• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DroidMod-The Negative Effects

Hey, Droidmod is fine with me...nice quick and easy...but it's not a weather app you're installing. How many times have you answered questions from people saying "I used Droidmod now what" or something like that? The problem isn't the app itself. I don't like all the command line stuff either but it's the fallout from the super duper easy updater that is of concern. People are rooting that wouldn't normally and that's fine...actually, that's great! If the updater came with a tutorial on recovery, flashing roms, and going over some common problems people encounter...that would help!

Do you realize that if you don't put a newly downloaded rom in Nandroid format in the right folder...it won't show up? A zip file in the nandroid folder on the sd card will show up in recovery but gives you an error message? These are the types of things you learn when you have a better understanding of what you're doing cause the updater does it all for you. That would be fine but people get tired of the droidmod 1.0 rom and try to load a different one...troubles begin and there is usually no base knowledge to fall back on...so the question gets asked here because some (a lot) of people don't use the search function in the first place.

As for the search option...it's not really an agree or disagree situation. The mods on this forum have put out guidelines about throwing people into search when they ask a question that has been answered previously...so people are conscious of that. If we know the answer, we should answer the question...not pawn them off of the search function and I think this forum is pretty good about that.

I agree with most of what you say. Really thought if people want the DMupdater is not on the Market so they have to go to there site. There are how too's there and a IRC chat where you can speak to a mod in real time. I think thats top notch in the help area. I do see the Uber amount of post about Rooting and I feel that everyone should help but if its a simple answer that could be helped with a Search then thats alright too. Really everyone on here should be familiar with search because it really is so useful.

Upvote 0
I agree with most of what you say. Really thought if people want the DMupdater is not on the Market so they have to go to there site. There are how too's there and a IRC chat where you can speak to a mod in real time. I think thats top notch in the help area. I do see the Uber amount of post about Rooting and I feel that everyone should help but if its a simple answer that could be helped with a Search then thats alright too. Really everyone on here should be familiar with search because it really is so useful.

Yeah, the people at sholes now droidmod have a pretty good reputation for their roms...I'm not sure about support...I have never experienced it...and I'm a little surprised you can talk with someone in real time...that's nice.

I wish that more people used the search feature as well, but that's just the way it is. Honestly, it would usually be more work to explain why they need to do a search than to help them yourself. I hate giving someone that, "he can't help me either" feeling. I don't mind helping and I don't think most other's on here mind either...it is just constant and the questions are repetitive.

Upvote 0
amen (I'm still in those wonderful classes) this also makes me less inclined to read the page-long rants by all the posters in here..

Yet you still feel inclined to come into the thread and add your 2 cents on a topic that you really have no personal involvement in...thanks!

"Manual", the guys that created the original update.zip file must get a kick out of all of you "manually" gaining root access of your phones.

Obviously you are missing the point of this thread as well...Reading what you want to read. I don't have the knowledge of the people who make metamorph themes let alone the people that exploited the 2.0.1 update to give us all root access. This thread is about people having enough knowledge to not get stuck in situations like being stuck in an endless boot cycle without understanding how to fix it. Basic recovery knowledge, basic flashing knowledge...how is this not getting through???

Upvote 0
I'm a noob and I take no offence whatsoever by what the OP has posted here. If anything I agree that people like me should learn when and why we should root.

I'm sitting here right now looking at custom ROMS and to be honest I'm a little put off by them. One I just finished watching looks very sluggish and I think I'd rather just stick with my stock ROM.

But I know that by rooting, I can change things like another person mentioned here such as clocks, notification bar/leds etc. Now those are the things I'm more in to.

Who knows, I might discover a ROM that runs very smooth and looks nice and then I will want it.

I do want to root and now browsing the forum on how to do it etc.

Regards.

Upvote 0
There's really only one way (IMO) to settle this argument so that both sides are happy.

Problem: People who root the lazy way flood the forums with frequently asked questions.

Solution: Don't answer them.

Someone with the requisite knowledge write up a FAQ sticky that will either answer the most common questions or provide links to other resources that answer the questions in great detail.

Now people with entitlement issues can go to the FAQ they're "entitled to" for their help and nobody has to deal with the constant stream of "wah wah wah i hate u cuz ur smrt n im not n u think ur bettr than me cuz ur smrt but guess wut ur not now fix my bricked phone it cant root"

and wait for it...

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/45764-guide-s-everything-root-related.html

IT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE.

Reactions: Dead Cell
Upvote 0
What I don't get is why the hell people get so bothered about "noobs" using the 1 touch rooting apps. If you can't stand "helping" these people when they run into problems.. don't. As I've stated in a previous post.. I don't believe anyone is under any obligation to answer anything. They complain about it "clogging" the forum.. yet their complaint threads just do the exact same thing.

