• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox: best way to sync files you need on many devices

Quick question:

Is there a way for my Android dropbox to act just like the one on my PC? Let's say I download something from the browser and save it directly in my dropbox: it won't sync. I really have to go into the dropbox app, select the file I want to upload and then upload it.

PS: I've only got one ref from my signature, and it was someone that did it to be kind; I knew him already. I might just sue NightAngel. :p

Upvote 0
Quick question:

Is there a way for my Android dropbox to act just like the one on my PC? Let's say I download something from the browser and save it directly in my dropbox: it won't sync. I really have to go into the dropbox app, select the file I want to upload and then upload it.

PS: I've only got one ref from my signature, and it was someone that did it to be kind; I knew him already. I might just sue NightAngel. :p

:p
Think there are alternate programs that will do what you are talking about
Mine syncs automatically, not sure why yours isn't.

No, he means for it to automatically save the new files to his phone, which the dropbox app doesn't do.

I'm glad too cause my dropbox storage has more space than my phone :)

Upvote 0
Mine syncs automatically, not sure why yours isn't.

:p
Think there are alternate programs that will do what you are talking about

No, he means for it to automatically save the new files to his phone, which the dropbox app doesn't do.

I'm glad too cause my dropbox storage has more space than my phone :)

I wasn't clear enough, but I mean both. :D

I want my stuff to sync to my phone immediately and I want the files that I save on my phone's Dropbox folder to be synced without me having to upload them using the Dropbox app.

I just downloaded Dropsync to fix the first issue of mine. ;) (EDIT: It seems to fix both issues!)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
A word of warning:

DropBox, like SugarSync or Minus, etc., are very convenient 'clouds'. Convenient for syncing files, and transferring files. But NOT for storing files! Because you don't control access! DropBox, SugarSync, and Minus, etc., do! So if your only copy of a file is in the cloud it will one day be a very unpleasant surprise if the cloud is offline, for some reason, or if it is compromised by hackers, or if Messrs. DropBox, SugarSync, and Minus (and others of course) suddenly demand payment for you to access your own data !

So don't make your cloud your primary repository of your data. You never know who else has access to it. And you never know for sure if you will have access to it!

If you want to use your cloud to have copies of important personal files (passports, drivers license, insurance policies, deeds of sale, warranties, testaments, etc. etc.) available wherever you can access the internet then encrypt those files before you upload them to the cloud. So in case your cloud gets compromised by third parties they still have the file encryption to deal with.

Upvote 0
No kidding. I keep my photos on my PC (phone>DB>PC), then I have a BU hard drive that syncs to my PC for another copy... hard drives aren't "that" reliable (yours or theirs). Although if I'm at home I just use a wifi connection and File Expert instead of dropbox.

A word of warning:

DropBox, like SugarSync or Minus, etc., are very convenient 'clouds'. Convenient for syncing files, and transferring files. But NOT for storing files! Because you don't control access! DropBox, SugarSync, and Minus, etc., do! So if your only copy of a file is in the cloud it will one day be a very unpleasant surprise if the cloud is offline, for some reason, or if it is compromised by hackers, or if Messrs. DropBox, SugarSync, and Minus (and others of course) suddenly demand payment for you to access your own data !

So don't make your cloud your primary repository of your data. You never know who else has access to it. And you never know for sure if you will have access to it!

If you want to use your cloud to have copies of important personal files (passports, drivers license, insurance policies, deeds of sale, warranties, testaments, etc. etc.) available wherever you can access the internet then encrypt those files before you upload them to the cloud. So in case your cloud gets compromised by third parties they still have the file encryption to deal with.

Upvote 0
No kidding. I keep my photos on my PC (phone>DB>PC), then I have a BU hard drive that syncs to my PC for another copy... hard drives aren't "that" reliable (yours or theirs).

Which is why you have two: your internal HD and an external BU HD for it. Covering for each other.
And since my house can burn down, or get inundated, or explode from a gas leak, I also have a mirror copy of the BU HD offsite, updated monthly.

Upvote 0
I use dropbox for syncing some documents, photos and files. I use Google to sync my calendar and contacts. But I view these as just tools of convenience and live by the assumption that one day Skynet will become self aware and I will lose everything. I back try and back up everything on my notebook or PC. Of course, if somebody steals my computer or if there was a disaster...

Upvote 0
I use dropbox for syncing some documents, photos and files. I use Google to sync my calendar and contacts. But I view these as just tools of convenience and live by the assumption that one day Skynet will become self aware and I will lose everything. I back try and back up everything on my notebook or PC. Of course, if somebody steals my computer

Get an external backup Harddisk. 300GB for under 50 bucks. Storage has never been so cheap.

or if there was a disaster...

Get another external backup Harddisk, duplicate data, and store offsite. 300GB for under 50 bucks. Storage has never been so cheap.

Upvote 0
Get an external backup Harddisk. 300GB for under 50 bucks. Storage has never been so cheap.

Get another external backup Harddisk, duplicate data, and store offsite. 300GB for under 50 bucks. Storage has never been so cheap.

300GB is nothing, I am over 200 just in photo's and growing fast.:D

Really? Have you heard of the international hard drive shortage caused by the flooding in Thailand?

Haven't quite figured out why loosing 25% manufacturing capacity makes this big of a difference. If it was 50+% I could understand the shortage and price hikes but only 25%, a lot of it is artificially induced.

Upvote 0
300GB is nothing, I am over 200 just in photo's and growing fast.:D

Haven't quite figured out why loosing 25% manufacturing capacity makes this big of a difference. If it was 50+% I could understand the shortage and price hikes but only 25%, a lot of it is artificially induced.

Supply and demand, supply was kept to demand but no supply line is crippled while demand still exists

Upvote 0
Today's been a good day for my dropbox account!

attachment.php

No, I'm not sharing my secret until I get the 16GB from referrals at 512MB per ref. :p I had a link in my signature here for more than a month and that wasn't efficient at all. I didn't especially like having that in my signature either. ;)

Attachments

• Capture db.jpg
    Capture db.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0

attachment.php

No, I'm not sharing my secret until I get the 16GB from referrals at 512MB per ref. :p I had a link in my signature here for more than a month and that wasn't efficient at all. I didn't especially like having that in my signature either. ;)

You will share, or I'll get EarlyMon on ya! :mad:

:D

That is pretty impressive.

Upvote 0

attachment.php

WOW... we at the office really need this secret!!! feeling crapped at 3GB..

pretty please with a cherry on top... :D

Upvote 0

Its actually 500 per referral :p

(and I'm sitting on 21.75gigs, muha muhaha muhahaha)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones