1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Drop box is default share target - unable to clear defaults

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by UncleMike, Jan 5, 2014.

1. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    I just went to share a web page for Chrome and was immediately dumped into Dropbox instead of being presented with a list of apps and the Always/Once buttons. Maybe I accidentally selected Always last time, but I don't think so. Regardless, the Clear Defaults button for DropBox in application manager is grayed out. Sharing from other apps also defaults to DropBox. Any suggestions?

On a related note, when is Google going to realize the stupidity of this Always/Once BS and go back to the checkbox in the dialog? What used to be one tap (select the app) now requires two (select the app and tap Once), and on the off chance I always want to do the same thing, I still have to tap twice. What were they thinking?

Edit: Now I feel bad since I found a solution so quickly AFTER posting, but here it is:

http://www.cultofandroid.com/45640/fix-the-share-menu-bug-in-android-4-4-kitkat/

Apparently there's a bug in KitKat. I did what the article suggests, but it clears an awful lot of stuff.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    I guess they were thinking that you'd realize that if you press the "Always" button, that box won't come up again unless you clear defaults (which is stupid - it should say "clear this as the default" - you're not clearing defaults you set for that app, you're clearing it AS the default app for a certain function) for the app you always want for that action.

3. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    But the new dialog doesn't allow you to accomplish anything different, it just requires double the number of taps for those who choose not to set a default app.