• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The more I think about it, the more conflicted I am. The added resolution IS beneficial. I think the DX2 is the superior tool to the Charge. It is sturdier without question. The higher resolution allows more information on the screen at once. The speaker quality is better, and it IS a phone after all.

The Charge is just so much prettier to look at and use. I got used to the screen not ghosting/flickering when scrolling as on the DX1/2.

In any case, here's a macro pic of the screens to illustrate the difference in the technology being used for them.

http://i.imgur.com/lI9jc.jpg

Upvote 0
Both these phones also feel like they have a lot of performance left in them. The file system is so obviously killing the Charge in everyday responsiveness. And the new Blur, which is actually pretty good, still feels like it is slowing down the DX2.

We need clean gingerbread roms on both of them (and a fixed fs on the charge) to really get a good assessment of performance.

Upvote 0
I am really hoping gingerbread for droid x2 comes through with in the next month or so. I think verizon is not updating the droid x because they will probably update the droid x2 first since it would look really silly if they did, most likely the reason they haven't done it yet.

Upvote 0
My phone is on a fedex truck coming from PA to me on Long Island.. I am coming from (dont laugh) an HTC Touch Pro 2.. WinMo 6.5 Phone..

waiting for the jaws to hit the floor..

::THUD::

There we go..

SO needless to say i am just going to love the ability to ANSWER A %(*!# Phone call.. The rest is all BuTTA..
Hehe.. don't feel bad, I'm coming from the HTC Imagio!

Upvote 0
Yeah I have zero interest in Samsung - it's HTC or Moto for me. HTC appears to be trying to be the iPhone for Android - smooth/sleek/seamless - while Moto seems to be going for the more rugged, sturdy "schtick".

true, but I was disappointed in the build quality on the thunderbolt, my friends evo looked built much better all around. Droid X2 does feel really good in hand.

Upvote 0
Oh, and jntdroid: I'm sure that flickering is why Moto decided to change the blur menus from white on black to black on white. Cheaper than coming up with a new panel for their phones :) Maybe someday we will get the perfect phone.

hah, I had the same thought... gingerbread will be interesting - stock, anyway, is white text on black bg... though I'm sure blur will change that

Upvote 0
The DX had solid battery life, especially on GB... I wonder how battery life will be with the DX2 and dual core...

my first charge was terrible, lol. I used the phone alot I mean I was using it straight. I am doing the same now, I did a full charge after the battery went down to 10% and it has been much much better the second time around. I have had it unplugeed for about 6 hours now and after heavy use I still have 50% battery left.

Upvote 0
Both these phones also feel like they have a lot of performance left in them. The file system is so obviously killing the Charge in everyday responsiveness. And the new Blur, which is actually pretty good, still feels like it is slowing down the DX2.

We need clean gingerbread roms on both of them (and a fixed fs on the charge) to really get a good assessment of performance.

Ditto

Upvote 0
I've had a Nexus One, Droid Incredible, Droid X, Thunderbolt, and Droid X2 over the last year and a half or so. The Droid X2 is hands down the best.

The Droid X was the phone I have used for the longest period of time. It was my favorite phone.

I bought a Thunderbolt to replace my Droid X because I was eligible for an upgrade around the time it was coming out and wanted to see what all of the hype was about. First impressions were incredibly good. The UI was smooth and the phone was very noticeably faster than my Droid X.

It only went downhill from there.

The Thunderbolt ended up being a sheep in wolf's clothing. So many quirks with the phone that I slowly began to experience that over the course of a month I ended up completely hating the thing(Ironically, a lot of the reasons were why I ditched the Incredible for an X). Signal reception wasn't very good and the battery life was terrible. The GPS took an extremely long time to lock(Sometimes well over 2 minutes). The phone rebooted randomly. The power button slowly sank into the top of the phone and would sometimes get stuck in the down position. The phone was all plastic, it wasn't aluminum at all like the Inspire or Incredible 2. HTC Sense was full of inconsistencies and glitches. Sometimes it would be really smooth, sometimes it would be extremely laggy. The text message app would say there were unread messages even if there were none. The keyboard and autocorrect system is a joke. By default adding contacts to the phone doesn't add them to your google account contacts. You can't uninstall flash player. The calendar app removes options for some reason; you can't set the default reminder time to no reminder. The speaker was extremely quiet with the kickstand shut.

The Droid X2 has none of these problems. It's faster than the Thunderbolt in every regard. The GPS locks even in my bedroom in a few seconds; the Thunderbolt would never lock in my bedroom. A lot of the bloatware can be uninstalled. The keyboard is a lot like the Droid X's keyboard(A very good thing). The build quality is superb just like the Droid X was. I like the screen too. It's very similar to the Droid X's screen in terms of brightness and colors. Both I like more than the Thunderbolt's screen which was too dark and hard to view in sunlight. Signal reception is extremely good just like the Droid X. The new Blur is very polished I like it.

Droid X2 is a keeper and easily the best phone on Verizon right now

Upvote 0
Can anybody comment in more detail about the X2's battery life? How long are you going until you need to charge.

I'm between this and the Incredible2 which supposedly has a great battery life.

Thanks.

I used it for 6 hours yesterday, constantly, right out of box (battery ships at about 60%) before needing to charge. I played need for speed, browsed internet, downloaded 10-15 apps, talked on phone probably about 30minutes, used GPS navigation, and watched a few YouTube videos. Now as for full charge, I will have more details after a full day of use...stay tuned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones