• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X Vs. Incredible

I haven't upgraded yet (coming from BB, upgrading July 15th) but I am leaning towards the Incredible over the X. The X is going to be too big for me, I'll check it out in the store first but I just don't think it's going to be a practical phone to carry around. Also I like Sense a lot. For those reasons I am most likely going Incredible.

Great choice on the Incredible. Switched over from Blackberry as well and I don't think I'll ever go back. This phone is lightning fast and I love all the features, customization, and ease of use!

Upvote 0
I'm about to switch to verizon from att and the nexus one. I've tried out the EVO and thought the colors were a little washed out for me and that it was a little heavier than I'd like.

I wonder if the X is the same? I know it's thinner and a little lighter, so I'm not sure if it's closer to EVO or Incredible.

I do like Sense though. With the X having a digitally signed bootloader (?), it is really pushing me away from that phone. Not that I would root and load custom roms, but the ability is always there.

Upvote 0
Where did you find this at? I just ordered mine on the second. I searched around but couldnt find any active promos. Do you think they would credit me or adjust my bill if i mentioned this?

I just googled verizon wireless promo codes, that is the best one I could find. IDK, maybe you could call and tell them you had trouble entering it on the website...? Good luck.

Upvote 0
I keep seeing that the Droid X's 8GB of onboard storage is for apps only. So does that mean the whole issue of having the ability to download apps to onboard storage is fixed (so the INC does it now too) or is it something different with the X? Also, are they just talking about certain aspects of the apps being on the onboard storage (images, music etc)? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hell, for you people who want the incredible so bad, I'll mail you my fairly new incredible. Its my second NEW incredible. I received it about 1 1/2 weeks ago and yes, its new not refurbished, thats why I still have a $550 charge on my verizon account.

I'll mail you my incredible with my case and an extra $100 for a droid x, I LOVE THE INCREDIBLE, but once I played with the evo(similar to the droid x, thats why I said evo).. I fell in love with the size. I would love a bigger screen, this is just tooo damn small for me.

I'm down to do this, you would get your Droid X on the 15th and the incredible from me a few days after. Instead of waiting til mid August for an incredible, plus you'd make a $100.

Upvote 0
But honestly, the droid x vs incredible is pretty simple.

Droid X
-Better Battery life/reception
-Bigger Screen
-Modded Motoblur vs Sense ui, all preference.

Droid Incredible
-Sharper Screen

I mean, they're pretty damn similiar. Supply vs demand. HTC can't supply the incredible due to the HIGH demand, but motorola can. HTC is going to lose.. HARD, but the differences aren't all that big. But, I prefer HTC over motorola as a company, but it mostly comes down to preference. We're in a world that is constantly advancing in technology, there is something better out the day after you buy something. Buy what you want now, cause there will always be something better before you know it.

Hope that somewhat helps..

Upvote 0
I have the DINC and the battery life is a deal breaker! This is the only reason I'm looking at the DROID X. I have one of the original ones with the AMOLED screen. Anyone wanna buy it?

Not sure why others have the battery problem and I do not. Obvious answer is different user habits of course, but the differences seem stark. That said, I use a 1750mah and not the stock, but I do not recall it being bad to the point of fail. I expected the 1300mah to blow chunks.

There are four things that bug me about the X:

1. Size. One hand operation is too awkward- I like not having to almost always use both hands. I have medium sized hands. Just try and reach the top corners of the display like you can with the Inc.

2. Screen is "over"-sharp. Text on the original Droid looks better than the Inc, so I expected the same with the X, but text has jaggies on the X and looks not as good as Inc. Surprising.

3. I really HATE when the microsd is stuck behind the battery

4. Speaker sounds tinny and wimpy to the Inc

Still, there are more good things than bad:

1. Antennas are going to kick butt for reception
2. Better call quality
3. Native support for other video codecs
4. Bigger screen is nice for games (just not text- still makes no sense with the text jaggies)
5. Better battery life. 3630 has kick butt good hardware level power management.

Perhaps if the X was a 4" display and resized accordingly, I would be looking to sell my Inc. Main issue to me is the size for phone function.

If I wanted a tablet-phone, I would consider the X ;)

Added:

Droid 2 has me interested though, since same basic specs, plus a real keyboard. Just hope the text jaggies are not there....

Even better would have been if the Epic was coming to VZW, rather than Sprint.

Upvote 0
The real sweet spot might be the Samung phones.....they all are 4".

Clip of the X in a pocket.....granted the pants ore not on him....lol But still....

YouTube - DROID X Into Jeans

This could be one of the most pointless videos ever created......

Testing how a device fits in pants- while not wearing them. Yeah, THAT's the ticket :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I have an extended battery and it still doesn't make it through the whole day

Keep in mind that a Droid Incredible with the 2150 battery has longer battery life than any smartphone by a long shot. If you still have battery issues, then your problem is not the device but a severe software configuration issue.

The first thing I will say is that by default the software configuration on the Incredible is extremely battery intensive. It is in no way a configuration I would suggest anyone remain with.

Widgets suck up battery. By default there's quite a few widgets open. The friend stream widget itself uses a TON of juice. Consider using the Android Facebook app instead. Only use widgets you absolutely need.

Google Talk is set to sign in by default. If you don't use it, set it to not sign in when you turn on the phone.

Consider closing the weather widget and opening a weather app when you want to know the weather. Also set the weather app to not sync in the background, have it update weather info only when you open it.

Other apps you have installed might have "run on startup" configuration settings. Fring does. Disable these and only open the app when you need it.

For the apps that you must keep data sync on with, consider making them check for new data less often.

Disable Flash in the browser. Enable it only when you need it but remember to disable it again afterwards.

Under no circumstance should you keep any kind of instant messenger app like AIM or Ebuddy or Meebo open at all times. These are very battery inefficient because of a very constant data stream. Use them when you want to chat but then shut them down when you're done.

Change the screen setting away from auto brightness and then set the brightness to 30-40%. You will find that it looks perfectly fine at such a setting and you'll get better battery life.'

Refrain from using live wallpapers. If you really really want to stretch your battery, set your desktop background to a blank black picture. The OLED screen uses less power displaying black than anything else.

Turn off as much vibration as you can. That motor can really suck up juice if activated a bunch over the course of a day. I turn vibration off for the 4 main buttons, typing, and in all games that have it. I leave vibration on for calls.

Those are the tips that I can think of for the moment. Android is a fully customizable operating system that does not hold your hand. It will let you run anything you want at any setting without warning you about the consequences.

Upvote 0
I'm fully lost in which phone I want.

I had myself all set on the Incredible until a Verizon guy showed me the X. I have an X on hold, but I'm still not sure. The screen was amazing. Side-by-side, the two seemed very similar, outside of the screen size.

I don't want to hem and haw for long as I know how long it will take to get an Incredible if I go in that direction.

I think I'll have to stop in there again with jeans on to see how it feels in there.

I'm awful with decisions like these. The Incredible has been what I've wanted -- and if the dang things had been in stock, I'd have already purchased on. But now this X... argh!

Upvote 0
Excellent comments on battery life. Regarding jagged letters, companies have only given part of the story when it comes to their screens (that includes tv manufacturers as well). Knowing the pixel count is fine, but pixels per square inch would be better. I believe that the droid, di, and dx all have the same amount of pixels, or pixel ratio, but if you have to spread the same amount of pixels over a larger area, you've decreased the "true" resolution. While apple should have given the iphone a bigger screen, they at least crammed in a lot more pixels per square inch, giving the screen and much higher resolution and therefore sharper images. Now if they'd just fix the screen size, phone, flexibility, deathgrip on development, and five or six other things, I might consider one.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
you guys are hilarious, i cant believe how much people are bitching about the size of the x. is it just to justify that you bought an inc and it is already outdated? i bought one too. i love it, best phone i have ever owned. but the reality is the x is better period. not just subjectively but it has better hardware. and the part that is subjective is size which is funny because it is not that much bigger. it is .39" taller, .28" wider, .8" thinner and a whopping .82 oz heavier. you guys are acting like it just wont fit in a car much less any pants pockets. you guys are ignoring the facts.

Pros:
cooler running, more energy efficient processor
better 3D performance due to better use of processor
HDMI out
screen size (for me)
screen technology (for me) i love the amoled but it sux outside.
16gb card

Cons:
screen size (for some)
screen technology (for some)

some good links:
HTC hopes to be done with Android 2.2 Froyo updates before Christmas Unwired View

Is The iPhone 4's LCD the Best? | PCMag.com

YouTube - Droid X benchmark tests

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones