• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X - Wifi Issue with WEP routers

Hey all,

The router i am trying to use is WEP protected. It's password is 5 characters (number combination), but my phone won't let me connect to the router unless I type in a minimum of 10 characters. The router works just fine (with my laptop for example), but I simply can't connect to it. Is there any way I can get my phone to connect to it with a less-than-10-character password?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Hey all,

The router i am trying to use is WEP protected. It's password is 5 characters (number combination), but my phone won't let me connect to the router unless I type in a minimum of 10 characters. The router works just fine (with my laptop for example), but I simply can't connect to it. Is there any way I can get my phone to connect to it with a less-than-10-character password?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

I can't help you figure out how to get the DX to connect with less than five characters, but maybe you could add five simple characters to the key on the router like 11111 or 12345. It may get you around the problem.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with a Droid X with Andriod 2.3.3. I can't connect to my AT&T wifi router when the router only requires a 5 letter password instead of a 13 character password.

I don't think it is the router problem because my iTouch, iPhone, iPad, Window XP, Windows 7 machines connect just fine. There has to be a problem with the Wifi software on Andriod 2.3.3. I think I will look for an alternative WiFi app for my Android and try that. If I succeed I'll post the fix.

Upvote 0
I have fixed this problem above. I just downloaded WiFi Manager from the Andriod Market place and installed it. I then disabled the WiFi in Android settings and then ran WiFi Manager. I selected my home network with the 5 digit password and this program then lit up the CONNECT button once I put in 5 digits. The original Andriod wifi app in settings would not do this until I put in 10 or 13 digits - an obvious programming error.

The new app WiFi Manager connected very quickly after I put in my 5 digit password and hit the CONNECT button.

Problem solved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones