• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
You won't see them going back to mini USB. Mini USB is going away, everything will be micro soon.

Yeah, I just like the pin design better. More robust, thicker tabs. Could hold more current. I mean hell the DX pulls some juice from your car charger and you need those thicker power wires for the loss (at 4ft +)

Surprisingly I would also love to see all the strange camera plugs go away too. Guess that will happen soon.

Wonder when we will see the replacement of the USB A end. That's got to go away soon. its over 10 years old now.

Upvote 0
Has anyone here filled a 32 gig card?

GULP... I only have half of my 16 gig card filled and I feel like I"ve gone crazy with the apps/backups.

well how else do you carry 6 hours of homemade HD pron? duh? (edit on another forum I use we have autocensors and I still type that way, just future reference)

Meanwhile, I can't fill mine but I wondered what the limit of the DX was. I would like to see a more accessible, hot swappable memory card slot.

(and go back to SD instead of microSD simply because I have lots of those and the card readers)

But seriously, have it on the side (like some crackberries) where it is easily ejectable without powering off the device. And also hot swappable. Granted you would loose some of your apps if they were on the card. But if all system apps were on the phone memory, then you could trade out storage, if you were traveling and taking pics or vids and ran out of space.

Maybe 2 card slots. One internal for apps and extensions, and a hot swappable external one for pics, music, vids etc.

Upvote 0
My 16gb card only has 200mb free, and I have about another 8gb of music I want to put on it...

Let alone the people that actually watch movies on the X, which I don't do.

More space = more better. :D

Are you one of those people that has 4 TB hard drives in there computer at home still worried about space but keeping 9 different backups of every picture they ever took? ;)

I have a friend like that, and once I got then to agree to move some backups off and make DVD's and keep them in a safe. He freed up like 2 TB's of space in a week. Now they keep all their videos and pics on discs in a safe deposit box. I feel sorry for their kids.

Upvote 0
1. 4.5-4.8" screen
2. 2 ghz dual core processor
3. NO OLED

+1

Now that I'm used to this screen, I'd actually consider one with an even bigger screen (something I never thought I'd say when I first got the phone). I'm not talking ridiculous, but a few tenths of an inch bigger would be doable. It's not a must, but I'd be interested to see what a bigger screen looked like.

Now that I've discovered the world of ROMs I'm completely happy with the speed of this device. I barely have any need for overclocking anymore my DX is so freaking fast on GummyJAR. Still, a 1.5 or 2.0 ghz processor would be welcome, although only if it doesn't seriously hinder battery life. If they haven't evolved battery saver technology any, then stick with the 1 ghz processor and just find ways to make it run with blur (because I'm a realist and know they're never going to give us a blurless device) as smooth as it does without it.

And I have no desire for an Amoled screen, much less a SuperAmoled screen. They suck up too much juice, and the graphics don't look any better IMO. The blacks do look better, I'll give em that, but for my money I'm fine with the LCD screen.

Bigger battery out of the box is a must IMO. The extended battery Verizon sold was just fine, no need for the 2600 monster Seidio came out with. If it's going to have a 1.5 or 2.0 processor in it and/or a SuperAmoled screen then they better pack it with at least a 2000 mAh battery in order for it to be taken seriously.

However all of this is moot if it comes out with a locked bootloader. My next device will NOT have a locked bootloader, no matter how freaking fantastic it is otherwise. After tasting Ultimate Droid I realize what all the fuss was about when everyone realized they wouldn't have a true Cyenogen ROM available for the DX. Now I realize how much that SUCKS!!!

So long as Moto locks the bootloader, then I'll be on another device. Their hardware is totally kick ass, the best in the biz IMO. Their build quality is as well. I personally love their designs, and am a big fan of the quality of their product. I just hate the limitations they slap on them. The limitations negate all of the other advantages for me personally.

Upvote 0
most of the upgrades are of course key, processor, graphics, resolutions, all will be upped. Gingerbread or higher will happen so i don't need to wish for that. as for screen, i don't want amoled b/c you can't see it in the sun. remember phones also have to be usable outside. I like seeing my screen during the day

Upvote 0
Yeah, I just like the pin design better. More robust, thicker tabs. Could hold more current. I mean hell the DX pulls some juice from your car charger and you need those thicker power wires for the loss (at 4ft +)

Actually, the Micro design is much better. The locking tabs are on the cable now, so when they go, you replace the cable and not the device. The micro design is rated for a whole lot more plug/unplug cycles.

I haven't read up on the power specs, got a link for that? I'm just curious, hadn't read about any disadvantage on the micro standard.

Upvote 0
Maybe 2 card slots. One internal for apps and extensions, and a hot swappable external one for pics, music, vids etc.

This is what I was thinking. I'd say they have the SD card where they do so that you can't yank it out accidentally and screw up the phone if it was using an app that was on it. Also that's where the cache is kept, so it might cause problems there too. So I'd suggest an internal SD card for apps and the cache, and an external SD card slot specifically for music and/or movies.

Then we'd have the best of both worlds and Binary Visions would be a happy camper! ;)

Upvote 0
Are you one of those people that has 4 TB hard drives in there computer at home still worried about space but keeping 9 different backups of every picture they ever took? ;)

No, actually, I only have about 2tb of total space in my computer and less than half of that is used.

I'm a photographer, though, so I have roughly 200gb of photos, and one whole compressed copy of that on a different drive on the computer to protect against drive failure.

I have a friend like that, and once I got then to agree to move some backups off and make DVD's and keep them in a safe. He freed up like 2 TB's of space in a week. Now they keep all their videos and pics on discs in a safe deposit box. I feel sorry for their kids.

Hope your friend is going to enjoy opening that safe in two years and finding all of the DVDs to be unreadable. Consumer burnable DVDs have a pretty short shelf life, some lasting as few as 2-3 years and the rest having a varying lifespan that's impossible to predict.

People would do better to keep everything locally stored on the computer, and subscribe to a service like Backblaze to keep backups. Of course, that requires some discipline where you don't keep everything you've ever taken a picture of. I try to regularly go through and purge what I don't want/need.

Upvote 0
Hope your friend is going to enjoy opening that safe in two years and finding all of the DVDs to be unreadable. Consumer burnable DVDs have a pretty short shelf life, some lasting as few as 2-3 years and the rest having a varying lifespan that's impossible to predict...

Say what? Unreadable after 2 or 3 years? I converted my old VHS home video's to DVD via consumer burnable DVD'S something like 6 or 7 years ago and we just watched a few of them while my kids were up during Christmas and they read just fine.

When you say 'as few as', are you saying if the burner and/or disk was of low quality? If that's the case then it makes sense, but I haven't come across any disks that my DVD player can't read that I've made myself as of yet anyway. Man that would suck if my old home video's evaporated on me, I think I'll back them up to my hard drive (I have a 2 tb BlackArmor Freeagent) just in case.

Upvote 0
Say what? Unreadable after 2 or 3 years? I converted my old VHS home video's to DVD via consumer burnable DVD'S something like 6 or 7 years ago and we just watched a few of them while my kids were up during Christmas and they read just fine.

It varies wildly. Quality of the DVD, quality of the burner, quality of the place you store them, humidity, heat, lots of stuff.

When you say 'as few as', are you saying if the burner and/or disk was of low quality? If that's the case then it makes sense, but I haven't come across any disks that my DVD player can't read that I've made myself as of yet anyway. Man that would suck if my old home video's evaporated on me, I think I'll back them up to my hard drive (I have a 2 tb BlackArmor Freeagent) just in case.

They won't be readable forever. Live digital copies, man. Archiving to DVD is convenient but not permanent and shouldn't be something you dump away and forget about. Storage is cheap, buy a big drive, subscribe to an online backup service, and rest easy.

Upvote 0
It's sad but I think tape is the most reliable way to archive... if DVD copies aren't reliable that is. Hard drive storage isn't fool proof either as I found out the hard way.

My ex and I ran a photography business and had our photo's backed up on a 1 tb FreeAgent, and then again on a 2 tb Maxtor. The Maxtor was a twin disk, mirror system, so theoretically our pics were backed up 3 times... you'd think that was enough. Well one electric storm later (yes we had all of our equipment plugged into an external surge protector/battery pack... seems they aren't 100% reliable either) and both of the hard drives were toast. Unfathomable.

$2500 dollars was the ticket on the recovery from Seagate. Not a fun experience, expecially since I was the one who convinced my ex that having them backed up 3 times was sufficient and that we didn't need to archive on DVD's like she always had in the past. To me the DVD back ups were bulky, time consuming, and expensive. I truely believed that the way I had it set-up was for the most part fool-proof.

Guess you can never be TOO safe.

Upvote 0
+1

Now that I'm used to this screen, I'd actually consider one with an even bigger screen (something I never thought I'd say when I first got the phone). I'm not talking ridiculous, but a few tenths of an inch bigger would be doable. It's not a must, but I'd be interested to see what a bigger screen looked like.

Now that I've discovered the world of ROMs I'm completely happy with the speed of this device. I barely have any need for overclocking anymore my DX is so freaking fast on GummyJAR. Still, a 1.5 or 2.0 ghz processor would be welcome, although only if it doesn't seriously hinder battery life. If they haven't evolved battery saver technology any, then stick with the 1 ghz processor and just find ways to make it run with blur (because I'm a realist and know they're never going to give us a blurless device) as smooth as it does without it.

And I have no desire for an Amoled screen, much less a SuperAmoled screen. They suck up too much juice, and the graphics don't look any better IMO. The blacks do look better, I'll give em that, but for my money I'm fine with the LCD screen.

Bigger battery out of the box is a must IMO. The extended battery Verizon sold was just fine, no need for the 2600 monster Seidio came out with. If it's going to have a 1.5 or 2.0 processor in it and/or a SuperAmoled screen then they better pack it with at least a 2000 mAh battery in order for it to be taken seriously.

However all of this is moot if it comes out with a locked bootloader. My next device will NOT have a locked bootloader, no matter how freaking fantastic it is otherwise. After tasting Ultimate Droid I realize what all the fuss was about when everyone realized they wouldn't have a true Cyenogen ROM available for the DX. Now I realize how much that SUCKS!!!

So long as Moto locks the bootloader, then I'll be on another device. Their hardware is totally kick ass, the best in the biz IMO. Their build quality is as well. I personally love their designs, and am a big fan of the quality of their product. I just hate the limitations they slap on them. The limitations negate all of the other advantages for me personally.

Threadhijack 1: having compared devices on Cyanogenmod what exactly do they do that a decently ROM'd DX (themed or otherwise) doesn't do just as well or at most better. Really. Granted I haven't seen cyanogenmod on a similar processored device. But still. I don't see the OMG advantage everyone screams about. yes its more open, but you are also disengaged from your carrier in some respects. (IE still no OTA updates for data tables and etc). I just don't see it being a real benefit. Otherwise I picked MOTO because of past experience and the specs they do package some of the best hardware out there. /threadhijack1

Actually, the Micro design is much better. The locking tabs are on the cable now, so when they go, you replace the cable and not the device. The micro design is rated for a whole lot more plug/unplug cycles.

I haven't read up on the power specs, got a link for that? I'm just curious, hadn't read about any disadvantage on the micro standard.

Look into the accessories section for past discussion about car charger devices. The DX will pull more than a full AMP when conditions are right, hell look at the charger specs vs other devices. Ours is a full AMP, others are 850mA or 900 at best. let alone that the moto sourced MicroUSB cable has 22AWG wires on the powerleads, vs the standard 24awg on all leads. You will notice that even monoprice sells cables like that on purpose. Other devices are doing this too now. (new blackberries like the torch, etc)

That is what I am going by. When you use a cheaper microUSB cable it doesn't charge as well. (again, in a car, more than 6ft cable run all wires 24awg)

As far as the micoUSB thing, glad you mentioned that. I was thinking more along the lines of the repetitive wear and jarring of the pins. They do hold pretty well.

No, actually, I only have about 2tb of total space in my computer and less than half of that is used.

I'm a photographer, though, so I have roughly 200gb of photos, and one whole compressed copy of that on a different drive on the computer to protect against drive failure.

Hope your friend is going to enjoy opening that safe in two years and finding all of the DVDs to be unreadable. Consumer burnable DVDs have a pretty short shelf life, some lasting as few as 2-3 years and the rest having a varying lifespan that's impossible to predict.

People would do better to keep everything locally stored on the computer, and subscribe to a service like Backblaze to keep backups. Of course, that requires some discipline where you don't keep everything you've ever taken a picture of. I try to regularly go through and purge what I don't want/need.

Threadhijack #2: I told him that too. There are some burnable DVD's that are better (imation for example) and I told him that. Thinking about using a hard drive and just putting it in storage. (cheap drive in a double walled safe, take it out and refresh the data every 3 months or so)

I keep waiting to see someone develop a DVD setup that is guarenteed for 5 years. Won't happen though. Course I hear that memory sticks will hold data for years, uncharged. /threadhijack#2

Upvote 0
+1

Now that I'm used to this screen, I'd actually consider one with an even bigger screen (something I never thought I'd say when I first got the phone). I'm not talking ridiculous, but a few tenths of an inch bigger would be doable.
Id like it to be a little bigger, but they can do a 4.8" screen without increasing the size if they can utilize all the black space on the glass with the Motorola and Verizon logos.

Upvote 0
It's sad but I think tape is the most reliable way to archive... if DVD copies aren't reliable that is. Hard drive storage isn't fool proof either as I found out the hard way.

Tape isn't that great either. Tends to have bleeding of the magnetic fields across the wound ribbons.

You can buy archival-quality DVDs but they're expensive and since they're stored offline, you never know when one of them has gone bad. It's not like a flag pops up that says, "HEY, I'VE GONE BAD REPLACE ME IMMEDIATELY."

My ex and I ran a photography business and had our photo's backed up on a 1 tb FreeAgent, and then again on a 2 tb Maxtor. The Maxtor was a twin disk, mirror system, so theoretically our pics were backed up 3 times... you'd think that was enough. Well one electric storm later (yes we had all of our equipment plugged into an external surge protector/battery pack... seems they aren't 100% reliable either) and both of the hard drives were toast. Unfathomable.

I don't consider anything to be backed up until it is off-site. Out of my house, out of my computer, somewhere else.

My photos get transferred from the compact flash card to the computer. Once they are on the computer, they get automatically backed up off-site via Backblaze. Once they are off-site, I delete them from the compact flash - not before.

As I said, I also keep a copy on two separate disks on the computer but that's more for convenience so I don't have to download files if a disk goes bad.

Seriously, these $5/month, unlimited storage places are a Godsend. Everyone should be doing this. For $50-60/year, you never have to think about backing up your computer, unless you're doing such a large volume of data that your uplink can't handle it. Even then, you can just manually do the big stuff and let everything else go automatically.

Upvote 0
That is what I am going by. When you use a cheaper microUSB cable it doesn't charge as well. (again, in a car, more than 6ft cable run all wires 24awg)

Oh... that doesn't really have anything to do with the micro USB standard, though, just cheap manufacturers buying skimpy cables.

Threadhijack #2: I told him that too. There are some burnable DVD's that are better (imation for example) and I told him that. Thinking about using a hard drive and just putting it in storage. (cheap drive in a double walled safe, take it out and refresh the data every 3 months or so)

I keep waiting to see someone develop a DVD setup that is guarenteed for 5 years. Won't happen though. Course I hear that memory sticks will hold data for years, uncharged. /threadhijack#2

Memory sticks aren't good because most of the current flash media is cheap. High quality flash media could do this, but not your average flash drive.

There are archival quality DVDs.

http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media

Verbatim Store > UltraLife™ Gold Archival Grade DVD-R 4.7GB 8X 50pk Spindle

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R Media: Taiyo Yuden DVD R Discs, & other Taiyo Yuden Blank Media products | SuperMediaStore.com

Upvote 0
Threadhijack 1: having compared devices on Cyanogenmod what exactly do they do that a decently ROM'd DX (themed or otherwise) doesn't do just as well or at most better. Really. Granted I haven't seen cyanogenmod on a similar processored device. But still. I don't see the OMG advantage everyone screams about...

Just for future reference, when I talk about these sorts of things I am only talking about my own personal viewpoints and opinions. Those are not meant to be blanket statements or include what everyone else should think and feel. It's obvious that the vast majority of the members on this forum are absolutely over the moon with Apex, and that's fine with me, it really is. I honestly don't care what anyone else likes, dislikes, runs or doesn't run, it has zero effect on me.

I'm basing Cyanogen on my experience with Ultimate Droid to be honest. I still have not played with a device with a true Obsidian ROM run on it. But from what I understand, Ultimate Droid is basically a rip-off of Cyanogen. And that ROM, in its beta form, runs 100 times better on my DX than any other ROM I've tried since. There's no contest, it's not even close. It's all about device responsiveness for me. And with UDX on my phone lag went from about a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10 (and that was with all of my tweeks working, overclocked... Autokiller running, all of the bloat I could take out of it gone... before that it was probably a 6 on that same scale) to a negative 5. My DX literally performed faster than any other device I've ever touched. I never even attempted to overclock the entire time (I tried it for about 2 weeks before I just couldn't take not having GPS or my video camera work anymore) I had UDX on my phone. There was simply no use for it. It couldn't have responded any quicker to my commands. It just couldn't.

So I can only imagine what that ROM would be like with a fully working GPS, and video camera to boot (i.e. Cyanogenmod). Which is why I say it sucks not to be able to have that ROM as an option. Sucks for me, not necessarily for you or anyone else. Just for me.

Upvote 0
i want mine to confuse my wife and make her think im doing housework while im playing call of duty.

I'll take that and raise you a

Control the spousal unit entirely. IE, mute, etc etc. I mean really, don't we have radio mind control yet? The aliens do.

Tape isn't that great either. Tends to have bleeding of the magnetic fields across the wound ribbons.

You can buy archival-quality DVDs but they're expensive and since they're stored offline, you never know when one of them has gone bad. It's not like a flag pops up that says, "HEY, I'VE GONE BAD REPLACE ME IMMEDIATELY."

I don't consider anything to be backed up until it is off-site. Out of my house, out of my computer, somewhere else.

My photos get transferred from the compact flash card to the computer. Once they are on the computer, they get automatically backed up off-site via Backblaze. Once they are off-site, I delete them from the compact flash - not before.

As I said, I also keep a copy on two separate disks on the computer but that's more for convenience so I don't have to download files if a disk goes bad.

Seriously, these $5/month, unlimited storage places are a Godsend. Everyone should be doing this. For $50-60/year, you never have to think about backing up your computer, unless you're doing such a large volume of data that your uplink can't handle it. Even then, you can just manually do the big stuff and let everything else go automatically.

Continue threadhijack: I just don't trust other people with my stuff, I mean really what if they smurf it up or get hit with a bomb or something. (completely random I know) I agree with you though, I like being able to lay my hands on my stuff when I want to.

Upvote 0
If they get hit by a bomb, then I still have the stuff locally... and it's fully encrypted, so they can't actually look at it/touch it. Plus I can browse it/download stuff at will so I can always verify that the online backup is good an functional.

We'd both have to get hit by a bomb simultaneously for me to lose my stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones