• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dropped data connections

amageus

Android Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2009
Anyone experiencing more frequent data connection drops? It seems ever since that 4G network outage I am getting more and more drops. I was used to the once in a while drops but it's like almost daily that my 3G drops. I live in a 3G only area and it'll drop and sometimes a reboot doesn't even help. A few days ago I was in a 4G area and I lost 3G. I set airplane mode and even rebooted with no avail. I switched my phone to 4G and right away it picked up 4G. Set it back to CDMA only and no 3G. Wondering if anyone has been experiencing any sort of 3G problems like I have been. Heck I set my phone down to talk to someone and when I picked up my phone I not only lost 3G, I had an x. I set airplane mode on and off which got 3G back. I am sure there is something going on in their network that they don't want the public to know. Now that I think about it issues happened right around the expanded network upgrade last week.

every single day i have these issues. i'm on 5.7.893 and shift3r 2.3. my apartment gets maybe 1 or 2 bars of 1x, or sometimes 3g. if, for example, i leave home using my gps, the phone will not give me directions because of the data loss. no problem with the gps signal (gps status app fixes nothing), but the actual navigation part won't start to work until after a reboot. airplane mode toggling fixes nothing.

also, i get a consistent 4g signal at work, but when i leave my wifi zone (even if i turn wifi off) it will tell me that it has no connection.

this is bullshit. if rebooting the phone took less than 5 minutes this would be far more bearable. how is it that the verizon fix wasn't actually a fix?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ive had the same problems with my data dropping my area don't have 4g yet I would try the airplane mode trick it wouldn't work, rebooting wouldn't work. So I went to Verizon to try the new some card trick that didn't work so finally I called Verizon and they told me it would be fixed with the ota, and what do you know that didn't work either so I called Verizon again and they told me my bionic was one of the one in the I initial batches of bionics that were screwed up. And what was interesting is that they acted like it was a national security issue that they issue, and that they had to get my bionic back and study it immediately, the funny part is just to get me to send my phone to them they offered me any phone that I wanted as a free replacement they even offered me overnight delivery even offered me the top end iPhone 4s. I couldn't really think of a better phone to pick so I chose a razr that was yesterday so I should have my razr Monday morning. Anyone know why they would want my phone back so bad and if I made the right choice by picking the razr

Upvote 0
I would have gone with a new Bionic if it had been my choice.

You might want to check out the data drop discussion(s) in the Bionic main forum.

... Thom

I was gonna say I wanted a new bionic but the way the guy on the phone acted I couldn't get another bionic but he was sure suggesting the iPhone 4s pretty hard lol and Im not to fond of the gnex to meeting seems like it to cheaply built and not as sturdy a phone as Motorola I work ems so I need a sturdy phone.

On a side note I got an otterbox defender series for a bionic if any one wants to buy it. It's in great shape only damage is some rub marks

Upvote 0
You know I was starting to have problems even on .901
So I started complaining to Verizon to little avail. They were willing to send me a new phone but I had a zagg screen so I didnt want that.

So I did some more digging and I found this little nugget.
Do a battery pull then take out the SD Card, and the SIM card.

Put the battery and the SD card back in. DO NOT PUT THE SIM CARD BACK IN!!

Power up the phone. make sure that everything has loaded. It tries to get signal but cant and then gives you a screen to insert the SIM card.

Power off Normally and Put the SIM card back in.

Power up phone and give it about 15 minutes and you should have a stable connection for at least 2 days to up to 3 Weeks.

Make sure if your in a weak 4g area to toggle your phone to CDMA only.
An easy way to do this is to download an app from the Market called 4g Toggle for RAZR: It Works great with its cousin the Bionic!!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.wmba.android.toggle4gforrazr&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS53bWJhLmFuZHJvaWQudG9nZ2xlNGdmb3JyYXpyIl0.

If this has help ya at all give me a little Thanks with the Thanks button. It is connected directly to my brain and gives me endorphins.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones