• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Just for future reference, when I talk about these sorts of things I am only talking about my own personal viewpoints and opinions. Those are not meant to be blanket statements or include what everyone else should think and feel. It's obvious that the vast majority of the members on this forum are absolutely over the moon with Apex, and that's fine with me, it really is. I honestly don't care what anyone else likes, dislikes, runs or doesn't run, it has zero effect on me.

I'm basing Cyanogen on my experience with Ultimate Droid to be honest. I still have not played with a device with a true Obsidian ROM run on it. But from what I understand, Ultimate Droid is basically a rip-off of Cyanogen. And that ROM, in its beta form, runs 100 times better on my DX than any other ROM I've tried since. There's no contest, it's not even close. It's all about device responsiveness for me. And with UDX on my phone lag went from about a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10 (and that was with all of my tweeks working, overclocked... Autokiller running, all of the bloat I could take out of it gone... before that it was probably a 6 on that same scale) to a negative 5. My DX literally performed faster than any other device I've ever touched. I never even attempted to overclock the entire time (I tried it for about 2 weeks before I just couldn't take not having GPS or my video camera work anymore) I had UDX on my phone. There was simply no use for it. It couldn't have responded any quicker to my commands. It just couldn't.

So I can only imagine what that ROM would be like with a fully working GPS, and video camera to boot (i.e. Cyanogenmod). Which is why I say it sucks not to be able to have that ROM as an option. Sucks for me, not necessarily for you or anyone else. Just for me.

Well Never heard it put that way, maybe you have a dud. I just use my DX against a friends HTC something with cyanogenmod. and honestly we do the same things and will occasionally some apps load faster that the slower device. I have more features overall, and most of the time mine responds faster. Not lock screen studder and minor stuff like that doesn't bother me. LAG bothers me.

Upvote 0
Seriously, these $5/month, unlimited storage places are a Godsend. Everyone should be doing this. For $50-60/year, you never have to think about backing up your computer, unless you're doing such a large volume of data that your uplink can't handle it. Even then, you can just manually do the big stuff and let everything else go automatically.

I looked into those after this incident. And while I agree with you that it's a awesome idea, the only reason I didn't go with one at that time (I have no use for them now that we're broken up) is because there were like 50 million of them out there. Which means that some of them will fail.

I'd say in a few years there will be a clear-cut absolute rock solid candidate to choose. But for now I wasn't willing to give them my money, and pictures only to see their company fold and my storage disappear along with it. But yes, it is definately the wave of the future.

Upvote 0
I love my DX, but I will not buy another Moto until they quit filling it with bloat and locking it down.

Hate to say this, but don't buy any other device either. Same shit different name.

Really.

Until a carrier stops trying to subsidize profits with marketing to corporate hype, then you will always have bloatware. Hell, look at the new windows phones and the iphone. tell me they don't have bloatware on them too.

I honestly don't mind as long as I can still root. That is my main concern

Hell I would be willing to pay extra for a non-subsidized device. But how much extra?

Course we will still be having this discussion when asking what do you want in your DX3 Or whatever they call it then.

Upvote 0
I looked into those after this incident. And while I agree with you that it's a awesome idea, the only reason I didn't go with one at that time (I have no use for them now that we're broken up) is because there were like 50 million of them out there. Which means that some of them will fail.

I'd say in a few years there will be a clear-cut absolute rock solid candidate to choose. But for now I wasn't willing to give them my money, and pictures only to see their company fold and my storage disappear along with it. But yes, it is definately the wave of the future.

I don't see the failure as a big deal and I anticipated it when I signed up.

If Backblaze goes under, what happens? I sign up with another service. Backblaze can't use my data because it's all encrypted. It's no big deal to me because the chances of them going under, simultaneous to my system failing, is very small. In the meantime, I have a hassle-free backup.

Upvote 0
I have almost 50gb of just music. So I put none of it on my phone because I don't know what to put on it.

Seriously you can't just make a playlist or 2 and just upload those files to the DX.

Sorry but I too have more music and vids and pics that I can carry on the DX.

Don't really need to put all of it on there, nor do I want to.

but you can sync playlists in Windows media player, and just upload those files as needed.

Or worst case load like 8gb of your more recent stuff to the device. and constantly update and erase. Its not that hard.

Upvote 0
I don't see the failure as a big deal and I anticipated it when I signed up.

If Backblaze goes under, what happens? I sign up with another service. Backblaze can't use my data because it's all encrypted. It's no big deal to me because the chances of them going under, simultaneous to my system failing, is very small. In the meantime, I have a hassle-free backup.

encrypted by you or by them. IE who's software did you use and how is the loaded?

I had the same worry early on. Granted like all services there is trust associated. I mean you have to trust the stripper not to bite when you give her 40 for a hummer. Or so I hear.

Upvote 0
It's easy to encrypt locally if you're paranoid.

Personally, I use the provisioned tool that encrypts immediately before transmission. It is, to be sure, a measure of trust. On the other hand, they are company that has been around for a few years, has a good customer base and has a history of openness.

You have dozens of pieces of software on your computer and apps on your phone that you trust. There's a point at which you need to either put some modicum of trust into the companies you are consuming from. I don't trust them with storing my data in plaintext. I do trust that they are actually encrypting my data since it makes little sense for them not to - it would open them up to all kinds of lawsuits, and is not beneficial to them to lie about it.

The benefits they reap from providing a secure storage medium are far greater than the benefits they'd gain from lying about it.

Upvote 0
It's easy to encrypt locally if you're paranoid.

Personally, I use the provisioned tool that encrypts immediately before transmission. It is, to be sure, a measure of trust. On the other hand, they are company that has been around for a few years, has a good customer base and has a history of openness.

You have dozens of pieces of software on your computer and apps on your phone that you trust. There's a point at which you need to either put some modicum of trust into the companies you are consuming from. I don't trust them with storing my data in plaintext. I do trust that they are actually encrypting my data since it makes little sense for them not to - it would open them up to all kinds of lawsuits, and is not beneficial to them to lie about it.

The benefits they reap from providing a secure storage medium are far greater than the benefits they'd gain from lying about it.

I agree on most points. I just like to sound far more paranoid that I really am.

1. Same size device so all of my accessories fit the new phone!!

This is a great point. Course if they do make a bigger screen . . .

Surprised nobody likes my folding screen idea. I spent a full 22 seconds coming up with that one.

OH and what is the louder speaker thing. The speaker is made to reflect off of some surface. or for the phone to be upside down when using it.

I find its plenty loud, until I try to use in on the arm of my leather couch.

Stereo would be nice, but honestly if listening to music I just use the headphone jack with headphones or my HT speaker setup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones