• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox for Android now in Beta!!!

mgillespie

Mar 5, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
If anyone not already using Dropbox, then they really should be, it's mighty awesome.

Never lose a document ever again, have them all available (and sync'd) on all your PC's (Win/Mac/Linux x86) and NOW your Android handset too! (selective sync coming very soon).

2GB of space for free accounts (more than enough for documents), addition space for pay accounts.

http://tinyurl.com/Dr0pB0x2

The video on the link above demonstrates things nicely....

Reactions: IOWA
It's like Ubuntu One, but multiplatform (windows, linux and mac), and a very cool webside interface.

2GB as standard. Android and iPhone clients about to be released, along with selective sync (so you can choose only a subset to sync to your phone).

There are some things Ubuntu One does not do.

It's also got a VERY handy LAN Sync feature, which Ubuntu One does not have. Whilst clients will sync via the DropBox servers normally, if you have PC's on your local network also running DropBox that have the updated files (generally because they were created on that PC), it will grab the files directly via them, saving bandwidth.

Everything is checksum based, so it's smart enough to know that a file has simply been renamed (it does not transfer it, it just renames it everwhere else).

It also does file history, so if you save a file, that VERSION of that file is also kept for a couple of weeks before the old copy is discarded. Handy if you save a doc and want to revert back. Also applies to Delete. Delete a file, even if it's not in the recycle bin on your, there is a copy available on the dropbox server for a short while ( I think again a couple of weeks).

I had a huge spring clean of My Documents folder, got rid of the crap, and then just shared the whole darn lot as a DropBox folder. Whenever I save a word document now, it's automatically available on all my computers. Really seamless.

http://tinyurl.com/Dr0pB0x2

Upvote 0
Currently it's only a viewer of your Dropbox, if you add something to your Favorites, then it makes it available directly on your phone. However you can stream or download any file at will, including music, pictures and video from directly from your dropbox if you have connectivity.

Dropbox 0.8 is in beta that adds selective sync so you can choose which files and folders are automatically synchronized to your Droid

Info about the Android side of things:

http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=439

QR Code:
img.php

Upvote 0
Currently it's only a viewer of your Dropbox, if you add something to your Favorites, then it makes it available directly on your phone. However you can stream or download any file at will, including music, pictures and video from directly from your dropbox if you have connectivity.

Dropbox 0.8 is in beta that adds selective sync so you can choose which files and folders are automatically synchronized to your Droid

I just installed the app from your QR code, but when I launch the app it asks me to login but doesn't accept my credentials. I've checked on their website, and I'm entering the correct email and password.

Upvote 0
I just installed the app from your QR code, but when I launch the app it asks me to login but doesn't accept my credentials. I've checked on their website, and I'm entering the correct email and password.

I think it's because it's currently a limited beta, and entries are closed. As soon as it opens up the next set, jump in, and then the app will log in.

Until them, sync and setup your files on your PC, and use the mobile access page linked above.

Upvote 0
How are people spotting the extra spaces so quickly? Can't see anything on their site and nothing on their blog/twitter feeds.

No idea as Arash starts a new thread each time. I can only suggest subscribe to the forum...
Dropbox Forums Forum: Everything Else

Anyway Arash posted:
hi guys,
if you didn't get in today, don't worry. our next batch will almost certainly get all of you european dropboxers involved :)

So I suspect the next release will either be a full release or an open beta.

Reactions: GrenW
Upvote 0
Dynamite. I've been eagerly anticipating this, and could never squeak in under the wire in those beta tests. I'm glad to see the app is free, although that makes sense; Dropbox hopes to makes their money by selling subscriptions to their cloud service.

While waiting for the Dropbox app to arrive, I've started using SugarSync, and I actually like it better. It's more versative, IMHO, and they just released an updated Android app (ver. 3.0) which seems much improved over the previous version, both in terms of features and stability. The really cool thing about SugarSync is that you can have it monitor specific folders, both on your Android device and your computer, so it backs files up in real time.

Cheers

PS: Head on over to this thread if you want to sign up for either service; you'll be helping someone out by clicking their referal link: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/68894-dropbox-referral-thread-only-post-them-here.html

PPS: Although I continue to admire what SugarSync can do, I'm deeply distressed to learn that their "generous" referral program expires on January 1st, 2011. That is, any bonus space you might have earned will suddenly evaporate on that date. SugarSync doesn't make that clear in any of their promos, which amounts to a deceptive marketing practice. That's very disturbing. Hence, on ethical grounds alone, I can't recommend this service.

PPPS: Well, GOOD NEWS! Enough of us complained to SugarSync that the emended their terms of service. Now, their bonus space will remain yours for the life of your account. If you'd like to check it out, I'd be grateful for you to use my referral link. Since I don't want to spam up this thread, you can find it on my post, here: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ox-referral-thread-only-post-them-here-3.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones