• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dropped Droid Backed up ?

bill hilt

Jan 11, 2010
Well I dropped it one to many times .Had to get one from asurion .The screen lights but is blank. I had that baby rooted and themed up nice im wondering since I backed it all up with rom manager and titanium backup, themes and all if I root the replacement and put my old sd card in will it be back the same ? Or can I use the old one to some how get it back to they way it was ?

well.. a ROM backup takes a snapshot of the exact system at that time. So, if you restore, you restore ALL stuff or nothing. no pick and choose.

whereas a Mybackup Pro or TitaniumBU allows you to backup specific data and place and reatore back what you want.. apps, data, apps + data, sms/mms, calendar, specific phone settings, etc.

point is.. I am not 100% sure you can flash a rom from 1 phone to another given there might be specific settings that would crack when you try to put a ROM from phone 1 onto phone 2 given things - like phone #'s and ESN's change. Just not sure there.

BUT, if it were me, I would FOR SURE get a most current copy of the ROM just to be safe, I would use MyBackUp Pro and backup all phone settings, data and apps. Maybe even TitaniumBU and do the same. Then, I would copy all of that off the SD card to my computer.

this way, you have several possible backups to piece your data and settings back as they were IF the ROM from phone 1 cannot load on phone 2.

someone with exact experience can pipe in and say if a ROM from phone 1 can go to phone 2.. assuming you even get the same type of replacement phone as who says you even will? if not, another reason all those backups can come in handy to piece your data back at least. A flashed ROM - as your only backup - won't be much help to reconstruct data that can be use on any Droid phone if the ROM doesn't take or you get a different phone.

Upvote 0
So am I correct in assuming that all that info is saved on the sd card

yes

that is why backing up the SD card is pretty critical as well. I back mine up weekly.. take off any new data - rom backups, vids, pictures, app + data backups, etc - put it all onto my computer

BTW, things like SMS/mms, calendar and some phone data, call logs, etc and such will not be on your card. those are on the phone in the system dialer app. that is why an independent backup app is nice to have and use as well as ROM backups as they can serve 2 different purposes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones