• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Right now the only thing I want for my next phone that this one falls short of is:

1. Stock android
2. Louder speaker
3. LTE

I love this phone but the way moto is going I don't think my next phone will be moto with their bloatware and locked bootloader. I definitely wont buy HTC, so hopefully someone steps up and matches moto's hardware quality.

Upvote 0
Is there any reason to believe that when a 64gb card comes out it won't work? I don't see them limiting the card size limit just because they can. If there is a limit right now it should just take an os update to raise the limit.

The card reader in the Droid X officially supports micro SD HC only. MicroSD HC only goes up to 32GB, it's not technologically possible for it to go further. The next gen MicroSD cards are called MicroSD XC. These will eventually go way over 100GB. It's not very likely that the Droid X will support them but it may be possible.

Upvote 0
Vanilla Android or just a better UI.

Higher screen res

Stay with LCD, or SAMOLED with no Pentile Matrix

Dual core, OMAP 4 series (wanted to see Tegra 2 in action, but after reading battery life isnt that great vs the other dual core chips...OMAP, Hummingbird, Intel or a better Snapdragon will do.)

Why not: Front Camera...

LTE ready

Louder speaker

6 Axis accelerometer; gyroscope

TV/HDMI out like the Samsung Galaxy S

Upvote 0
I am not one to focus on specs. Performance is all that matters to me. That said- what do I want out of my next gen smartphone?

Good video chat options over 3g/4g. That means front facing camera AND the software to support it on multiple platforms.

Battery life. It needs to go a full 24 hours with moderate to heavy use, including video, downloading, calls, etc.

Better VPN support. Android's VPN on the Droid X is broken. It needs to be able to communicate properly with secured servers in a business environment. This will allow better integration with corporate files, printing, database access, etc.

Browsers that support ALL of the web, including Java, Flash, Silverlight, AIR, etc.

A smooth, clean, and fast UI- no lag, no 12 clicks to get to get to things.

An open, unlocked platform allowing developers to supply software that can take advantage of everything the hardware is capable of, without carrier blocks, lock downs, or extreme hacking to get it to work.

I don't think a higher res screen is all that important as it can already clearly display text so small I can't read it and play video at high enough quality to watch and enjoy it.

The input/output of these things needs to change a bit. I would love to plug my HDMI out into a monitor and use my device full screen with a keyboard and mouse. Make this thing replace my laptop!

Of course, keep it all under $500 unsubsidized. Yeah- I'm asking for a lot. This response is a bit different than the others, let me know what you think.

Upvote 0
I'm actually way more interested in the software aspect than hardware upgrades. I'd like to see a vanilla Android device with 2.3.

Don't care about the front facing camera.

Don't want SAMOLED unless they properly calibrate it so it doesn't have the ridiculous saturation levels of all the Galaxy S phones and doesn't look grainy to me like all the Pentile matrix phones do.

Don't want a bigger LCD, 4.3" is as big as I'll carry.

I want better software, world-phone capable (i.e. CDMA + GSM), and to keep improving battery life. I'd also like a better camera, I can't entirely tell if it's the software or the hardware but it's definitely not up to the iPhone 4's camera.

Upvote 0
Aw heck, why not? My Droid X2 wish list:

• 2GHz Tegra4 proc.
  • 4.3" super-high-res screen w/ Gorilla Glass
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Vanilla ROM - I'll take Ice Cream, but I'd prefer Jalapeno or Kabob
  • Ability to uninstall Blur completely without rooting, made by Moto themselves should they decide to mess with the AOSP experience.
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Touch-sensitive buttons instead of the wobbly hard ones on my current X
  • Front-facing camera, better lens and faster response for rear-facing camera
  • 6 axis gyroscope
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • 4GB RAM, 16GB onboard storage, SDXC card input that is swappable without removing the battery cover
  • uniform body profile - no camera hump
  • Higher quality speaker parts capable of greater volume with less distortion
  • Unlocked bootloader

I think I've covered my wish list.

Upvote 0
Right now the only thing I want for my next phone that this one falls short of is:

1. Stock android
2. Louder speaker
3. LTE

I love this phone but the way moto is going I don't think my next phone will be moto with their bloatware and locked bootloader. I definitely wont buy HTC, so hopefully someone steps up and matches moto's hardware quality.

They have to make insane amounts of money and so does VZ, or AT&T or ??? don't ever think that will happen again. I know I'm being pessimistic, but I do have hope. Just doubt it will happen. Just like I would love to see a re-birth of the american auto industry with a real American Supercar made by entirely in America. IE like the olden days of Dusenberg and Pierce Arrow, competing with Rolls Royce and Bentley (long before they were owned by VW).

But I digress, greatly.

1. 3D screen
2. Blinding screen flash (makes it easy to disappear from awkward situations)
3. Taser
4. Flask Accessory
5. Wild Monkey Locator

How about remote Trunk Monkey activation?

I'm actually way more interested in the software aspect than hardware upgrades. I'd like to see a vanilla Android device with 2.3.

Don't care about the front facing camera.

Don't want SAMOLED unless they properly calibrate it so it doesn't have the ridiculous saturation levels of all the Galaxy S phones and doesn't look grainy to me like all the Pentile matrix phones do.

Don't want a bigger LCD, 4.3" is as big as I'll carry.

I want better software, world-phone capable (i.e. CDMA + GSM), and to keep improving battery life. I'd also like a better camera, I can't entirely tell if it's the software or the hardware but it's definitely not up to the iPhone 4's camera.

I agree with some of this too.

I would love to see better (more streamlined) UI software stock, but it won't happen becasue they have to compete with the hey this iwhatever does everything out of the box with all this added software. Its a marketing war, hell you can't buy a computer with nothing but a clean OS install on it either. Its not marketable except to a few thousand of us crazy people that want to do it ourselves.

I would like to see better processor(s) and graphics to rev up. SO dual core 1.5s maybe dual core doesn't seem all that necessary but whatever.

Bigger battery to begin with is probably going to happen anyway.
next notch in screen resolution would be nice.
Go back to mini USB instead of micro (course now I have all the cables so no matter)
better use of the multi-color LED from stock, course there are now apps for that. :D
Huge Plus one on the better over all browser experience with full desktop capability. I doubt we will ever see silverlight (MS being who they are) but an Silverlight emmulator so netflix will work would be awesome. NOW. Please.

Folding flowing matrix LED backlit LCD screen that allows folding the 4.3 HD screen out to a 6.8 (give or take a bit) HD screen when needed would make all tablets die in a fire.

LTE specs allow for it to be a worldphone, so if that doesn't get clipped to bad that would be nice.

Built in stand? maybe with one of those projected lazer keyboards that used to be available for Palm Pilots.

Upvote 0
Is there any reason to believe that when a 64gb card comes out it won't work? I don't see them limiting the card size limit just because they can. If there is a limit right now it should just take an os update to raise the limit.

Has anyone here filled a 32 gig card?

GULP... I only have half of my 16 gig card filled and I feel like I"ve gone crazy with the apps/backups.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones