1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Dropped Calls?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GouxRoux, Nov 10, 2009.

1. DanSan

DanSan Android Enthusiast

i got a force close earlier today when i went to call my job, it just errored and stopped dialing

anyone else get this?

2. ceruti82

ceruti82 Member

i posted a similar question:

first~ this has happened a few times~ after finishing a phone call, i go to hit the end button, and my screen stays black. ( i know that the screen has the sensor, so that is not the problem.) opening the phone and pressing keyboard keys, still a black screen.. pressing the power button, still a black screen .. hitting any of the 4 soft keys nothing happens (and there is no haptic feedback as normally get when pressing them..) i have to remove battery to fix the problem. anyone else with this issue?

second~ also happened a few times already~ mid phone call, the caller on other lnd suddenly cant hear me (by saying hello? hello? are you there?) so i pull phone away to see if i hit mute somehow by accident.. and rather than seeing the "in call" screen with the mute, bluetooth, speaker,end buttons,, i see the "just opened phone app" screen~ with the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 buttons and green "call" button..
    does this mean the call was dropped? then why can i hear the person saying "hello? hello?" where did my IN CALL screen go?? and why is this happening!?

and lets throw in there that sometimes callers say that they hear their echo when talking to me. (dont know if the update has fixed that.. its possible it may have.. because b4 update it was not EVERY call, just some.. so i have to make a few more calls b4 I consider it fixed:D)

~~~~

Im hoping this "hair theory" is true, because then it will reassure me that its not my phone just whacking out on me..

i wish there was a way to maunally blank out the screen, andbring it up again.. because personally, i dont like the phone touching my cheek, (which is why they created the sensor to blank out the screen) but it sound like of i dont have it right on my face, the sensor will turn the screen back on.. its a catch 22...

i'll have to make a few test calls today to check it out...

the other problem i have had tho, is that sometimes when i go to make a call, the stock phone app doesnt work! i press the blue phone button, my phone/contacts will pop up.. i choose a contact, or dial a number, but no calls go thru.. then a minute later, all the people i just tried calling all get called at once~ its like the phone froze and is taking its time to do it all once it catches up.! very frustrating.

3. Ruck

Ruck Lurker

This is exactly my issue. I figured it out in the parking lot of Verizon after going there twice in one day to report the issue - then went back in to show them what was happening. The phone comes on while I'm talking and somehow touches the "Add call" button and mutes my phone call or sometimes just starts calling other numbers. I can't do anything different to change this result - hold the phone farther away or closer or pressed against my face all results in the same issue. I wish I could just LOCK the screen while I'm in a call.
    I have long hair too. It seems ridiculous that this isn't a known issue and it's not being resolved. I have to return my phone tomorrow (30 days up) or be stuck with it. Between this and the issue 1507 (Issue 1507 - android - Email app doesn't delete emails on POP3 server and doesn't mark them as read - Project Hosting on Google Code) I can't bare to keep this phone. I just don't have the patience for it.
    PLEASE someone point us to how to find the issue if it has been reported so we can show Google/Motorola that the issue is URGENT and needs to be FIXED ASAP. I'd like to keep the phone but I want to know that a software update is going to resolve my two major show stopper issues!
    Thanks,

4. aamador

aamador Lurker

How do I disable the keypad during calls?

5. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

You are probably staying on network. Chances are that you are calling someone with an iphone or other equipment on ATT.

I find that about 1/2 of my calls to iphones drop, and my connection stays connected. I try to call them back and I get the voice mail... but can call other people.

Go figure, but YMMV!

6. mrbrewster87

mrbrewster87 Lurker

I'm on my 4th droid since Dec 9, not all for this issue but for this issue atleast once. They don't know why its happening...I don't know why its happening, we're just all lost.

I have another issue the little square on the back of my phone above the battery gets SUPER HOT while on the phone, like too hot to touch after about 20 minutes on the phone, anybody else experirience this?

7. Cinsue

Cinsue Newbie

I've had my phone for a week and haven't been able to make one call without having to call back several times to finish the conversation. Just like everyone else, the person on the other end can't hear me and then there's a beep (I'm assuming the other person hanging up) and I have to call back.

I've noticed the last post on this thread was 2/10, just wondering if a fix has been found that somehow missed my phone.

8. bonniep

bonniep Lurker

no fix; still happens to mine. not as often but a few times a week, very annoying. will not be keeping my droid past contract date......

9. Cinsue

Cinsue Newbie

I just spent 45 mins on the phone with a Verizon Rep. After taking my phone back to factory settings and reactivating it, she determined my longest outgoing call lasted 53 seconds. She's shipping me a new Droid. If that doesn't work I'll go back to my Dare

10. nikkix

nikkix Lurker

this one of THE most annoying habits of the droid.

for everyone who gets the phone accidently muted/call goes to dialer screen:
    if you QUICKLY go to your notification bar and select the call, it will take you back to the correct screen and unmute the phone for you. i have trained my wife to wait a minute if i suddenly go quiet, to give me a moment to do this. haha

dobelover likes this.
  11. DroidMK

DroidMK Lurker

For those of us that are getting dropped calls that were not before, the problem is not dropped calls. I just had Tech Support scan my area. It showed no dropped calls, but I was loosing calls. The problem appears to be the phone's touch screen. It's supposed to become deactivated when you bring it up to your ear, but it's not. At least not every time, even thought the screen goes black. The only cure may be to replace the phone and hope for a better Droid or get a different phone.

12. bgardner15

bgardner15 Member

I left at&t for this very reason and I hope that it can be fixed.....

13. kelleraggie

kelleraggie Lurker

linden and dobelover like this.
  14. melissab

melissab Newbie

I posted and I hope it helps. This does seem to be a very old issue. I have had a ton of problems during calls. I've even had the auto dialer force close and couldn't get the call through for a period of time.

I use an app called Screen Suite and it has fixed the issue of the person on the other end not being able to hear me. It locks the phone like it's supposed to do, but there are other issues as well.

dobelover likes this.
  15. athenssmile

athenssmile Newbie

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! I am hanging up on people or muting them. This has happened with every Droid I have had. Yes, this phone has a lot of neat and helpful features through the ability to add apps, but first and foremost, it should be a phone in which you are able to make and finish a phone call.

I have long hair. After reading threads on here, I am always very careful of my phone placement in relation to my hair placement and I still have the hang ups/mutes. If long hair is the problem, are you telling me Motorola really didn't consider this in the design phase of the Droid? Were the developers only bald men, so this problem was not considered?

I am so frustrated by my lack of ability to use my phone as a phone, I want to get rid of the Droid. But what do I go to? I am long past my 30 days. Do I have to buy a new phone if I give them back my Droid?

16. reallykool

reallykool Newbie

sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just got the Droid X (2.1, not 2.2) and I can't make calls longer than 3-4 minutes. I can't even call tech support long enough to talk to someone!

I've had Verizon for 5 years and have never had this problem. I'm looking at my phone and the signal strength keeps changing between 1 and 3 bars ( with a no bar alert every 3-4 minutes). Because of this the phone's battery keeps running out - 6 minutes on the phone and a fully charged phone is down 10%. WTF!

Are there any known fixes?

17. reallykool

reallykool Newbie

After spending a considerable amount of time with customer support, I did a factory reset and *228.

Now I get 3 or 4 bars (everyone else on has 4 bars) but at least I can make calls without dropping them every 3 mins!

18. SDH

SDH Lurker

I have Moto android 2.1 and I have dropped calls all the time. This is especially in my house which apparently is a fringe area (had to leave AT&T 3 years ago over this issue as well). Verizon was better for 6 months then progressively more and more problems with dropped calls and no bars. My wife has a cheap flip phone and is busy talking in the same house while I am unable to call out! I have done the *228 thing and called customer support (they claimed they fixed the problem). Yesterday I took it in and the rep did a hard reset (which scrambled my contacts and dumped half my apps) which did not fix the problem. I love everything about this phone except the phone! Thinking about upgrading to a Droid2 or X. I am reading that the 2 had some similar problems in the first release and X was not immune either. Has there been any progress with fixing the reception problems in either of these releases?

19. dobelover

dobelover Lurker

I have had Verizon for years and have NEVER had a problem with dropped calls until recenlty with my Droid 2. A couple of days ago, I had 3 drops on one 10 minute call. Since I use this for interviews, etc., this can't continue.

20. houstonex

houstonex Lurker

I have the Droid X and have been on Verizon for years and never experienced dropped calls until I got the Droid X. The calls just cut out and I see "call ended" on the screen. I thought it might be the sensor as well, but I was using the phone with my earpiece and the phone still just ended the call.
    Verizon sent me another phone and I've had it for 2 days and had about 3 calls just end today. It's not a matter pressing "mute".
    I have to think it's a problem with the phone.

Anyone else having those issues?

21. newmanlinda

newmanlinda Lurker

You can forget about getting help from Motorola. I went all the way up to a supervisor who said that they only way they can identify or resolve issues is for you to send your phone in for repair - which is impossible for me as I do not have another phone nor do I have a LAN line. They simply do not stand behind their products and told me to talk to Verizon about a replacement phone. Verizon says they are not responsible for the equipment but merely provide the service. Sounds like a finger pointing play to me! Very frustrating!

22. nroach

nroach Lurker

I have verizon for over 7 years and never had a dropped call. I got my incredible about 2 years ago and never had a problem until about a month ago. I have had more dropped calls than ever. It is not a sensor issues because most of the time I am using the car bluetooth and nothing is touching the phone. I just lose the call and it says call disconnected on the screen. I am not sure why all of a sudden this is happening so if someone can shed some light on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

23. SamTzu

SamTzu Lurker

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S II.
    ISP: Saunalahti.

Looks like this* is a common problem.
    It's really annoying since you don't know if someone is calling you since there is no trace of the missed calls.

* Phone drops out of the newer 3G network (in order to connect to the older/slower GSM network) without connecting back to the 3G network afterwards.
    :mad:

24. linden

linden Lurker

My Motorola Droid, 2.2.3, drops calls all of the time. It has done this since I purchased it about a year and a half ago. About 6 months ago, I took it to Verizon to see if they could do something, and they had to wipe the memory and start from factory settings to try to fix it. I was also told to turn it off and back on at least once a week to reset everything. I continue to have calls dropped. I know I don't get great reception where I live, but my cheap phone that I owned before my droid never dropped my calls, even when I had a weak signal.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews