• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X vs Samsung Galaxy S

I will stick with the X, a couple reasons why. First I think the Samsung phone is a uglyier version on the iphone, I really just don't like the looks. As far as I am concerned the specs are about the same. I like the X in looks and it has a bigger screen, which I really want.

Wanna know how similar the specs are concerning the OMAP and the Hummingbird?

OMAP uses the PowerVR 530 gpu....Hummingbird uses the PowerVR 540 gpu..

lol

The OMAP's cpu is better tho, just looking at Quadrant. These 2 could easily flip flop back n forth as being the best chip out in an Android phone right now.

Upvote 0
Wanna know how similar the specs are concerning the OMAP and the Hummingbird?

OMAP uses the PowerVR 530 gpu....Hummingbird uses the PowerVR 540 gpu..

lol

The OMAP's cpu is better tho, just looking at Quadrant. These 2 could easily flip flop back n forth as being the best chip out in an Android phone right now.

Yeah but the 535 is twice as fast as the 530 the 540 is over 4 times fasterthen the 530

Upvote 0
Here is a couple of video comparisons of the droid x 720p versus the samsung galaxy s 720p video recording. I can't help but feel that the Galaxy s records more sharp in light environments. In the dark, it seems like the droid x wins.

YouTube - aperobot's Channel

Id rather have better capabilities in the dark there are always those times at night when something funny happens or something you want to record i want to know the phone can do a good job with it.

Upvote 0
A friend of mines Dad works for Samsung and he just gave my buddy the Galaxy S for tmobile, I've got to say the screen on it is amazing! I'm no fan of Samsung phones and have a pretty bad taste left in my mouth from the whole Inc debacle, but Wow, the colors just pop on that thing. Is anyone here considering getting the Fascinate? In my opinion there are 2 major drawbacks, but 1 of them can be taken care of pretty easily and 1 can't. For starters, it is a Samsung product, thats almost enough for me to not even think about getting it. Another drawback is the UI is horrible, it is so cartoony, it looks like a little kid phone, but that can be taken care of by some devs just throwing vanilla Android on it, combine that with the Hummingbird processor, it could be a great phone.

I've heard that the Fascinate is going to be completely open and unlocked, does anyone know if Verizon will leave it that way?

Upvote 0
I will absolutely keep an open mind about the Fascinate. If the call quality is good and there aren't any major hardware issues I could see myself biting on this over the DX simply b/c of the signed boot loader debacle: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ootloader-flashing-roms-abandon-all-hope.html

I think most of us are expecting the Fascinate to have an unsigned boot loader. I also am assuming that the work with the Galaxy S will make for a quick rooting of the Fascinate and custom ROMs will soon follow. If this is the case, it really doesn't matter how crappy Samsung has made their modded version of Android.

Upvote 0
I will absolutely keep an open mind about the Fascinate. If the call quality is good and there aren't any major hardware issues I could see myself biting on this over the DX simply b/c of the signed boot loader debacle: http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ootloader-flashing-roms-abandon-all-hope.html

I think most of us are expecting the Fascinate to have an unsigned boot loader. I also am assuming that the work with the Galaxy S will make for a quick rooting of the Fascinate and custom ROMs will soon follow. If this is the case, it really doesn't matter how crappy Samsung has made their modded version of Android.

My thoughts exactly. I am not due for an upgrade till the end of this month anyway so I am just going to hold off on the X and see how the Fascinate compares when it comes out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones