• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox App for HP Touchpad!

decalex

Android Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2009
Orange County, CA
Vote here -- let Dropbox know you want an HP Touchpad version!

Vote for a Dropbox App for the HP Touchpad! (You can vote 6 times)

I'm using Box.net now ONLY because they have a nice webOS app. But honestly, I don't like that company. Maybe it's their filesize upload cap, maybe their seemingly available features that ask you go upgrade, maybe that the 'x' in their logo is totally off balance from the "b" and "o".. both in width and the thickness of the stems. Maybe I'm missing something.

so anyway,

I love dropbox, and the dropboxify app is too expensive and not optimized for the touchpad. Vote away!

I found that if you go into Accounts on the device it lets you add a Dropbox account in there. I added mine and if I go into QuickOffice I can browse my entire Dropbox account right from the device. I haven't had a chance to do anything else with it beyond that, but it would appear that there's already native support on the device. There may be no need for an app.

Edit: Just did some more testing. Opened Quickoffice. Opened a document in my Dropbox folder list and edited it. It immediately updated on DB on my computer. It would appear that there is native support for Dropbox, Box.net and Google Docs as well. I wish HP had made this clear. The integration is much better than Android IMO. In Android I would have to open the Dropbox app, open the file I wanted to work with and choose to open it in QuickOffice. I don't think anything I change is automatically synced back either, but I may be wrong. In WebOS I just open Quick Office and I can easily browse my file list. I took a screen shot, but I can't post it at the moment as I need to run out the door and I need to redact personal information from said screenshot before posting.

Upvote 0
Ok, This is what I've got after I redacted my information. This is what it looks like when you open Open Office. You can see Dropbox listed right there and you can interact with the files like they were on your device. You must be connected to the Internet in order for this to work. If you're offline, none of your files appear except the ones on your local device.

webos_2011-04-09_101536.png

You can add the account by going to Accounts from the settings page and add the account there. I added all the accounts I had that I could think of. This is much, much better account integration than you get in Android.

accounts_2011-04-09_165356.png

Reactions: Amerie and decalex
Upvote 0
Seriously awesome tip there - "Tip this" worthy.

:D

Thanks for the props. I stumbled across it and I was like, this cannot be real. It's just too integrated and too well done to be found in a failed product. Then I started messing with it and still didn't believe it actually worked that well. I have no clue how HP dropped the ball with this. The integration with all these different services is the best I've ever seen. There are certainly other services I'd like to see added (Like G+ or Twitter), but it's a very, very, very good start.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones