• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help dropped calls

puzzlme

Lurker
May 24, 2011
I recently bought the desire hd and strongly influenced 2 family members to do the same.
All 3 of us are experiencing dropped calls, garbled and breaking up during calls. I contacted HD and was told that it was a network issue. The network says it is a phone issue. I have been using this network for 16 years, no problem with dropped calls. It happens in various locations and my signal strength is always high. Anyone have any helpful suggestions???

I have been suffering through this for the last 4 months and couldn't find a solution anywhere, then last week I got really angry and I found the solution. In essence, while in a call, your phone may try to access the internet (to check emails, sync facebook, whatever) and this causes a combination of the phone and the network to drop your call.

The solution for me was
a) Install Tasker, and create a profile to turn off "Auto-Sync" when Internet Connection is unavailable
b) Install an email client (I use K9) that only sync's when "Auto-Sync" is enabled
c) Install Green Power, and disable the option "Keep connection during phone calls"

What happens is, when in a call, the internet connection gets turned off, which then turns off Auto-Sync, which then turns off email (and other services).

For the first time in months, yesterday I had my first phone call that lasted more than 10 minutes without getting dropped. 1 hour 5 minutes to exact. FIRST TIME IN 4 MONTHS!!!

Upvote 0
Well I discovered that my calls are not actually being dropped. Took me a while to figure this out.....DUH!
I typically hold my phone close to my face and as a result, the "Mute" "Speaker" and "End Call" touch points are sometimes activated by my face touching the screen.
I have been holding the bottom half of the phone a little farther away from my face and no longer have any trouble with the phone dropping calls. lol

Upvote 0
Well I discovered that my calls are not actually being dropped. Took me a while to figure this out.....DUH!
I typically hold my phone close to my face and as a result, the "Mute" "Speaker" and "End Call" touch points are sometimes activated by my face touching the screen.
I have been holding the bottom half of the phone a little farther away from my face and no longer have any trouble with the phone dropping calls. lol

lol - I have the same issue from time to time... only if I hold the phone on the right side of my face... not on the left side of my face! :thinking:

Reactions: puzzlme
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones