• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X: Your holding it wrong

irhxcbcziuzxs

Sep 17, 2010
So I called up customer service on my credit card today and its automated so i had to enter some numbers. Im sitting on my couch so I dont need to have the phone at an angle so its in my hand on its back, and I touch the number 1, nothing.. then the screen goes black, and then the dialer reappears, and it kept doing this, It works find when the phone is tilted towards me, but not on its back. This plus the auto rotation problems ive been having since 2.2 are really pissing me off :(

There's a proximity sensor in the phone that senses when you hold it to talk, so you don't accidently touch something (like end call) when up to your ear.

Most likely, with the phone on it's back, your hand was covering the proximity sensor, causing the screen to go black. As soon as you move your hand away, it comes back.

It's not the phone, it's how your using it. No Apple pun intended but true. Try not covering the sensor and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones