1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Droid X2 to charge?.........help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by androidOCD, Jun 14, 2011.

1. androidOCD

androidOCD Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    ]Last week I gave my wife my DROID X and picked up an X2. Well, after more than a week I like the X2 but I don't love it. I'm disappointed with the performance of this dual core phone, I expected better out of the X2. I don't have any major issues but the little problems can get to you..... the audio skips and pops, the phone can lag at times and was really laggy with live wallpaper running. Im using launcher pro and that runs pretty smooth.

With only a few days left I have to decide if I am going to get the charge. I would appreciate any input from previous X2 users that now have a charge. This is my main phone so its important that it performs overall good or even great as a phone. Questions I have about the charge

1) How is the call quality of the charge compare to the X2?
    2)How Signal strength?
    3) Not comparing data speeds how does the browser experience compare?

Thanks for any feedback .....I want to make a good decision and have a phone that I enjoy using.

Advertisement

2. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I also tried the X2 and the Lg revolution before the charge coming from a droidX. The X is a hard act to follow.

1. I havent noticed a big difference in call quality so I would say it is a wash. The Charge volume on the media does not go as loud though.

2. Signal strength seems about the same. I took to my cabin last weekend and was hoping that it would be better than the X in spotty areas but it is not. That said it is not any worse. It will hesitate if you are going from 4g to 3g areas and doing something.

3. Download speeds are so much faster it is really rediculous. I had doggcatcher to download podcasts and with the X I would always wait for a wifi signal to download. 4g speeds blow my home computer away download wise.
    As far as browser experience to tell you the truth it is not really what I expected. While the download experinece is easily 3 to 4 times faster it seem like the browser is faster but not near the differnce as download speed.

All in all I would say it is a worthwhile upgrade. The battery is fine, not great but not terrible either. I would watch out for the micro sd card if you have wake up speed problems or connection to the computer issues. I had to change cards. I did a speed test on the card that came with it and the read/write speeds with the card that came with the phone were very good but for some reason it just was not syncing properly. I have a Lexar class six card now that has greatly improved the whole experience of this phone. IF you upgrade in cards get them from the mfg or a known reseller. Most of the crap they are selling on ebay and Amazon are relabeled off brad stuff. You pay a bit more but will get what you need.

3. addictedtocars

addictedtocars Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    I was on the fence between X2 and DC. I kept reading how X2 was fast, had great signal reception and call quality. I hesitantly went with DC figuring if I had any issues during 14 days I woudl jump on X2 ASAP. Well I must say while I can't compare it to the X2 I can say signal recption is excellent and call quality is top notch. GF got an iPhone 4 same day I got DC and we are both VZ so as we go around I try and compare coverage an dsignal strength and while bars is not a perfect indicator I can say the DC and iPhone run neck and neck. On some occasions the iPhone will have 1 more bar, but that just may be how they detemrine bars of strength. I get great coverage at work where my old Moto flip was usually 1 bar, the DC is 2-3 consistently. Areas where my Moto flip coverage would be marginal the DC is strong. The only real complaints I have about the DC is the slow file systems (can be fixed with voodoo lag fix) and the sparse RAM, 328MB of RAM how cheap can these people be, there is no reason a phone should not have 512MB of RAM and finally they shoudl have made the phone maybe 1mm thicker so they could have done say a 1900mAh battery which would have make this the ultimate killer phone. On the bright side they do give you a 32GB flash card so you are set to rock day one. The latest EE4 OTA update really makes the phone nice. I was hoping for the Bionic to come out, but at this point I am very happy with the DC.

4. Rominucka

Rominucka Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    It's hard to explain
    Delray Beach, FL
    The audio volume for me is way more than enough. I watch a lot of streaming video of shows with wide dynamic range and I have no problem hearing dialog or anything else out of the speaker on the phone.

The audio output is actually TOO much at full volume. I'm a professional audio engineer (semi-retired) and I'm very particular. At full volume (15) it distorts the amplifier of my car, I back it down one notch (14) and it's perfect. The digital-to-analog converter (coupled with some built-in sweetening, of course) is much, much better than the Samsung Indulge. The bass is more full, it's exceptionally punchy, and the high-end is nice and crisp. All my music sounds clearer, with better stereo imaging, and much better clarity at the quiet end of wide dynamic music. The clarity is so good that I was suspicious of there being some kind of automatic gain, but there is not.

On top of all that, the phone has built in EQ (presets and custom settings) along with various effects (reverbs and whatnot).

Call quality can be enhanced by going to the phone settings and enabling the "Noise Reduction" feature. People tell me I sound amazingly clear on my Bluetooth, but didn't sound so hot on my Charge, but when I turned on my Noise Reduction they couldn't tell the difference between the handset and the Bluetooth.

5. addictedtocars

addictedtocars Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    In general I liked my DC. I brought it back last night becasue battery life has been hot and miss and I was in day 14. Ironically I am thinking of going X2 off contract until Bionic is out. The DC screen is nice, but huge power draw even on lowest brightness. The phone witht he EE4 update is real sweet,, but I still was using Go Launcher and Dolphin HD for browzer and loving them. I was a little dispsointed that a $300 phone only had 328MB of RAM, you woudl think 512MB would be minimum. Maybe this is all Android phones, but I am not sur eI want to be thered to power all the time. I really don't want an iPhone, but the gf's iPhone with a little less use than me goes all day with 45% battery left at the end of the day. I'm hoping an X2 with extended battery can make it through the day without having battery anxiety.