• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropbox problem? Maybe CR/LF related

chocophile

Nov 22, 2010
I'm having a problem with Dropbox. I often take notes in .txt format using the DB text editor. When I view the files on my computer, the line breaks are missing, like a Unix/Windows CR/LF problem. It looks like the Android form of the file has line feed (LF) but no carriage return (CR).
Double spacing doesn't help. I've looked in settings/preferences on both sides and can't see a way to change this behavior. Any suggestions on making the file more readable on both devices?

An example: on the phone, a file looks like this:

line 1
line 2
line 3

On my Win7 computer, it looks like this:

line1line 2line3

At work, I use FTP to move files back and forth between my PC and unix servers. I'm accustomed to using ASCII transfer instead of binary/image takes care of the translation. I guess I need a similar functionality with DB.

I did some testing, and found that the problem exists only with files originally created using DB Text Editor on my phone. A file created on my Windows 7 machine using Notepad does not exhibit this problem, even if the file is later edited on the phone.

So, I opened the files in a hex editor. i found that the Android-created file does indeed have only a 0A (line feed) at the end of each line. The PC-created file has 0D 0A (carriage return/line feed) at the end of the line. This is true even for the lines that I added to the file on my phone using the dropbox text editor.

Would anyone like to create a new text file using DB Text Editor, then view it in either Notepad or a hex editor and report back whether the file contains just a LF or CR/LF at each line end?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones