just a better phone. You will not be disappointed at all.

6. Boria

Boria Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Self Employed
    Albany, Georgia
    They say we will have 4G by the end of the year. I have been testing the 3G speed in different areas with speedtest for the past week on my X. Its pretty slow and for some reason my download speed is usually slower than my upload speed. Doesn't make sense. On WiFi my download speed is three times as fast as the upload. Maybe my X is on its last leg and I don't realize it.

I was in the verizon store this morning looking at the Maxx and I noticed in the manage running apps screen that the total amount of RAM is only around 750meg but the specs say it has 1gig. Am I looking at this the wrong way or is something wrong.

Also at the store the Maxx's 3G speed is much faster than my X. I guess the X just can't process the data as quick as the Maxx.

7. Easterlake

Easterlake Lurker
    None

May 23, 2012
    Just made the same change yesterday. If you are grandfathered in with unlimited usage, make the change soon. Verizon will shortly continue to offer unlimited usage only to customers who pay full price for their phones. Subsidized phones will loose the unlimited data plans.

8. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    By far worth the upgrade. There will be better phones coming. You won't be able to keep unlimited data if you subsidize by the time they are released. This thing makes the X feel very outdated. Not just in terms or hardware, but software as well. Motocast and Smartactions are excellent additions. I liked mine enough to put one on 3 lines. Solid investment. We were lucky enough to get 4G early on, but i turn it off most of the time. The 3g is solid enough most of the time, and uses almost no battery.

9. ballroomdru

ballroomdru Member
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    Never having to worry battery life during the day + a phone that will be upgraded to ICS plus a phone that performs faster at EVERYTHING = worth the upgrade in my book.

The choice is yours.

10. biggiesmalls657

biggiesmalls657 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Retail Clerk
    United States
    If this helps I upgraded knowing I wouldnt use 4G right now. Verizon promises and never delivers but its possible that the razr (most likely) has a better radio than the X. Verizon could be throttling you as well. I on 3G have seen up to 2.5MBits/s like a decent DSL connection. I also have an unthrottle hack too! Better hardware, soon to be unlocked bl hopefully and days not hours on battery without charging! I love my Razr Maxx. ;)

11. hasbrobot

hasbrobot Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 26, 2009
    EMT
    Florida
    I made the switch from the Droid x and I can honestly tell you its been amazing. Even without 4g. I don't have it yet myself because of location.

12. thisisnascar

thisisnascar Well-Known Member
    None

May 2, 2012
    Gloucester City, NJ
    I have the Maxx in a 4G coverage area and still have been using only 3G for the most part. It's a great phone. No reason to use the 4G unless you really need to. The difference in battery life between 3G and 4G is noticable as well.

13. FenwayPhil

FenwayPhil Newbie
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    +1 Living in NYC, I rarely ever use my 4G cause it seems the 3G is awesome plus my battery lasts forever. You will not be disappointed with this phone.

14. KhesJayy

KhesJayy Lurker
    None

May 29, 2012
    Houtson
    I made this change yesterday & it was definitely worth it.:)