• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DropBox beta...it's been here...

Jan 11, 2010
A little late on this because I actually forgot I had it installed but the official beta for DropBox was closed after the first 1000 people or so.

This is their site: https://www.dropbox.com/

Their awesome wiki: FrontPage - Dropbox Wiki

The apk. Download Dropbox.apk from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

2 GB of space, perfect for having access to your documents, movies, etc. while on the go. Invaluable.

Works flawlessly. Has worked for about a month now without force close (dunno why it would happen here, but browser betas suck and do force close...) and downloads complete with no issues.

Andrizoid, if this is your first time hearing of this app, I presented only one of the many uses for it. It's really just the way I use it.

Others use it differently. It's essentially like having a 2GB hard drive everywhere you go. If someone wants to download your file from a distance, they can.

Plus, who gives you 2 GB of storage free these days? Unless you feel comfortable with people snooping around your GMail stuff.

Upvote 0
This is cool for someone who doesn't know much about computers. But if you have server space at a host site or perhaps your own home server, you can essentially do this yourself. Though the idea of a mobile app is pretty cool. But as far as doing something like this with a PC and a laptop, a mounted server drive works just fine. And that way you're not editing multiple copies that may or may not sync properly, you're editing just one file on the server and you can get to it anywhere.

Upvote 0
People who question it's usefulness or mention what they think are shortcomings clearly haven't used the tool. We use it at work to share just under 1gb of "standard" documents (spreadsheets, PDFs, presentations, etc, etc) amongst multiple users. As long as they have an internet connection, they'll have up-to-date copies of everything, no matter where they are.

Just two days ago, I shared almost (200) pictures that my daughter off-loaded from her camera onto our laptop. How would I have gotten her those pics otherwise ? E-mail ? In less than 10 minutes, she installed the app, accepted the invitation to the shared folder, and had the pics on her PC.

Upvote 0
Dropbox (and Sugarsync, also a great app, and actually I think better on Android right now) also have versioning for files. If you change a file and then realize that you made a mistake, you can go back to a prior version. If you have a paid account, you can go back further.

Also, because files are stored locally as well as on their server, you can work disconnected and have things resync (without thinking about it) when you reconnect.

I have not connected my phone by cable to my computer for months now. Not only in mail and PIM info synced over the air, Sugarsync allows me to get any photos that I want onto my computer without connecting. It's worth it for a free app.

Upvote 0
From your phone? Maybe, but on your computer you just load em up and watch em go. Actually, on your desktop, there should be a folder where you just drag and drop the files in there and it uploads them, no log in or anything.

Yeah, you can only upload pictures one at a time from the phone. I wish we could check off the pictures that we want to upload...like when you send a picture through email. Another thing that kind of sucks is that right now, you can only upload pictures, videos, music, and text files. I wanted to be able to upload a .torrent file so that I can browse files when I'm away from my computer, but have bittorrent automatically start downloading on the computer.

Upvote 0
Yes, from my phone. I've got hundreds of pictures on my SD card and wanted to send them to my Dropbox ... from my phone. I know I can transfer them via USB to my PC and drop them in my Dropbox folder but what about when I'm away from my PC ?

I would invest in an SD adapter. It's what I have and I just pull the microSD out of my phone, put it in the adapter and put it in the SD slot. It's a lot faster too.

What you do, if you don't have the adapter, is simply plug your phone in, mount it, and drag and drop the pictures into the folder on your computer. It will automatically be uploaded to the DropBox account and you can access them on your phone whenever.

Will you really need the backup procedure to be available while on the go? Do you spend days at a time away from the computer?

What I used to do, instead of bringing a laptop to class, I brought my phone or Touch and accessed DropBox from there. I had all the powerpoints for all the classes that had them available and just read along that way. I didn't use it for backing anything up, other than essays if I worked on it on campus and needed it back at home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones