1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Droid X2 Powers off at random

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shep938, Jul 12, 2011.

1. shep938

shep938 Newbie
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    I have had my DX2 for about 3 weeks. Twice, the phone just shuts off by itself (once it was just sitting there and the second time it was just charging) and will not power back on until i remove and replace the battery. Has anybody else had or heard of this issue?

Advertisement

Briandpeters likes this.
  2. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    My phone has rebooted unexpectedly three times since I got it (about 6 weeks ago). Once it happened when removing the USB cable after an overnight charge (requiring a battery pull), once while launching PvZ, and once while it was sitting unused on my desk at work. It has never rebooted on me during a critical operation (like during a phone call) and I don't see the common link to why it happens for me. I assume it is a memory issue, but it has not been critical enough for me to raise hell with VZW (yet).

3. ABRMess006

ABRMess006 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2010
    Londonderry, NH
    Mine also has rebooted on me several times, a couple after I unplugged it from the charger, a few while recording a video, which I did lose and once or twicw while playing a game or youtube. I had since did a factory reset on the phone, did not install any third party apps, basically only have clockr, battstatt, facebook, pandora and nhl gamecenter, and I have not had a single restart yet. I am going on 3 days now with NO issues.

4. stephen65

stephen65 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Yesterday mine rebooted for the first time while traveling when I tried to use navigation for the first time. Every time I tried to use navigation the phone reboots.

Last night I went into the browser and it rebooted again. Now it's never done that before. Using the google search app does not cause a reboot.

Has anyone else had problems with reboots using navigation?

5. ABRMess006

None

Dec 30, 2010
    Londonderry, NH
    Not yet using navigation. If anyone is following this thread... http://androidforums.com/droid-x2-all-things-root/368424-well-finally-happened.html

I got a brand new X2 replacement right from the verizon store when I woke up and my phone wouldn't turn on, I didn't wanna pull the batt, I just brought it straight there, but I got the brand new one. Haven't had any issues with restarts YET... it's been a full day now. I have, however, had issues when I go to turn on the screen to unlock it, I will hit the top button/home like 10 times before it finally comes on, sometimes, I will hit the button and the hard keys will light up but thats it, after charging it up and rebooting it, I haven't had it yet again today but we shall see...

I really hope the updates that are gonna be released will fix these issues, otherwise going from the X to the X2, I am extremely disappointed, and I will most likely try to get back on the X again.

6. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    mine has rebooted at least 30 times since I bought it, including during calls. I'm really disappointed in this phone.

7. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    Editor-In-Chief for Creative Media Resources
    Daytona Beach, FL
    That's great! But it's not a solution. It's a workaround, and a poor one. I've actually had someone say to me, don't install 3rd party apps and you won't have issues. Then what is the point of an app market? It's like buying your laptop and being told not to put any software one it.

The rebooting is either a software design flaw from motorola, or a hardware design flaw from motorola and needs to be addressed. Sooner rather than later.

8. ABRMess006

None

Dec 30, 2010
    Londonderry, NH
    I have this posted all over the place but it didn't last long, after those few days, it started rebooting constantly. Finally I woke up one morning, actually yesterday and it wouldn't turn on, so I brought it Verizon, the guy originally said I would get a certified used through warranty, which I was not happy about, so he went to talk to the manager and came back with a brand new one for me.

Well yesterday, on the brand new one, the only issue I was having was I would have to hit the unlock button on the top or home like 10 times before the screen finally turned on. After charging it over night and using it throughout the day today, no issues at all yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

When I talked to the tech about the issue, he seemed to be extremely confident it was a major flaw in the software, and didn't seem to think it was any problem with the hardware at all. He definitely didn't seem like a typical moron Verizon tech so I am gonna take his word for it now and hope that a software update will fix most of the issues we are all having.

9. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    Editor-In-Chief for Creative Media Resources
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I would lean toward software myself. I actually like the phone....a lot. The turning off issue is huge though. I've talked to people who say sweet little things like "motorola or verizon don't owe you a software update". Yep, I agree. They do owe me a phone that has the capability to function as a phone. Turning off on its own doesn't fit that bill.

It always happens...I decide I'm getting a new phone, I read reviews of it, even check places like this, and the it's like some kind of bad karma....the problems start happening and I've already bought it. I tell people all the time if they want to avoid getting a phone (or any tech for that matter) that is a red headed stepchild wait until I buy then choose something different. Don't be surprised if the X2 is "left behind" in favor of other handsets---why?--because I bought it.

10. stephen65

stephen65 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Verizon replaced my phone about a week ago and I haven't had any issues since.

They decided to replace it after doing a system reset on it but then the Maps & Navigation had my location bouncing all around the city.

11. ABRMess006

None

Dec 30, 2010
    Londonderry, NH
    I finally had mine replaced as well, haven't had an issue at all for a week and a half straight. Just tonight though, watching about 10 minutes of youtube and it froze on me while continuing to play the video for about 20 seconds, then reboot. Only thing it has done though, so we shall see... will this keep up again like the last one? I hope not :\