People want easy, why should they have to type the same commands over and over, linked to their PC, when an app on their phone does the same thing.. anywhere. You people who do it "old-school" aren't doing anything different, just taking longer to do it. It's not like you came up with some new method, you just copied guides posted on a webpage... aka "the slow method".

If someone wants to go the easy way without knowing what they're getting into, then bricking their phones, why should I care? It's their device, if they want to take the risk, the end result is all their fault. Warnings are plastered all over the place.. especially in almost every step of DMUpdater. It's not like it's that complicated either way to begin with.

Upvote 0
Obviously you are missing the point of this thread as well...Reading what you want to read. I don't have the knowledge of the people who make metamorph themes let alone the people that exploited the 2.0.1 update to give us all root access. This thread is about people having enough knowledge to not get stuck in situations like being stuck in an endless boot cycle without understanding how to fix it. Basic recovery knowledge, basic flashing knowledge...how is this not getting through???

How am I missing the point? If a tool is available, why should people not use it. As much as i love using the command line to move files within my windows system (sarcasm), i usually use windows explorer because it saves time and is easier. And that is what a lot noobs are doing, using a tool that's designed for a specific purpose. The problem is the tool isn't too refined yet, and is in basically its alpha phase. Actually the feedback from the users will benefit users in later revs. Hell I'm a noob myself, I've had my Droid for 4 months, I just happen to have a slight background in QNX, which is sort of like unix, if I was born 10 years later, I'd probably be really screwed.

So basically what I'm saying is I'm tired of people whining on forums, it's such a common thing on techno dweeby sites because smarty pants always have such attitudes. Basically people spending too much time being bitheads and not meeting girls, breahting fresh air, snowboarding, skiing, surfing, etc. etc. etc.

Upvote 0
How am I missing the point? If a tool is available, why should people not use it. As much as i love using the command line to move files within my windows system (sarcasm), i usually use windows explorer because it saves time and is easier. And that is what a lot noobs are doing, using a tool that's designed for a specific purpose. The problem is the tool isn't too refined yet, and is in basically its alpha phase. Actually the feedback from the users will benefit users in later revs. Hell I'm a noob myself, I've had my Droid for 4 months, I just happen to have a slight background in QNX, which is sort of like unix, if I was born 10 years later, I'd probably be really screwed.

So basically what I'm saying is I'm tired of people whining on forums, it's such a common thing on techno dweeby sites because smarty pants always have such attitudes. Basically people spending too much time being bitheads and not meeting girls, breahting fresh air, snowboarding, skiing, surfing, etc. etc. etc.

The reasons you're missing the point is that we're not whining about the tool, and if you read it carefully, we're trying to figure out the best way to anticipate all the new users who come in and use the tool without having a clue what is going on. No matter how foolproof you make the tool, someone out there will figure out a way to muck it up. You, and everyone else that keeps saying that we're complaining, are not reading enough / not reading carefully enough to realize that we are in fact not complaining.

I don't know what your other experiences have been, but it seems that you have beef with techno-geeks that complain about inexperienced users. Guess what? We're not them. Look at my friggin post count alone (in less than 4 months, tyvm), and look at all the time I spend in here helping folks out, answering questions, and whatnot. And I am just one of hundreds on here doing the same thing.

To me, it sounds like you just want to stir up trouble - but we want a good solution to the problem before it occurs.

I used the SM/DM Updater to help myself learn the ways of rooting.. it helped me more then it hurt me... so I suppose it has its pros and cons for everyone

It is not a matter of the tool itself having pros and cons. If you read the first post carefully, the tool itself is not the problem - it is some users
lack of patience / time that causes them to grab the easy tool and use it, and then sit there scratching their heads thinking "OK, so now what?" or "zOMG WTF jes happened, my phone won't boot its bricked HHHHEEEEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!"

The tool is a great shortcut to get things on your phone that you need - but it should not be a complete and total replacement for the learning about what root is and what it can allow you to do and what you should do in case of failure.

The tool is exactly that - a tool. It is not the end all, be all, in rooting.

If every user approached rooting their phone as you did, this thread would not exist.

Upvote 0
I do see most members here crapping on DroidMod (or the users of it) as pretty arrogant and elitist when it comes to advanced modding.

Joe, you get all those questions because you're the self appointed technical genius of this forum. But you're getting them in PMs because you don't answer basics on the forum. And they're most likely coming from people that aren't trying to learn "just enough, they're trying to learn it all. Everybody knows you wouldn't waste your time with them if it were any other way.

I don't have a spare 300 bucks kicking around to replace my phone at the moment, so I'm just going to let all you yahoos & droid cowboys **** with your phones & take chances bricking them into pretty paper weights so long as you all feel so comfortable, and apparently have all that time on your hands.
I PAID the Sholes team to "do" my phone for me. It was a friggin dream come true! I can't count how many times I thought to myself, "-If only I could just pay someone who knows WTF they're doing to customize my Droid so I don't brick it..."
Am I stupid? Am I lazy? Ask me anything about carburetor air flow dynamics or visit my website and decide for yourself. I can't count how many of my customers have told me they really wished they could have moddified their own Nikki carburetors on they're own, but even with all of my how-to guidance, it was just more reassuring to them to pay me to do it.
Droid modding his just isn't my specialty, that's all.

Grouping people into little forum pig-pens based upon their needs, wants or even desire not to learn a new trade is NOT an accurate or adequate dissection. It's every bit as sloppy as just letting everyone of every level float around asking redundant questions.
Bitching about people choosing not to learn on their own is just as silly as answering any of their posts in the first place and then just typing "Do a search! Everything anyone knows is already at your lazy-ass finger tips, God damnit!".
And to you guys suggesting anyone is lazy based on anything at all, wtf do you call those rooting & ROM installation guides? Are these tools to teach? **** no! They're every bit as much an easy way out as DroidMod.

This all could be cleared up on this forum so damned easily, just as I suggested before; Simply modify the membership permissions panel and make it so new members can't start new threads until they've reached 50 or 100 posts. This would solve all your bitch fests instantly! Trolls and post-whores would be seen easily & quickly enough and get banned, and people sincerely looking for answers would HAVE to search, because they would need to find an appropriate thread to post their questions in. Often, they will run across the answer, and probably then ask a more advanced question. Threads would then get "smarter" as they grow. Progress. (ZOMG!)
So friggin simple!
Then all these elite super modder pissing contests can stop, and you could all go back to getting the respect you deserve.

Upvote 0
Guys, just wanted to add my perspective. I did it the somewhat old school way, rooted just fine and did a nandroid backup just fine without DMupdater. But when I tried to install Bugless Beast, for some reason I had a problem (black screen after the Droid eye) and had to quickly scramble to restore. I tried a few times and obviously I was doing something wrong in installing the new ROM. I didn't panic I just tried to search for solutions to my problems but I couldn't find out exactly what I was doing wrong. So I eventually succumbed to using DMupdater for the last step and yes, it was very easy. I am going to go back and try some new ROMs in the coming days but at least the updater got me fixed up and over the hurdle so I could avoid further frustration right then. I understand the problem of too many noob questions but at least it's a useful tool for certain segments.

And generally thanks to the community for all of the comments and helpful members.

Upvote 0
@Psychokitty - big +1

Some of these dorm-room 1000 plus post whores who rooted the phone mommy paid for need to get a life. Seriously, get outside and get some sun.

DroidMod installs SPRecovery, does a Nandroid backup and installs all the goodies like wifi tether, multitouch browser, etc. And if the phone bricks, we now have a way to bring it back with an .sbf file. I think we'll see less questions and people will have less problems with apps like DroidMod than with people trying to figure out a command line interface.

Reactions: squaresailor
Upvote 0
Recently, I have seen TONS of posts with people that say just rooted what should I do next? All these people have rooted with DroidMod and now they are "stuck" because they pretty much avoided learning about the ways of Rooting and installing ROM's that are NOT included in DroidMod. Now I am not bashing people that need help with it, just saying that DroidMod doesn't really help people, it just makes people skip over the essential part of Rooting, understanding what you can do with the ability to have superuser access...now on the other side of things...maybe we should have another sub-forum inside All Things Root...Beginner and Advanced so the forum can seperate Beginner Q's from Advanced...again I really hope that I am not rude to some new "root" members just saying that sometimes taking the easy path in life will haunt you...so unless your comfortable for being "confused" about installing ROMS, I would reccommend rooting manually just to get a "feel" for the rooting experience and what you can get from it....Again please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be mean to anyone just stating my thoughts and opinions.

Above is the original post, the poster suggests that "DroidMod doesn't really help people". I disagree with this statement. I would argue that in the coming months, there will be many more options like DroidMod.

To person #1 rooting, applying ROM's, benchmarking, tinkering, tinkering and more tinkering, is where the true enjoyment lies. To person #2 just getting their phone so they can tether, or apply custom themes, or warm their pocket (yes overclocking has another bonus) is the main goal.

What I see everyday, is person #1 telling person #2 they need to think more like them.

I'm not trying to cause problems, I really don't care if someone bricks their phone. I'll pay if forward when I can help. I'm surrounded by techno dweebs everyday, and look at one in the mirror every morning. In many cases people have never used forums like this before, give'm a break and have a little patience. And if you get tired of answering the same question, don't respond.

Upvote 0
Strongly agree. If someone rooted with DMupdater and installed DroidMod 1.0 and then posts, "what now," I'd have to say, "What more do you want?" They would have all the goodies associated with having a rooted phone plus all the tools at their disposal to try other ROMS. They would just need a little guidance on the difference between using update.zip vs. Nandroid, what wiping does, how to install a custom theme, etc. I personally think the developers at Sholes/DroidMod did an enormous service to the community to get the average person where he or she wants to be.

Upvote 0
I do see most members here crapping on DroidMod (or the users of it) as pretty arrogant and elitist when it comes to advanced modding.

Joe, you get all those questions because you're the self appointed technical genius of this forum. But you're getting them in PMs because you don't answer basics on the forum. And they're most likely coming from people that aren't trying to learn "just enough, they're trying to learn it all. Everybody knows you wouldn't waste your time with them if it were any other way.

I don't have a spare 300 bucks kicking around to replace my phone at the moment, so I'm just going to let all you yahoos & droid cowboys **** with your phones & take chances bricking them into pretty paper weights so long as you all feel so comfortable, and apparently have all that time on your hands.
I PAID the Sholes team to "do" my phone for me. It was a friggin dream come true! I can't count how many times I thought to myself, "-If only I could just pay someone who knows WTF they're doing to customize my Droid so I don't brick it..."
Am I stupid? Am I lazy? Ask me anything about carburetor air flow dynamics or visit my website and decide for yourself. I can't count how many of my customers have told me they really wished they could have moddified their own Nikki carburetors on they're own, but even with all of my how-to guidance, it was just more reassuring to them to pay me to do it.

Grouping people into little forum pig-pens based upon their needs, wants or even desire not to learn a new trade is NOT an accurate or adequate dissection. It's every bit as sloppy as just letting everyone of every level float around asking redundant questions.
Bitching about people choosing not to learn on their own is just as silly as answering any of their posts in the first place and then just typing "Do a search! Everything anyone knows is already at your lazy-ass finger tips, God damnit!".
And to you guys suggesting anyone is lazy based on anything at all, wtf do you call those rooting & ROM installation guides? Are these tools to teach? **** no! They're every bit as much an easy way out as DroidMod.

This all could be cleared up on this forum so damned easily, just as I suggested before; Simply modify the membership permissions panel and make it so new members can't start new threads until they've reached 50 or 100 posts. This would solve all your bitch fests instantly! Trolls and post-whores would be seen easily & quickly enough and get banned, and people sincerely looking for answers would HAVE to search, because they would need to find an appropriate thread to post their questions in. Often, they will run across the answer, and probably then ask a more advanced question. Threads would then get "smarter" as they grow. Progress. (ZOMG!)
So friggin simple!
Then all these elite super modder pissing contests can stop, and you could all go back to getting the respect you deserve.

I agree with alot of this except with the tread permissions. All they would do then is High Jack other threads. Seen it a bunch on other Forums.

Upvote 0

So friggin simple!

If you continue to believe this is a bitch fest, that

Upvote 0
Droid Mod is like a math problem.
For example let's say you have math H.w. but you don't want to do it and instead you copy the answers of your friend, thus escaping you from learning the materials. Now when their is a test and let's say one of the homework problems was on it, you are now in deep trouble because you don't know how to answer it...so you panic and freak out and end up doing poorly on the test. Same thing with DroidMod, it's like getting answers from a "friend" escaping you from learning the materials and that is O.K. until a problem occurs ala the test, you panic and brick/mess up your phone. Now this is a little radical view of it but still that's essentialy what it is and all those people saying Idc how I got to root as long as I have it, thats pretty much saying I don't care how I got the answer as long as I got it right(some how) then I don't want to learn how to answer it. Again I am not an "expert" in this field at all but just giving advice to some people to think about what you are doing in a realistic matter....

Upvote 0
John, I'm pretty sure this thread does qualify as a "bitchfest".
Secondly, if you can't handle a little open, candid conversation, then you really should avoid participating in future bitchfests.
Third, disagreement of oipinion is fine (and does not constitute bitchfesting, btw), but the only thing factual about opinions is the context in which they were given. So, that said, I feel I must reiterate what I meant regarding forum sections & pigpens;
I don't think there's anything wrong with dividing the forum into seperate sections based on TOPIC.
-How you missed my point, I can't figure, unless you need to take off your rose tinted glasses and re-read my post?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones