• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid's search is a little.....lacking

superdesi

Android Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009
I tried to search for a phone number the other day in my contacts only to find that it didnt come up!! I had to search for the contacts name in order to get to them. I also noticed that the search doesnt search my calendar appts, my emails, my notes from 3banana, etc etc.

I mean since we're talking about Google here, should we be able to search for EVERYTHING on our phone? or at least have more options as to what we can search for and what we choose not to?

Yep, I found this kind of strange when I got the phone. I don't really use the calendar for much, and honestly I'd prefer that it did not search my e-mail since I have so much of it, but the phone number thing confused me. Then I realized that I really don't have to search for numbers in my contact list too often because I don't really know any of them :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I noticed that in the search settings, both AK notepad and Slacker are now listed as items that can be searched after I installed those apps. Maybe ask the 3dbana developer if they can have the app add itself to the list when it installs?

Yes, since Android 1.6 the application providers need to 'enable' search by adding certain known interfaces to their app that allows the built-in Android search app to search their data. The fact the standard calendar app doesn't do this is a bit poor.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it sure seems that both the calendar and gmail should at least on the search list, for sure.

I think the reason Gmail isn't searchable via quick search is because very little is stored on the device, most of it is on the server. I guess the calendar is the same.

Maybe performance was an issue (the 'quick' search ended up slow :)), but it would be nice to have an option when you do a search so you could choose to search ALL data, even offline and take the time/network hit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones