1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Dropbox problem? Maybe CR/LF related

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by chocophile, Mar 14, 2011.

1. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    I'm having a problem with Dropbox. I often take notes in .txt format using the DB text editor. When I view the files on my computer, the line breaks are missing, like a Unix/Windows CR/LF problem. It looks like the Android form of the file has line feed (LF) but no carriage return (CR).
    Double spacing doesn't help. I've looked in settings/preferences on both sides and can't see a way to change this behavior. Any suggestions on making the file more readable on both devices?

An example: on the phone, a file looks like this:

line 1
    line 2
    line 3

On my Win7 computer, it looks like this:

line1line 2line3

At work, I use FTP to move files back and forth between my PC and unix servers. I'm accustomed to using ASCII transfer instead of binary/image takes care of the translation. I guess I need a similar functionality with DB.

Advertisement

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    I don't have this issue at all?
    Using vista, though.

3. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    I did some testing, and found that the problem exists only with files originally created using DB Text Editor on my phone. A file created on my Windows 7 machine using Notepad does not exhibit this problem, even if the file is later edited on the phone.

So, I opened the files in a hex editor. i found that the Android-created file does indeed have only a 0A (line feed) at the end of each line. The PC-created file has 0D 0A (carriage return/line feed) at the end of the line. This is true even for the lines that I added to the file on my phone using the dropbox text editor.

Would anyone like to create a new text file using DB Text Editor, then view it in either Notepad or a hex editor and report back whether the file contains just a LF or CR/LF at each line end?