• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X2....What?! Why?!

binary do we know yet or not if the bionic can switch between 4g and 3g? cause i havent seen it yet, im thinkin it can, and what im saying is why couldnt they stick with a dual core for it? i should have reworded my statement a little better about it failing, in my terms its not that much of an improvement, sure its got a slight speed increase. you wont ever notice it.

what im saying is if they were going to do this, give it a dual core, to make it the flagship 3g device of verizon, its locked up already, so who in the rooting community is going to spend money on this device? maybe the ones who want an X but it should at least get a better overhaul than what it has

i just do not see this thing being bought that much, if anyone looks at it and wonders, these 2 phones look the exact same... yet this was in $50 cheaper and this is $50 more expensive, this one has a dedicated camera button, this one doesnt
i just dont see how you think that the phone is still going to pull in as many as the original X did. i can tell you my gf would love to have the X she takes tons of pictures, and she loves how mine takes pictures with that big red button, cause it makes it easier for her, do you think she will buy the x2 that doesnt have that dedicated button? i dont think she would but maybe im wrong.

Upvote 0
Aside from the ram there really is no improvement. I mean I am already oveclocked to 1.2 ghz, run an awesome rom, and have it customized to my liking. Why would I spend more money on 128 more megs of ram. Again this only my opinion....
Man this is a tuff crowd. :rolleyes:
No one is asking you to spend your money on anything. Ever consider that there are still millions of other people who don't have smartphones and a 1yo product might not be as appealing as a new released one.

People, this is not a product that anyone is trying to get you to upgrade. This is purely about refining an already successful and solid product. Period. There's no magic, no backdoor deals, no underhanded contract with the devil. Just a refresh. Droid got the same refresh as the Droid 2. Just put some polish on an already popular and good product.

I completely understand the lack of FFC and modest spec bump. If you asked me a while ago what a Droid X2 would look like I probably would have nailed it. No screen resolution enhancements, no camera changes, no drastic changes. (I'd bet it will release with Gingerbread, and the original X's will get that update too). Only thing I'm surprised about is the lack of camera button which tells me they actively changed the design due to warranty or reliability issues.

But I mean, people already claiming it's going to fail, what a stupid product (and what does that say since it's just a slightly better DX?). Some of the comments here are laughable.

Upvote 0
that and im just curious if people go to shop for a new phone, and some verizon rep says yes the bionic can run on 3g but once 4g comes into your neighborhood it will run on that as well, and then they say what about the X2? well its slower than the bionic, not by much, but it will not be able to use the 4g capabilities

no one can predict when they will get 4G, could be soon, may not be, i love my X and if the x2 was unlocked bootloader, i may possibly jump to it and shoot myself in the foot for the fail comment, i just do not see the phone being that popular in my honest opinion, its just going to be outshined by the Bolt, and the Bionic, and god knows possibly the incredible S but who knows, i could be very well wrong.

Upvote 0
No one is asking you to spend your money on anything. Ever consider that there are still millions of other people who don't have smartphones and a 1yo product might not be as appealing as a new released one.

People, this is not a product that anyone is trying to get you to upgrade. This is purely about refining an already successful and solid product. Period. There's no magic, no backdoor deals, no underhanded contract with the devil. Just a refresh. Droid got the same refresh as the Droid 2. Just put some polish on an already popular and good product.

I completely understand the lack of FFC and modest spec bump. If you asked me a while ago what a Droid X2 would look like I probably would have nailed it. No screen resolution enhancements, no camera changes, no drastic changes. (I'd bet it will release with Gingerbread, and the original X's will get that update too). Only thing I'm surprised about is the lack of camera button which tells me they actively changed the design due to warranty or reliability issues.

But I mean, people already claiming it's going to fail, what a stupid product (and what does that say since it's just a slightly better DX?). Some of the comments here are laughable.

maybe this new x2 fixes the random reboots the x suffers from???

Upvote 0
I think this is a good idea. Not everyone is going to want 4G, or even have it available, so giving the DX a refresh update to keep it more up to date while letting the new dual-core LTE phones take over the flagship crown keeps everything fitting into their own categories without stepping on each others toes. Not every phone can be the flagship, and the current flagship doesn't have to always be the flagship.

Upvote 0
maybe this new x2 fixes the random reboots the x suffers from???

I ran my phone a month stock, since I have ran stock with a theme, Apex and liberty mainly but I have flashed other roms that I only used for a day because I didn't like them and the only random reboot I had was when I overclocked to 1.45 ghz on ApeX. Guess I'm lucky. I've had to manually reboot about 3 times, twice using maps with ApeX and once using liberty

Upvote 0

i never said the phone will fail, and i never said that it is a stupid product. im just saying its not too appealing to me PERSONALLY. i probably wont have LTE in my area for a while, so when it would come time for a new 3g phone (if i am still looking for one), the droid x2 would not be my choice of a phone due to it being so similar to the one i already have. thats all im saying...

Upvote 0
I think this is a good idea. Not everyone is going to want 4G, or even have it available, so giving the DX a refresh update to keep it more up to date while letting the new dual-core LTE phones take over the flagship crown keeps everything fitting into their own categories without stepping on each others toes. Not every phone can be the flagship, and the current flagship doesn't have to always be the flagship.

Exactly, we don't know pricing on 4g but I'm sure it'll be more expensive and there's a good chance we'll lose "unlimited data" and not everyone is going to want to pay more, or lose their unlimited package.

Upvote 0
It looks like this phone is aimed squarely at guys like me who are interested in keeping on a 3g plan for as long as possible (since I'm on $9.99 unlimited data... I expect that will go up substantially once I get a 4g device). The Bionic looks to take over the flagship position, that doesn't mean they should just axe the DX altogether. There is plenty of room for devices like this in the line-up. Everything being released doesn't have to be LTE equipped with dual core processing and all that jazz. Not everyone is wanting the same thing out of a phone. Why would Motorola want two devices to compete with each other anyway?

This is where Android trumps Apple IMO. When the iPhone 5 is released it will either be 3g or 4g, there won't be a choice for iPhone buyers. If they are 3g and the buyer wants a 4g device, tough beans. If it's 4g and the customer wants a 3g device, tough beans. While I won't be purchasing the DX2 for personal reasons (locked bootloader, and my DX is close enough anyway), I still recognize this as a smart move by Motorola.

More choices is a good thing.

Upvote 0
If you sign a two year contract in the next 3 months and your phones doesn't have a FFC, dual core, 4G, 8MP+, 4" or larger screen, then you are just not doing it right man.

Not everyone cares about ffc (especially on 4g if we lose unlimited data), some people want to stay on 3g for the price(and some won't have 4g for 2 years or longer) but I agree must be a 4" or larger screen.

Upvote 0
that and im just curious if people go to shop for a new phone, and some verizon rep says yes the bionic can run on 3g but once 4g comes into your neighborhood it will run on that as well, and then they say what about the X2? well its slower than the bionic, not by much, but it will not be able to use the 4g capabilities

no one can predict when they will get 4G, could be soon, may not be, i love my X and if the x2 was unlocked bootloader, i may possibly jump to it and shoot myself in the foot for the fail comment, i just do not see the phone being that popular in my honest opinion, its just going to be outshined by the Bolt, and the Bionic, and god knows possibly the incredible S but who knows, i could be very well wrong.

You are making the assumption that the X2, being a revision, should carry the same status at launch. I highly doubt that Verizon or Motorola would consider this refresh a flagship device. Assuming this gets launched during the same time frame as the Bionic, there is no way anyone with half a brain would sell it for the same price.

You are also assuming that everyone who wants a smart phone is willing to spend $250 with a contract. If this is sold at $100 they will be capturing a market who might otherwise just go for a fancy feature phone or with some other manufacture.

Upvote 0
the only reason I would ever end up with a DX2 is if they keep sending me garbage replacements. I've gotten two in the past two weeks that were Certified Pre owned and both of them have had screen issues. The charging port on my original X (July 15) has been giving me issues for awhile now and if they can't send me a quality replacement, I might just ask for the DX2 to see if its a big improvement, which I doubt.

the only issue I'm seeing is that since it's got different hardware inside, I won't be able to run DX roms. But i'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it

Upvote 0
for everyone that is bummed about the whole new LTE support on the X2, it's because everyone seems to be forgetting that voice over LTE is not going to be turned on until 2012 and there are only a handful of places that will have LTE data over the next year. what's the point of spending the extra money on a LTE phone if you don't have LTE services?

Upvote 0
None of the new phones coming out have everything I want them to have to be a worthwhile upgrade over the X. The Bionic doesn't have noise canceling phone calls and the 4G is only for data, not voice. The X2 doesn't have 4G support at all. The successor to my X needs to be able to do every single thing my X does, but better, and then do more things(next phone has to have LTE support). Until a phone like that comes out I won't be getting a new one; the X is just too good.

Upvote 0
the only thing interesting about this phone is the tegra 2. i cant wait to see how it benches. it might be the phone that finally stomps the iphone's gpu capaabilities in the face (dont get me wrong, the galaxy s phones, and the MT4G/ HTC G2 all have awesome GPU's that rival that)

It's not Tegra 2.

It's a 1.2 ghz single core processor, probably the same OMAP that's in there now just clocked higher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones