• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox + Media Gallery

cartisdm

Android Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I interact with my Dropbox files from my Droid quite a bit. Is there a way to have access to the pictures on my Dropbox from the stock Media Gallery? I use PingChat! with my friends and I often share pictures through the group chat. When I want to share a pic it only lets me "Take a photo" or grab one from the gallery. It's kind of a pain to go to the Dropbox folder, open up the photo, snap a screenshot, then share that in the chat.

Is there an easier way to integrate my photo gallery from dropbox to my Droid?

Mods: I tried to post this in the Support/Troubleshooting sub-forum but that link was down. Feel free to move it if needed

I interact with my Dropbox files from my Droid quite a bit. Is there a way to have access to the pictures on my Dropbox from the stock Media Gallery? I use PingChat! with my friends and I often share pictures through the group chat. When I want to share a pic it only lets me "Take a photo" or grab one from the gallery. It's kind of a pain to go to the Dropbox folder, open up the photo, snap a screenshot, then share that in the chat.

Is there an easier way to integrate my photo gallery from dropbox to my Droid?

Mods: I tried to post this in the Support/Troubleshooting sub-forum but that link was down. Feel free to move it if needed

Gonna move this to the App section.
Only way is if you actually download the pics from your dropbox to phone. Until you do it isn't actually saved on your phone to share. If anyone else knows a way i'd love to hear it though

Upvote 0
Gonna move this to the App section.
Only way is if you actually download the pics from your dropbox to phone. Until you do it isn't actually saved on your phone to share. If anyone else knows a way i'd love to hear it though

When you download the photos, they go to a pre-specified Download folder on the SD Card. If I could just find a way to have the Incredible's Media Gallery see that folder as a gallery, that'd be fine.

(Example, use the Dropbox app to "download" the photo I want, then immediately be able to see it in the Incredible's photo gallery) <--right now I have to use Astro to move the file :(

Upvote 0
When you download the photos, they go to a pre-specified Download folder on the SD Card. If I could just find a way to have the Incredible's Media Gallery see that folder as a gallery, that'd be fine.

(Example, use the Dropbox app to "download" the photo I want, then immediately be able to see it in the Incredible's photo gallery) <--right now I have to use Astro to move the file :(

Yea me to... couple other apps i use that download pics it seems it takes a while for them to show up in the gallery. Sometimes i have a 'dropbox' foler that shows up in the gallery but most of the time i have to move them and pray they show up

Upvote 0
Okay... hope this helps.

When you download from DropBox, the files do go to the SD card. I have not figured out a way to "refresh" the gallery.

However, I think that turning the phone off and then on again refreshes it, and you will then find the data on in the Gallery (in the name of the Dropbox file it was downloaded from..

Not the most harmonious method, but it does seem to work. Now, as I said, if anyone knows how to refresh the gallery, I am all for it.

Hope this makes sense... :)

Upvote 0
Okay... hope this helps.

When you download from DropBox, the files do go to the SD card. I have not figured out a way to "refresh" the gallery.

However, I think that turning the phone off and then on again refreshes it, and you will then find the data on in the Gallery (in the name of the Dropbox file it was downloaded from..

Not the most harmonious method, but it does seem to work. Now, as I said, if anyone knows how to refresh the gallery, I am all for it.

Hope this makes sense... :)

Try SDMOUNT (one word) from the Market. It eliminates the need to reboot the phone to get your sd pix recognized in the Gallery. You have to add it as a widget on your homescreen. It won't be in your App Drawer.

Click the widget to refresh your Gallery.

Upvote 0
Gallery won't see the files until media is rescanned. This happens at boot or if you remount the SD card.

There is an app in the Market called Rescan Media that I use. After I am done downloading, I run that app.

Actually... I also use Tasker, so I just setup a profile to automatically run Rescan Media when Dropbox exits (though I have to wait for the files to get done downloading before exiting).

Anyway you slice it, it's a bit inconvenient we have to do this.

Reactions: BookLover
Upvote 0
Now that I have Tasker, Rescan Media is just what I need. Thx for the tip, HoochieCoo!

One of the options the first time you start the program is to skip the screen... I can't remember what the options is (there is only one). You'll see it. After that, when you run Rescan Media, it just flashes by. Not terribly elegant, but it beats remounting the SD card.

Upvote 0
Yea me to... couple other apps i use that download pics it seems it takes a while for them to show up in the gallery. Sometimes i have a 'dropbox' foler that shows up in the gallery but most of the time i have to move them and pray they show up

Well by golly, I didn't even realize they would eventually show up. I always cut/pasted the photos to a different folder so I never noticed. I will try to refresh app that a few other people mentioned is in the market. Thanks guys!!

EDIT: Although, you know what I just thought of? When I take a "screenshot" it shows up immediately in the Media Gallery. I wonder why it's able to refresh the card and the downloading of a file from Dropbox doesn't... :(

Upvote 0
Well by golly, I didn't even realize they would eventually show up. I always cut/pasted the photos to a different folder so I never noticed. I will try to refresh app that a few other people mentioned is in the market. Thanks guys!!

EDIT: Although, you know what I just thought of? When I take a "screenshot" it shows up immediately in the Media Gallery. I wonder why it's able to refresh the card and the downloading of a file from Dropbox doesn't... :(

I think there is a way a program can tell the system to refresh media. I know a music player I use does this. In Tasker, there is an action to rescan media, but I can't seem to make it work. So my guess is, Dropbox just isn't telling anyone a change was made. Not everything you download with Dropbox would be media related... so it's only a problem for these type files.

I would love a better solution than the Rescan or SD remount. Rescanning the entire card takes a lot of time if you have a lot of media files. I have about 3gb of music, and you can tell the rescan is running because the phone chugs for a few seconds.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones