• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DroidX battery

After reading all the posts about the EVO's battery and applying all the tricks that I learned in this wonderful forum, I can say that my battery lasts the whole day and more with moderate use. The DroidX is about to be out in a few days. I was reading in different places that the DroidX battery would be better than the EVOs one. But look at this. Today I was reading the tech section of Google News and found this review about the Droid.

Quote: "Motorola claims 480 minutes of usage time and 220 hours of standby time; I have no idea where they got those very optimistic numbers. As with the HTC Evo, it's tough to get the Droid X through an entire day of usage without recharging the battery. You'll be OK for a few phone calls, but you could easily drain the battery in several hours if you check e-mail frequently. Using GPS or Wi-Fi kills the battery even faster.
One helpful feature is a "battery saver mode," which turns off wireless data connections after 30 minutes of inactivity."

So the mighty DroidX will have the same battery issue than the Evo. If you have such a big screen, all the radios the EVO has and all that power, of course the battery won't last long with heavy use. I'm sure that even the Samsung Epic will have the same battery issue when it comes out. :)

480 minutes of usage time
That's only 8 hours. Very possible...
220 hours of standby time
Just over 9 days. They turn off every radio and connection and have no apps other than the system idling to get those figures. Sure it's possible, just not feasible. No one buys a phone just to turn off every feature and lay it around for 9 days...

Upvote 0
That's only 8 hours. Very possible...

Just over 9 days. They turn off every radio and connection and have no apps other than the system idling to get those figures. Sure it's possible, just not feasible. No one buys a phone just to turn off every feature and lay it around for 9 days...

being that my hero has been on for 2 days and its dropped 2% with every radio off(airplane mode on, no cell service on it). i would think 9 days is doable with good coverage(3g off of course), but i agree. noone would ever see those numbers because we use our phones. but itll still do 9 days

5+ days of standby on HTC EVO with Seidio 1750mAh battery

5 days with wifi and background data on with cell radio on

if i didnt use my phone id test standby with cell on but no data. but im sure itll do a week and 1/2. youd be surprised how little battery these phones use in standby. even with cell on. what drains is the screen and cpu and data

Edit: i know thats for 1750mah battery but from what ive heard its not much better, if any, then the stock battery

Upvote 0
Some of these reviewers dont understand the differences between a 45nm chip vs. a 65nm chip.

the EVO and the X both being a big phone, they both use LCD screens. If doing the exact same things on both phones, the X has an advantage when it comes to the battery: 45nm chip.

The lower that number gets, the less power it draws from its power source. The less heat the cpu puts out too. An easy way to understand how this works:

Xbox 360 hardware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the smaller that nm number got, the Watts in the power supply got smaller? It doesnt have to use the same amount of Watts older boards had to to power the system....thats cuz when that nm number gets smaller its drawing less power from its power source.

The new Samsung phones use a 45nm chip too. With it being a smaller screen, it could have better battery life than the X. Plus it uses Amoled (Super this time) and I read that drains the battery less than LCD.

And these reviews:

Motorola DROID X MB810 Review - page5 (Phone Arena Reviews)

The 1540mAh battery included with the Motorola DROID X is rated to provide up to 8 hours of talk time or 9.5 days of standby time on a full charge. During our testing, we were able to get up to an amazing 9 hours and 30 minutes of talk time on a full charge, which completely blows away the Motorola DROID at 7hr 30min talk time (1400mAh battery)
HTC EVO 4G Review - page4 (Phone Arena Reviews)

Similarly to the Hero, the HTC EVO 4G uses a 1500mAh battery. However, instead of being rated at 4 hours of talk time, the battery on the EVO is rated 50% higher at six hours. We were a bit skeptical, especially with such a large display, but lo and behold we were able to achieve 18 minutes more than the rated time when we put our unit to the test. Most people are going to be using the EVO 4G for things other than talking though, and under heavy use we definitely had to charge our unit mid-day.

He explained to some of us how he tested talk time over at howardforums.com: he calls a number, and lets it stay connected til it dies. That sounds like a fair way to test talk time.

The stuff I bolded: almost identical battery sizes, yet rated talk times are lower for the EVO.

EVO: rated 6 hrs talk time - tested and got 6hrs 18 min
X: rated 8hrs talk time - tested and got 9 hrs 30 min

If the talk times are better for the X, pretty much the entire battery life is gonna be better for the X.

That EVO review was done back at the end of May. 2 big phones, both LCD screens. The difference? The X has a 45nm cpu vs. a 65nm one in the EVO. No matter how u try, no one can change the fact that these chips have different nm numbers.

Upvote 0
Some of these reviewers dont understand the differences between a 45nm chip vs. a 65nm chip.

the EVO and the X both being a big phone, they both use LCD screens. If doing the exact same things on both phones, the X has an advantage when it comes to the battery: 45nm chip.

The lower that number gets, the less power it draws from its power source. The less heat the cpu puts out too. An easy way to understand how this works:

Xbox 360 hardware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the smaller that nm number got, the Watts in the power supply got smaller? It doesnt have to use the same amount of Watts older boards had to to power the system....thats cuz when that nm number gets smaller its drawing less power from its power source.

The new Samsung phones use a 45nm chip too. With it being a smaller screen, it could have better battery life than the X. Plus it uses Amoled (Super this time) and I read that drains the battery less than LCD.

And these reviews:

Motorola DROID X MB810 Review - page5 (Phone Arena Reviews)

HTC EVO 4G Review - page4 (Phone Arena Reviews)

Similarly to the Hero, the HTC EVO 4G uses a 1500mAh battery. However, instead of being rated at 4 hours of talk time, the battery on the EVO is rated 50% higher at six hours. We were a bit skeptical, especially with such a large display, but lo and behold we were able to achieve 18 minutes more than the rated time when we put our unit to the test. Most people are going to be using the EVO 4G for things other than talking though, and under heavy use we definitely had to charge our unit mid-day.

He explained to some of us how he tested talk time over at howardforums.com: he calls a number, and lets it stay connected til it dies. That sounds like a fair way to test talk time.

The stuff I bolded: almost identical battery sizes, yet rated talk times are lower for the EVO.

EVO: rated 6 hrs talk time - tested and got 6hrs 18 min
X: rated 8hrs talk time - tested and got 9 hrs 30 min

If the talk times are better for the X, pretty much the entire battery life is gonna be better for the X.

That EVO review was done back at the end of May. 2 big phones, both LCD screens. The difference? The X has a 45nm cpu vs. a 65nm one in the EVO. No matter how u try, no one can change the fact that these chips have different nm numbers.

Yep all the reviews I have read have absolutely said the battery is a lot better on this phone than the EVO.

Upvote 0
I actually sense a troll post now after looking at the OP's other posts.

Not sure if I would say troll post yet, but I have seen him in other threads and he just post this exact same thing over and over again. I think maybe he is just misinformed about how the different processors work. But I could be wrong and he could be trying to troll us.

Upvote 0
I'm done after this :)
Similarly to the Hero, the HTC EVO 4G uses a 1500mAh battery. However, instead of being rated at 4 hours of talk time, the battery on the EVO is rated 50% higher at six hours
The Hero has a rated talk time of 4 hours. Well how can that be, when the EVO has the same size battery and has a rated talk time of 6 hours?!?!

The cpu in the Hero is 90nm.

As long as that nm number gets smaller, battery life will get better.

Upvote 0

Hope so, that's a 50% advantage for the X!

But do the talk-time tests keep the screen off? Seems display power does not have to track the phone radio.

I would think the GPU in the X should help with the battery too, if it can offload CPU tasks into hardware.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I can tell you the battery life is killing me. I barely can make the phone last 12hrs... I have every feature disabled, screen dimmed as much as possible and still by hr 12 the phone is dead after light use.

I pray somebody sells a larger aftermarket battery.

Huh? Can you explain that post a bit plz. Do you have a Droid X that you are using? Sounds more like the Incredible tbh...

Upvote 0
I can tell you the battery life is killing me. I barely can make the phone last 12hrs... I have every feature disabled, screen dimmed as much as possible and still by hr 12 the phone is dead after light use.

I pray somebody sells a larger aftermarket battery.

lol :) Strange, every reviewer has said excellent battery life!!

Upvote 0

lol :) Strange, every reviewer has said excellent battery life!!

I wish the reviewers would use some empirical, repeatable, and comparable test. There is way to much of the "lasted whole day" or "only lasted 10 hours" kind of statement. Way too many variables overlooked there.

When I had the EVO, in airplane mode, screen always on, running a clock/timer. I got ~19% per hour on 100% brightness, and ~9% per hour on 0% brightness.

Upvote 0
Do you people understand that when the evo was reviewed it got bad battery life because most reviewers kept the 4g radio on? That thing is a beast! I keep 3g, wifi, and gps on all day on my evo and i get well past 12hrs a charge.

Why do you think that? Lots of people have tested it, for weeks now.

Very imprecise, you're 12hours (and 12 hours is not great). Is the screen up 5 of those hours, or 3. 100% brightness or 50%. How good is the network all that time. Are you streaming or just idling? how much?

Can you try the test I mentioned: Airplane mode, no screen sleep, clock/timer. Charge to 100%. Kill/disable all possible background apps/widgets. Set brightness to 0% before going to sleep. See where it is when you wake up.

Upvote 0
Why do you think that? Lots of people have tested it, for weeks now.

Very imprecise, you're 12hours (and 12 hours is not great). Is the screen up 5 of those hours, or 3. 100% brightness or 50%. How good is the network all that time. Are you streaming or just idling? how much?

Can you try the test I mentioned: Airplane mode, no screen sleep, clock/timer. Charge to 100%. Kill/disable all possible background apps/widgets. Set brightness to 0% before going to sleep. See where it is when you wake up.

12hrs is a heavy use day. If i use the phone like a normal person and im not on pandora or youtube all day ill go a day and a half without needing a charge. I run my screen at 28% brightness because any higher and its to bright.

Upvote 0
Like Jroc & others have mentioned...
The EVO has a 65nM processor...the resistors are larger per say requiring more pull on the battery.

The Droid X processor is 45nM. Resistors are smaller....less demand on battery to operate & feed the processor. 45nM also produces less heat than the snapdragon 65nM chips.
Now combine that with the Droid X's Battery saving/managing modes....
And the EVO simply can NOT compete.
Do the research.
BTW Texas Instruments...the company that developed the chip for the Droid X states they are developing a dual core chip also to be 45nM; engineering & development will be done at the end of Q4 2010,
Expect to start seeing devices using them Q1 & Q2 of 2011.
T.I. Is going to continue to revolutionize the processors that go in our smartphones.
...they did with the Moto Droid and once again with the Droid X.

Commend the better & more efficient processor

Upvote 0
12hrs is a heavy use day. If i use the phone like a normal person and im not on pandora or youtube all day ill go a day and a half without needing a charge. I run my screen at 28% brightness because any higher and its to bright.

Something else about the EVO, it reports battery usage very oddly. In airplane mode, with display on all the time, EVO reports Android System as 4x the Display power usage. Droid, from my more limited tests, makes more sense showing the Display much higher.

Unless someone takes up the request to measure the DroidX this way, I guess I'll just have to wait to get my hands on it next week. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones