• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X will not work 10 feet a cross the border

Ikona

Lurker
Jun 30, 2011
I have a Droid X which I love for the most part; however, I also live on the United States Mexico border too. Well for some reason when ever I am roughly ten to twenty feet into Mexico I have no signal goes to zero, no bars at all. This is unusual because when I am right at the fence I have full bars, but ten feet away it is zero. This happens in three did border borders just the same way. I was wondering if anyone knew if Verizon uses GPS, or some other system like that too lock the phone out from working because it is like their is a invisible wall between the United States and Mexico. If their is does anyone know how to turn this feature off, or if that can be done?

Also it seems weird because another phone on our family account which is a feature phone works fine in Mexico, but my Droid X & my father

I have a Droid X which I love for the most part; however, I also live on the United States Mexico border too. Well for some reason when ever I am roughly ten to twenty feet into Mexico I have no signal goes to zero, no bars at all. This is unusual because when I am right at the fence I have full bars, but ten feet away it is zero. This happens in three did border borders just the same way. I was wondering if anyone knew if Verizon uses GPS, or some other system like that too lock the phone out from working because it is like their is a invisible wall between the United States and Mexico. If their is does anyone know how to turn this feature off, or if that can be done?

Also it seems weird because another phone on our family account which is a feature phone works fine in Mexico, but my Droid X & my father

Upvote 0
While I am surprised the signal dropped so quickly and such a short distance from the border, I can assure you that Verizon placed their towers very carefully along the border. The signal outside of the US is basically wasted and therefore the companies are going to place those towers carefully to ensure that the tower broadcasts in the US as much as possible and inside Mexico as little as possible. Anytime a tower US consistently broadcasts in Mexico means wasted money for the cell provider.

What I mean by this is that if a US tower is positioned so that it broadcasts inside Mexico by 1/2 a mile, that tower was placed 1/2 mile too close to the border. By placing the tower correctly where it doesn't broadcast in Mexico at all (or very little), the cell provider gains an additional 1/2 mile coverage on the northern side of the cell tower range (because the tower is 1/2 mile farther into the US). The cell companies understand this and plan their towers accordingly.

Upvote 0
Also I agree the cellular phone provider is going to maximum the useful range of their towers; however, what still makes me believe their is some kind of program which kills the signals is that when I am ten feel on the U.S. side I have full bars, but when I am ten feet in Mexico I have no signal. How does the signal decay so quickly in ten or twenty feet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones