• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox alternatives?

I've been unhappy with DB for awhile, for several reasons, and am thinking about dumping it for some other service. Can anyone recommend anything?

My requirements are basically:

- must have a native Linux app, but also be workable via web browser and Android app

- must allow selective syncing of directories

- must not require reconfiguring my directory structure (DB requires having a Dropbox directory, in which all your directories/sub-directories to be synced must live--this doesn't work for me. I'm very rigid. I've used the same filesystem structure for decades and have many bash scripts that reference them. I will not modify all those scripts!)

- I don't need more than 1TB of storage

- must be a well-known, reputable company

Suggestions?

Box don't currently have a Linux client, and "don't have plans to do so at this time". But I think there are third-party clients.

I just checked, and it's 2.5 years since I last used Dropbox (and there's so little in it I'm tempted to delete the lot just out of tidiness). Working for and at public institutions in Europe I'm either strongly discouraged or forbidden from using services like Dropbox for anything work-related because of the data protection implications, and utterly forbidden for anything that might be classed as personal data. In fact in recent years many organisations have set up their own file-sharing systems: both the university who employ me and CERN have done so, for example, which is why I have no up-to-date knowledge of the commercial systems.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
It was a spiel from Google that really got me motivated to start acting on this. It was their offer for additional storage [above the 15GB we get just for having Google accounts]. It said 100GB was $19.95 per year, 200GB for $29.95(?), and then it shot up to 2TB.

I've had a 1TB Dropbox account for years, but awhile back they upgraded it to 2TB--and increased its price. I don't want or need >1TB, nor do I want to pay for it.

I'm leaning toward Google, but wish they had something in the middle--more than 200GB but less than 2TB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones