• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

kraze0g

Android Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
okay i know im going to get a lot of biased replies (no matter what forum i post under) but i want to get an honest opinion from you moto droid users. i have an eris but thinking about exchanging for the droid... heres a few questions for you guys..

1. do u need to use the slideout keyboard? i like to use the touch screen keyboard much more on my phones but i hear two different sides -- some say the eris is way better with typing on screen, while others say that the droid is equal or better because of the larger screen - what do you guys say?

2. longevity - will the moto droid outlast the eris in terms of technology and updates that will outdo the eris' getting the OS update?

3. faults - does the droid not work with flash as eris does? are there as many bugs? do you guys think the unit feels cheap in a way?

4. positives - does the droid offer an experience more similar to the iphone than the eris? (ive heard both sides to this argument)

basically, does the moto droid do all that the eris does but better? will i get used to the square look of it (not a big fan of that while the eris looks much more slick)

thanks for any info, i need to make a decision soon and any information would be much appreciated. sorry for the long post btw, im just looking for answers.

I like the slideout keyboard. I don't *need* to use it but I do. I especially like it when texting because I have the whole screen for my reply as well as being able to see what I am replying to. If I use the onscreen keyboard, I only get to see my reply because the keyboard takes up half the screen.

I don't know the answer to #2

The Droid does not have adobe flash if that's what you mean. It is supposed to be getting it but it's up to adobe to make it available. The phone feels very solid, heavy and not cheap at all.

I've never owned an iPhone but I have had to use one to set up an email account. I did not like it at all compared to the Droid but like you said, I am biased because the Droid is what I am used to.

I have *heard* that the Droid battery is better than Eris but I have no basis for comparison. That's all I've got.

Upvote 0
There are some that have already ported 2.1 to the Droid and everything that I've read says that the update is definitely coming (without having to port it over). I don't know about the Eris getting it but I do know that Sprint's Hero is getting it so I would guess that the Eris will as well.

Upvote 0
I've had virtually none of the problems listed on the boards and have overall been very happy with the Droid. Have no exprience with Eris but I do have an ITouch and it is a great gaming platform. Droid is not for the casual user and is, in my opinion, targeted at the power user who has a tolerence of some pain. It is a work in progress. Items such as the issues with bluetooth, no easy copy/paste and not being able to transfer a map created in Google Maps to the Navigation system to me are serious oversights but will be corrected. I can live with them. Rarely use the hard keyboard but it works when needed. I've come from really old style PDAs with 16K memory, palms, compaqs and lastly the XV6800. For now, having a blast with the phone, knowing that there is tremendous potential and easily upated.

Regards.... Steve

Upvote 0
I think one reason you're having such a difficult time deciding is because you are asking for opinions. Each of us views each of your questions differently, except Flash implementation which should be out next month or so according to rumor.

1. Even if you get the Droid, you do not have to use the hardware keyboard. Try it out in the store and see if you like the keyboards.

2. Outlast? Don't play football with your phone and either will last longer than you will want to use it.

3. Already wrote about Flash. Bugs are mostly in the apps (from my experience). I do not believe the Droid feels cheap, but in today's standards a Yugo probably would not feel cheap.

4. You will find people on this board that came from an iPhone that love their Droids more, and you will find old posts of individuals that tried the Droid and decided the iPhone was for them. I personally do not want an iPhone and do not compare my phone to the iPhone. If an iPhone is what your looking for, get an iPhone. If that is not feasible, get either a Droid or keep your Eris, but do not complain that it isn't and iPhone.

Looks...I would think you would get used to it. Think of someone your not attracted to initially, then after you get to know them you think they are beautiful. Looks can grow on you...unless your too shallow.

Upvote 0
Answers (opinions) are in RED.

1. do u need to use the slideout keyboard? i like to use the touch screen keyboard much more on my phones but i hear two different sides -- some say the eris is way better with typing on screen, while others say that the droid is equal or better because of the larger screen - what do you guys say? I like the "option" of using any one of the three keyboards that the DROID offers to me. I really like the TalkToMe Keyboard app. It rocks! And it works on all 3.

2. longevity - will the moto droid outlast the eris in terms of technology and updates that will outdo the eris' getting the OS update? All that I know is that the DROID came out with Android 2.0, while the Eris was on 1.5 (1.6?). That concerned me a little. Surely the DROID will receive 2.1 ... but will the Eris? Who knows?

3. faults - does the droid not work with flash as eris does? are there as many bugs? do you guys think the unit feels cheap in a way? No Flash support currently. When Adobe releases it, we'll have it. :( I don't feel that the DROID is very buggy at all. In fact, I'd consider it pretty darn rock solid. And I also would NOT consider it "cheap-feeling" in any way.

4. positives - does the droid offer an experience more similar to the iphone than the eris? (ive heard both sides to this argument) Can't comment. I have very limited experience with the iPhone or the Eris.

basically, does the moto droid do all that the eris does but better? will i get used to the square look of it (not a big fan of that while the eris looks much more slick) I guess that's subjective. I find the roundness of the Eris and iPhone makes them look cheaper, and more like a Little Tykes play toy. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones