• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DroidX Root Questions

First off, I have a DroidX via Verzion and my phone is already rooted. I used some kind of app that only required me to click one button and change my bluetooth setting at some point during the process. Can't remember who it was that wrote it or I would give kudos.

Anyways...

This first question may be really silly but here it goes...

Do I already have Froyo (v2.2)?

When I go into About phone from settings it says Firmware version 2.1-update1

Is update 1 Froyo?

2nd question. I've been tyring to use an android irc with a lot of difficulty. The app developer said that verizon often blocks irc communication but that it would be possible through Wi-Fi. I have the wireless tethering for rooted users app. Can I use this app to serve internet to myself via wi-fi while 3G is enabled?

I haven't done that yet... which also raises another question!

How do I get rid of all the bloat once I update to Froyo?
Is there a special app I can DL?

I'll search the web for updating to Froyo how-tos

Check the Root guide sticky thread at the top - there is a list of all the bloatware apps that are safe to remove. You can use Titanium Backup or Root Explorer to freeze or delete them.

Upvote 0
If you have all your bloat, go ahead and try to update by going into setting>about phone> system updates. Good luck!

To answer your question, there are two recommended ways to neutralize bloat. If you use root explorer (app), you can rename your apps thus: blockbuster.apk to blockbuster.bak . This way, if you ever need to upgrade further, saaaay to gingerbread, or if you need to return your phone to VZW, you can immediately restore the names and functionality of said apps, without vzw ever knowing you were ever rooted, which nullifies your warranty.

Secondly you can do it as I do. I use Titanium Backup Pro to "freeze" apps. It's moderately easier and the Titanium has other great uses for rom/theme users as well.

Good luck! If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask us! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones