• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox APP shows private pics I deleted off SD card...

kmodek

Lurker
May 3, 2012
So, yeah, I took some 'private' pics on my phone but decided to get rid of them. I didn't sync w/ Dropbox (the app OR on my PC).

I deleted the pics in my gallery on my phone and when I use Astro to find them, they're not showing, but when I open the Dropbox app on my phone and choose to upload pics to Dropbox, the 'private' pics are still showing.

I tried uploading them to see if I could just delete them off of Dropbox itself but they don't show up or upload. So, I can't figure out how the app is bringing up the pics when I can't even see them when I use a file browser app like Astro.

I can't find any info from Dropbox about this. The app is showing them in the SD/Downloads file, but they're not there when I go to that file using Astro. I've got it set to show all hidden files & all extentions too.
I set Dropbox app to use a passcode just to keep anyone from getting on my phone and seeing these pics, but I really want them off my phone permanently.

Anyone have any idea at all how I can permanently get these pics off my phone???

Thank you!

I wonder if your dropbox was set to auto upload pictures? Maybe they were uploading when you deleted them and now they are stuck in some sort of limbo. Try going into your applications manager and clearing the data for your dropbox app. If this doesn't work, maybe try uninstalling and then reinstalling the app...

Upvote 0
My embarrassing photos aren't actually in my dropbox folder. They show up when I am uploading other photos. The embarrassing photos are shown as the sample photo when uploading instead of the real photos. Its temporary until the upload is over. Its not always the embarrassing photos just old ones and I don't no where they are saved. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled it and the old pictures still show up when uploading.

Upvote 0
My embarrassing photos aren't actually in my dropbox folder. They show up when I am uploading other photos. The embarrassing photos are shown as the sample photo when uploading instead of the real photos. Its temporary until the upload is over. Its not always the embarrassing photos just old ones and I don't no where they are saved. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled it and the old pictures still show up when uploading.
Are you certain you checked all of your Dropbox files on the server-side? Usually, I would utilize a computer to do this instead of a mobile device and manually check each and every single folder for these 'rogue' files.

It could be that Dropbox has it in sync and when your phone downloads any data from it, those pictures are placed back into the gallery. It could also simply be the cache on Dropbox's side, which I am not too sure how to fix that.

Another way you could try and see if it's really on the service and not on the phone, is by utilizing a different Dropbox account and seeing if these pictures crop up again.

(I have never heard of this problem before, only time it did happen was due to the user forgetting he had backups saved on another folder in his cloud drive and Dropbox automatically kept tabs on all picture files.)

Upvote 0

Try installing & running one of those cache/junk file cleaning apps to see if it can find the problem photos. They are probably buried in some image thumbnail cache somewhere. I use an app called Clean Master by KS Mobile. It scans your storage and lists what can be cleaned out. After you install it, try uninstalling Dropbox again. Clean Master may pop up indicating that it can remove additional files & folders left by the uninstalled app. Seems to work pretty well. But I've never encountered the problem you're having so can't say for sure if it'll work for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones