• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROIDX Gingerbread Update

The update worked for me, but its not showing my corporate sync account and when I try to add it again, it says it's already been added. I can't find any way to delete the account so i can re-add it. Can anyone help with this issue?

If you go into accounts its not there? If you do see it in settings>accounts, delete it and then reinstall it and see if that works.

Upvote 0
just tried the update.zip on sdcard, got a Signature Verification Failed, installation aborted error...

Be sure to check the size of the file and its MD5 sum--I think what you are seeing is a classic case of a bad/short/incomplete download.

If this is the file mentioned in my post #89 above/before (http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...e-soak-test-starts-tonight-2.html#post2754665), then it lists the file's size and MD5 for you to double-check (to see if you truly do need to re-download).

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Be sure to check the size of the file and its MD5 sum--I think what you are seeing is a classic case of a bad/short/incomplete download.

If this is the file mentioned in my post #89 above/before (http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...e-soak-test-starts-tonight-2.html#post2754665), then it lists the file's size and MD5 for you to double-check (to see if you truly do need to re-download).

Good luck!

thanks! actually looks like i didnt have it at the root of the SDCard, moving it now and reapplying...
same error, if the damn download didnt take 18 min to complete it would be so much easier, also seems my file is 114,492kb

Upvote 0
Oooh, I also can't get to the "HOME/POWER" boot screen where I installed the update.zip from now either. I thought I could clear the cache but hitting the search button once the little triangle ! symbol shows up doesn't work.

hold down home/power UNTIL you see the triangle, dont let it go before you do, press magnifying glass, then use volume buttons to make selections..

Upvote 0
heres what im noticing, if i set usb connection to Windows Media Synch the transfer fails at about 80%, if i set it to PC Mode it fails at about 85%, rebooted phone while it was connected to USB, came up fine and was able to successfully copy file to root of sdcard, ran update and still failed, screw it, just gonna wait for push from the big red devil

Upvote 0
I have a stupid question..

It has been a while since I have done this to the phone.

If I am on Froyo (OFFICIAL version released whenever that was (2.2.1)) Only mod I have done is Root (to run an ad blocker)

can I follow the Non-signed steps? (one with the 2 files to download and install.

I am thinking yes and that will allow me to keep root on my phone..

using that method I need to purchase Droid2 Boot Strapper and do it through there, Correct?

Upvote 0
heres what im noticing, if i set usb connection to Windows Media Synch the transfer fails at about 80%, if i set it to PC Mode it fails at about 85%, rebooted phone while it was connected to USB, came up fine and was able to successfully copy file to root of sdcard, ran update and still failed, screw it, just gonna wait for push from the big red devil

FYI, I've had better luck at times downloading large files with non-stock browsers like Opera Mini, etc. Your mileage may vary, of course.

The OTA will be here soon for everyone...your patience will (eventually) be rewarded.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
so i compressed the file, put it in the root of my sd and downloaded AFV

did the MD5 checksum (hex): 67dff9aed5fa85930684f2e2b1555e9a
and file size (bytes): 117689072

azgunz,

I think you really need the original, un-expanded version of the Update.zip file. When you re-compressed it, I can pretty-much guarantee that the bootloader won't accept it because it'll have the wrong signature (since the file size and MD5 sum of the whole file is different from the original).

Not sure how you got it expanded on your /sdcard...

Upvote 0
I thought I could wait until tomorrow. Unfortunately I had a few extra minutes and got to thinking "why not today".

rebooting system now

(full stock version - signed) :eek:

Follow up: Took less than 10 minutes and all is working as expected. I had installed the .588 version and SBF'd back to .340 last week in anticipation of the OTA and the sync issue I had is gone but... The back-light on the hard keys is still to bright. Is there a fix for non-root? It's interesting that they did not address this in .596 as froyo was just right. GRRRRR

Upvote 0
azgunz,

I think you really need the original, un-expanded version of the Update.zip file. When you re-compressed it, I can pretty-much guarantee that the bootloader won't accept it because it'll have the wrong signature (since the file size and MD5 sum of the whole file is different from the original).

Not sure how you got it expanded on your /sdcard...

Yea I figured that so I unchecked the Safari option that auto unzips it and found the original zip file, put that in there and did the steps. PERFECTION.

Upvote 0
just tried the update.zip on sdcard, got a Signature Verification Failed, installation aborted error...

I got that same error when I was trying to upgrade from system version 2.3.(I think 160?) to 2.3.340. I had rooted and removed a piece of annoying bloatware. Turns out no one had the right version for me to put back in, what a pain. I probably could have fixed it with an SBF, but I was too lazy, so I just called VZW, played stupid, and got a new phone sent to me to replace the old one. Now before people start saying, "that's taking advantage of the system and it costs VZW money!" maybe it does, but the phone was in perfect physical condition so I have no doubt they dumped a new image on it and re-sold it as "Certified Pre-owned"

So you could probably use either of those solutions, but the second one only works if it's still under warranty.

Upvote 0
I have a stupid question..

It has been a while since I have done this to the phone.

If I am on Froyo (OFFICIAL version released whenever that was (2.2.1)) Only mod I have done is Root (to run an ad blocker)

can I follow the Non-signed steps? (one with the 2 files to download and install.

I am thinking yes and that will allow me to keep root on my phone..

using that method I need to purchase Droid2 Boot Strapper and do it through there, Correct?

Jeff,

I had the same setup as you: stock Froyo (no GB leaks), rooted, no bloat removed, no apps frozen. Here's what I did:

0. Make sure you have a full (100%) charge on your phone / battery before booting into ClockworkMod custom recovery

1. I downloaded (and verified with AFV, of course ;)) the "method two" files (i.e, the "Patched update.zip (not signed)" files, part1 and part2); do not unzip or extract these files

2. Placed them in the top-level / root of my /sdcard

3. Renamed them to make them shorter (the end-part of the file gets cut-off in custom recovery when viewing the files available to flash, so I wanted to make sure that I was flashing part1 before part2 :eek:)

4. Installed Droid 2 Bootstrapper (first / top button)

5. Booted into ClockworkMod custom recovery (via D2 Bootstrapper) (second / bottom button)

Note: to navigate in ClockworkMod recovery:

• volume keys to move up and down
  • camera button to select
  • power button to return to previous menu / screen
6. Took a Nandroid backup (sorry, forgot that initially)

• select backup and restore
  • select Backup

7. Flashed part1.zip (install zip from sdcard)

8. Flashed part2.zip (install zip from sdcard)

9. Rebooted and started enjoying GingerBread.

I did not do any wipes or anything.

All went very nicely. GB on the X is pretty cool :cool: (I've had it on my Eris for a long time already ;)).

Cheers!

edit: I did backup all of my apps with TiBu first, and then made sure that the first thing I did in recovery was to take a Nandroid backup...can't have enough backups

edit: Hmmm...seems like we've strayed into Droid X all-things-root territory here...might have to move some posts to the root thread...

Reactions: -=Jeff=-
Upvote 0
1. I downloaded (and verified with AFV, of course ;)) the "method two" files (i.e, the "Patched update.zip (not signed)" files, part1 and part2)
ps

Darn TLAs....

What is AFV?

If i google it do i google AFV?

EDIT: I heard if you turn off USB Debugging uyou can use Droid X bootstrapper.

with Droid 2 Bootstrapper do you leave USB Debugger on?

Upvote 0
Darn TLAs....

What is AFV?

If i google it do i google AFV?

EDIT: I heard if you turn off USB Debugging uyou can use Droid X bootstrapper.

with Droid 2 Bootstrapper do you leave USB Debugger on?

lol...yeah, but you might get America's Funniest Videos too! :D

AFV is Android File Verifier...I wrote it last year to help my root brethren, but its a great tool for non-root uses too (like we are discussing here). Its in the Market under "AFV (Android File Verifier)"...you can search for "AFV" and it should be at the top of the list.

I heard that about Droid X bootstrapper, but I figured I'd forget since I always have USB debugging on (for app development in Eclipse, etc.). I left it on for the D2 Bootstrapper.

Take your time...measure twice, cut once. You'll be fine.

If you get into trouble, there's more knowledgeable folks in the Droid X root section. I've stayed stock for so long for app development purposes, but I've hung-out with the DX rooters since that's my main interest, but they have lots of experience and knowledge about DX ROMs, themes, SBF'ing, etc.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones