• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox: Cloud Based Storage Excellently Done!

angermeans

Mar 30, 2010
Dropbox
Application: Dropbox Inc.
Email Developer: www.android-feedback@dropbox.com
Webpage: http:dropbox.com
Mobile Webpage: http://m.dropbox.com
Cost: Free in Android Market Search for "Dropbox"
a35a3c0809684ea39cddb49948f4db22.jpg

APPLICATIONS FEATURES

- Access Your online Dropbox files on the go!
- Take and Upload photos and videos on your mobile phone and upload to Dropbox
anywhere!
- 2 GB of Free Online Storage.
- Options to Upgrade to Monthly or Yearly Subscriptions for Those that Want More
Storage.
- Stream Music and Videos from Within Mobile Application Without Storing Files on Your
Android Smartphone!
- Browse and View Files from Dropbox Online Storage Directly Within Dropbox Android
Application! (See Below for Compatible Formats)

Images (.jpg, .tiff, .gif)
Music (.mp3, .aiff, .m4a, .wav)
Movies (.mov, .mp4, .m4v)
Web Pages (.htm, .html)
Text and Rich-Text Files (.txt)

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Perhaps the most attractive aspect of this application is it's price, FREE! Once downloaded and installed the user will be welcomed by a blue homescreen that includes two easily understood options, "I'm already a Dropbox user" or "I'm new to Dropbox". If you already have your 2 GB of free online Dropbox storage then simply sign in with your email address and password and you're ready to go. If you have not signed up for an Dropbox account then your in luck because you can do this from within this application. Simply click on the former option and you will then be welcomed by a screen asking for your first and last name, email, desired password, and then asked to confirm your password. After doing this simply click "Register to Dropbox" and your ready to enjoy your new account. From start to finish I had this application searched, downloaded, and registered within three minutes! Whichever option you choose you only have to complete this once and then from then on out simply launch the application and you can see all your files stored in the Dropbox cloud. Once signed in you will see a white background screen with two pre set up folders and two .pdf's explaining how to use your new Dropbox account. The first folder is labled "Photos" and within the folder you will find a "Sample Album" containing sample pictures and a .rtf on how you can use this folder. The other folder is labled "Public" and this also contains a .pdf. Any file placed in this folder gets it's own internet link allowing you to share with others. You are also able to open the desired application like Gmail to then send the link (See below for a step by step directions).

- Step 1: Drop a file into the Shared folder
- Step 2: Long Press on file, then choose "Share". This brings up the option to "Share a link", "Share this file", or "Copy a link".
- Step 3: Choose/Paste link in a chosen application to share.
93d1d4ed0816e2d28f3482b12472826e.jpg

The Dropbox application for Android allows the user to download any file directly to your phone. This allows you quick access to your files anywhere, anytime, even if you are in a place without service (God forbid). All files are stored on a folder called "Dropbox" on your SD card. This allows you to view your files even when offline. You can save files to your device by simply launching the Dropbox application and then clicking on a file. You can see what files are saved to your SD card by connecting your phone to your PC via USB, or download a file browser app from the Android Market. Dropbox for Android will auto search for an application that is capable of opening each file type stored in the cloud you are attempting to view/edit. If it is unable to locate an application that is able to open the file then it will offer the opportunity to open as a text file or even see a list of recommended applications you can then install (from within the app!) to then use to view your file. This really shows the depth the developers and Dropbox Inc. went to in designing this application.
2f7d040c4b5cf7fd446f8ea8015439dc.jpg

2ed16f6d9305a83b70711ff45467ef71.jpg

One of my favorite features in this application is the ability to stream music and video files. This allows users to save their precious memory on their device for more important things. to achieve this simply store any file you want streamed on your device in your Dropbox account and follow these easy directions:

- Step 1: Open the Dropbox app
- Step 2: Navigate to file you wish to stream and click on it
e96df79f3b4078226f20130228cf99f3.jpg

- Step 3: Select the application you wish to play the file
7e8c17e92ab41531c332060e91857357.jpg

- Step 4: Enjoy your media!

MISSING FEATURES AND ANNOYANCES

Dropbox for Android is a great application, but like most free commodities there are some annoyances. The first was the fact that once files are clicked on they are downloaded to your device. I know I mentioned this as a great feature,and really it can be, but there is not an easy way to see what files are saved on your phone and this can take up valuable space on your SD card. The only way to see what files are on your phone is to download a file viewer in the Market or plug your wireless phone into a PC. This to me is the opposite of mobile and at times it was very annoying. After just a week of using I finally got around to cleaning out files that I didn't need. This folder took up almost a half a gig. I know that is not a lot, but that was only after a week of using and I am sure to the common user they won't get around to even noticing that these files are saved to your device and that could add up really quick. This could be fixed by simply adding a file viewer within the app for fast access to what files are saved to the SD card. Another welcomed feature would be a way to access the notifications bar for easy switching. I am a student and I use Dropbox as a virtual flash drive and I am always uploading my homework to the cloud and then emailing them to myself so I can print them off at school. This requires a lot of mutltitasking (Thank God for Android!) and it would save a lot of time if I could easily access the application by the Notification bar. These are just two annoyances and they are far from a deal breaker (especially for a free app)!

FINAL THOUGHTS

This application is loaded with useful features and I can't imagine my life without Dropbox. It is a great idea and the developers over at Dropbox Inc. really polished this application from start to finish, from being able to upload, download, stream, share, and even the 2 GB's of Free space they graciously give to anyone wanting to try it out. Best of all there is not a single ad to be found in the entire app which really surprised me considering my experiences with Android Market free applications. I was also surprised that all actions can be done within the application and that is very rare to find. I kept expecting for the app to launch the mobile browser to accomplish some of these tasks, but it didn't just a simple list of features and your off. If I had to rate Dropbox I would easily give it 9.5 out 10. If even one of the two annoyances above were to be fixed in an update I would happily give this thing a 10! I would suggest it to any Android user of any age and I could see advantages of Dropbox for just about any user. If 2 GB's is not enough Dropbox allows the user two options on subscriptions. The first is the Pro 50 which is $9.99/month or $99.00/year, or the Pro 100 is $19.99/month or $199.99/year. This is a very affordable option to any with the need to backup files or for others who might want an option to store media for streaming. If you haven't checked Dropbox out then give it a try, you won't be sorry!

Check out the official Dropbox Introduction Video "What is Dropbox" on Youtube Below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRs2PnZBhw

anger if there was a way to become a winner, im sure this is not the way to do it. Your review is good but the additional comment really wasn't needed or warranted. just my opinion

Yeah I think you are absolutely right. I thought about it last night after I wrote it cause any number of things could of happened to the phandroid folks or their families (God forbid) I really wasn't trying to be rude at all just wondered what happened to the contest. I apologize phandroid!

Reactions: bellator7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones