• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox issue

Dec 23, 2018
Hey there. I need some advice from someone please? I have a galaxy note 10, and I had to do a factory reset. Before I did that, I had purchased a bunch of apps online, and they gave me a Dropbox link to open them. I have a Dropbox account. Now prior to the reset, I was easily able to open the links and download them and install them no problem. However now, when I tap on the links, I am not able to even open them. This is the message I get.. Forget Google play because because they don't have any apps That open files from Dropbox. I've been online over and over again searching for a 3rd party app that will open the files and allow me to install them but I cannot find one anywhere! Does anyone know of any apps that do that because I know there are some that exist? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• PicsArt_10-20-09.32.01.jpg
    PicsArt_10-20-09.32.01.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 89
I presume you've actually tried DropBox's own app for the downloads, rather than some third-party ones?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android&hl=en_US&gl=US
If you can't solve it on your phone, you might have to use a computer instead, as mentioned in that error message, and then transfer it to your phone from the computer.

Another thing, that filename "Punk Girl by DSD"?? Are you sure that's actually a valid Android app APK? Because that filename sounds like a song to me, and "DSD" is a digital audio format, Direct Stream Digital.

Upvote 0
I presume you've actually tried DropBox's own app for the downloads, rather than some third-party ones?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android&hl=en_US&gl=US
If you can't solve it on your phone, you might have to use a computer instead, as mentioned in that error message, and then transfer it to your phone from the computer.

Another thing, that filename "Punk Girl by DSD"?? Are you sure that's actually a valid Android app APK? Because that filename sounds like a song to me, and "DSD" is a digital audio format, Direct Stream Digital.

It's actually a launcher theme for Android that my friend makes. That's really weird because before I did the reset, I had no problems opening them. I think I've tried dropbox itself, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Upvote 0
If you look into your Settings >> Apps menu and open up the Dropbox app entry, is there an 'Open supported links' option or something with similar wording? (...which contains options like 'Open in this app', 'Ask every time', and 'Don't open in this app').
Also, check the Settings menu in the Dropbox app itself for anything that might be relevant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones