1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Droid X User Guide now online!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Darth_Penguin, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Darth_Penguin

Darth_Penguin Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009

Advertisement

2. swazedahustla

swazedahustla Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    BMORE.......4G ALL DAY

After hearing the news this morning, all i can say is good luck trying to root this phone. I heard Motorola has this thing locked down tighter than alcatraz. After seeing what happened to the incredible, this doesn't look good. Verizon is really trying to become the new apple.

3. Darth_Penguin

Darth_Penguin Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Its been verified that the bootloader is signed? source?

4. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    What news?

5. swazedahustla

Jun 1, 2010
    BMORE.......4G ALL DAY
    Yes the bootloader is signed......Do you know what that means exactly?? It means without Motorola signing a ROM, it cannot be flashed to the phone regardless of who is trying. In other words, Motorola would have to sign whatever firmware upgrade that is put on the phone and according to them (Motorola), all future devices will be signed by motorola. This was released after the milestone. And according to them it cannot be circumvented. Google it, its out there.

6. jbirgenheier

jbirgenheier Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    U.S. Army
    Upstate NY
  7. jbirgenheier

Apr 1, 2010
    U.S. Army
    Upstate NY
  8. Sek0n

Sek0n Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Tennessee
  9. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Your source of information concerning the fact that Droid X's bootloader is signed? I'd tend to agree that it is, but I haven't seen anything official.

While the Milestone does have a signed bootloader, that doesn't mean there won't be a work around hack found. It hasn't happened yet (going on 7 mo since the phone was released), but the phone has been rooted, and the hackers do expect to find a solution to the signed boot loader. Check out this site for more information.

So the Droid X should still be able to be rooted - the Milestone was within about a month of release. This will allow users to add programs, overclock, tether, etc since you gain control off the low level functions of the phone.

All that being said, I've gone from being very excited about the Droid X to deciding I'm waiting to see what happens on the root/bootloader front before I jump in and buy one. If it does end up being impossible to crack the bootloader, then I will wait for another "killer" phone to buy - I doubt I will have to wait too long.

10. jbirgenheier

Apr 1, 2010
    U.S. Army
    Upstate NY
  11. swazedahustla

Jun 1, 2010
    BMORE.......4G ALL DAY

Here is the quote from motorola about the whole thing...

12. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Computer Repair
    East Tennessee
    I've yet to get into that scene, but can someone simplify the ramifications of a signed boatloader?